Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 05:41 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,055,623 times

Advertisements

Remind me again how he was responsible for her killing herself and why her family refused to bail her out when she asked them to do so?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 07:56 AM

21,516 posts, read 10,640,944 times
That's what I want to know too. It is really disgusting. Did he overreact to her rudeness and refusal to follow orders? Probably, but people need to acknowledge her role in her own arrest. All she had to do was follow orders. The black girl pulled over before her was polite and got off with a warning.

I read an opinion piece the other day criticizing Chris Rock's Oscar performance because he said there was a time when black people had real things to protest (as opposed to millionaire actors mad they weren't nominated for Oscars when the vast field of white actors, producers, directors, et al. aren't nominated either).

This guy actually put Sandra Bland in the category of black people murdered by police in the last year, with Freddie Gray and others. No mention that she killed herself. Do people still believe that the officer brought a squad of goons to rough her up in her cell and make it look like suicide? Do they not know the State Trooper is not a Waller County jailer, or that the majority of the Waller County jailers were black? Like the black jailers are going to allow the trooper to bring in people to kill someone just for being a black woman who talked back to an officer? People really need a reality check if that's the belief. Use your common sense.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,997,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Remind me again how he was responsible for her killing herself and why her family refused to bail her out when she asked them to do so?
He perjured himself. Cops are supposed to tell the truth, right? He was not fired because she died, but because he lied.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
He perjured himself. Cops are supposed to tell the truth, right? He was not fired because she died, but because he lied.
That was a matter of perception. He said what he believed to be true, but the DPS said later it wasn't true. He said he removed Bland from her vehicle to further conduct a safer traffic investigation. I watched the video and can easily see how he thought that to be true.

I think he escalated the situation too much, but so did she. And she killed herself in jail after waiting three days for a family member or friend to bail her out, which no one did. Now they have a wrongful death suit against the officer, who wasn't in charge of the jail or responsible for her being forced to stay in said jail for three days before she killed herself.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:15 AM

1,936 posts, read 1,830,093 times
Anyone ever heard of someone being arrested for appearing to be agitated for getting a citation while smoking a cigarette? Heck, the jails would be over-running with people if they are arrested for being po'd.

Glad he was FIRED FINALLY!

Old 03-04-2016, 05:02 AM

16,378 posts, read 10,520,531 times
I followed this story very closely and agree the officer overreacted but the woman was belligerent and played a role in this for sure. As posted other motorists are polite and comply and they leave with a warning. When a cop asks you politely to put out your cigarette you put it out. This is not that hard. With that said that was not grounds for an arrest.

As for his firing I don't know enough about the "lies" to have an opinion.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I followed this story very closely and agree the officer overreacted but the woman was belligerent and played a role in this for sure. As posted other motorists are polite and comply and they leave with a warning. When a cop asks you politely to put out your cigarette you put it out. This is not that hard. With that said that was not grounds for an arrest.

As for his firing I don't know enough about the "lies" to have an opinion.
She wasn't arrested for not putting out her cigarette. It was her behavior after he asked her to get out of her car. Anyone with a brain could see she wasn't going to go home after she acted that way to a cop. The question is why was she there in jail three days later. There is no reason she should have been in there so long, but I guess if the charge is resisting arrest they can't just release them without bail being posted.

The whole thing was tragic, but not in any way in the same category as Freddie Gray or Eric Garner.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:47 AM

6,494 posts, read 4,110,179 times
Honestly, I don't believe this was a race issue. Honestly the area we live in has a university- Prairie View A and M that is 89% Black or around that. This guy probably pulled over a lot of young black college students and the area of Northern Katy is approaching 20% or more African American, it's not like the officer was living in a shell. It just puts a bad light on this part of Houston and honestly the woman probably committed suicide. I constantly frequent that area and it is the only area in Katy were you can find a black barbershop. For obvious reasons I don't think the attack was at all racially motivated.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Honestly, I don't believe this was a race issue. Honestly the area we live in has a university- Prairie View A and M that is 89% Black or around that. This guy probably pulled over a lot of young black college students and the area of Northern Katy is approaching 20% or more African American, it's not like the officer was living in a shell. It just puts a bad light on this part of Houston and honestly the woman probably committed suicide. I constantly frequent that area and it is the only area in Katy were you can find a black barbershop. For obvious reasons I don't think the attack was at all racially motivated.
I know the barbershop you are talking about. It is outside my neighborhood. It has a good reputation. The guy lived nearby. I am assuming his kids would go to the same school as my kids. It is not a wealthy area or mostly white. He is Hispanic. Knowing the area, I can guarantee that he had neighbors and friends and his kid's friends who were black. I just don't buy it that he was racist. Arrogant, maybe. One of those "respect my authoriti" kind of cops for sure. But probably not racist.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:14 AM

2,193 posts, read 1,394,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That's what I want to know too. It is really disgusting. Did he overreact to her rudeness and refusal to follow orders? Probably, but people need to acknowledge her role in her own arrest. All she had to do was follow orders. The black girl pulled over before her was polite and got off with a warning.
She did not have to put out her cigarette. He should have never arrested her. People have rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events