Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:18 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,573,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

Let it encompass a cell phone in someway, though, and all of a sudden it's the crises of our time. Give me a break. Next thing you know, we're going to be told that cell phones are responsible for the latest virus outbreak and violence in the Middle East.

Lets be realistic here for a moment. People text on their phone while driving go to the movies & refuse to get off the phone & then get highly upset when you call them on it. My parents were never around & if they were no one dared to get up & answer then phone during dinner. We have lost that connection to some extent. I posted something about kids giving up their cell phones for a week.

Most kids admitted that they felt less pressure not having to check out social media, etc. Texting, social media,etc isn't connecting with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 12:25 PM

36,672 posts, read 30,985,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
You know, I remember my mother talking on the landline phone to my aunt for a good hour while I did my own thing (and I was told sternly to not interrupt her unless the house was on fire), her going to night school, my father watching TV or hanging out at the country store with his buddies, me being in my own room immersed in my own world reading encyclopedias or building something with the Erector set etc. No one thought anything of us "not spending time with each other."
I remember this too. Mom talking on the phone, having coffee with the neighbor ladies, Dad hanging with his friends in the back yard while us kids did our thing. The difference being we still spent family time together without phones. We watched TV together, played cards, board games, Bad mitten, croquet, and LOL even jarts, went hiking, camping, etc. all without phones and we were forbidden to answer the phone during supper. We talked to one another.

I think generally today people are busier, more rushed and have less family time. A lot of that time is spent on phones, texting, Fb, etc.

No, its none of my business what others do but I do think it is a shame and I applaud efforts to bring awareness to this and encourage real face time.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:57 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,573,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

I think generally today people are busier, more rushed and have less family time. A lot of that time is spent on phones, texting, Fb, etc.

I have to wonder if that's true. I would up my cell phone if my wife was okay with it I have no problem having a land line myself.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,496,838 times
One thing for sure, it's gotten them a lot of publicity. Ten pages here alone and still going strong.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:26 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,288,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
One thing for sure, it's gotten them a lot of publicity. Ten pages here alone and still going strong.
Doesn't count if we're not spending money.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:00 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,813,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
K

Lmfao
Anything & everything offends libs these days.......
Even free ice cream
If my memory serves me correctly, it is the conversatives who loudly every time around December when someone says happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events