Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 06:42 AM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
She did not have to put out her cigarette. He should have never arrested her. People have rights.
She did not have to do so, but the time to fight about it is in court, not with the person who has the power to throw you in jail. He asked her to put out her cig, she said no. He then asked her to get out of her car, and she refused. That was the point where he got mad. Not at the cigarette, but her refusal to follow his orders. I know it was an overreaction, but he did not cause her death. She did. There is simply no way around that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 09:55 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
She did not have to put out her cigarette. He should have never arrested her. People have rights.
We all understand this, as I said she never should have been arrested. But her behavior led to the cops getting pissed and overreacting. Of course we have rights but everyone should know by now the smart play is to comply

I never claimed she was arrested for not putting out her cigarette out, but really that is exactly what happened. As the post above said she was not asked to get out of the car until the cigarette issue. Everyone knows when you are asked to get out of the car that means you are going to jail.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
We all understand this, as I said she never should have been arrested. But her behavior led to the cops getting pissed and overreacting. Of course we have rights but everyone should know by now the smart play is to comply

I never claimed she was arrested for not putting out her cigarette out, but really that is exactly what happened. As the post above said she was not asked to get out of the car until the cigarette issue. Everyone knows when you are asked to get out of the car that means you are going to jail.
Yes overreacting, in other words he is a hothead. If you're going to lose your cool so quickly when dealing with the public than find another line of work. Not everyone is in a job suited for them, from nurses who have no empathy and just got into the field for what they think is a recession proof paycheck(and it isn't), to people who teach and start to dislike kids.

This guy lost his cool very quickly.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:53 PM

613 posts, read 463,119 times
Sandra Bland knew her rights. I'd hate to live in a country where you have to forfeit your rights when a police officer approaches you and just do everything he/she tells you. If it took some sass to make the cop lose his cool in that way, he never should have been a cop. Some cops need to understand that they work for the people. Their job is to enforce the law; they aren't the law.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:08 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
She did not have to do so, but the time to fight about it is in court, not with the person who has the power to throw you in jail. He asked her to put out her cig, she said no. He then asked her to get out of her car, and she refused. That was the point where he got mad. Not at the cigarette, but her refusal to follow his orders. I know it was an overreaction, but he did not cause her death. She did. There is simply no way around that fact.
Her death was a result of being arrested for no good reason except a power trip by the idiot ex-cop. There are too many cop apologists who put the blame on the citizen. Yet, only one of the two was paid a salary and trained properly to deal with these types of altercations. If the ex-cop had done his job as trained, he would have written the ticket and let her be on her way. I hope he can sleep good at night knowing he is part of a nationwide problem.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:41 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Not for being smokers. Being a smoker is not a protected class.

Seriously. Think of all the situations in the US where one can be denied smoking.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:25 PM

1,548 posts, read 912,764 times
I was on the cops side - until I saw the video. He acted like an ass, I'm sorry.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:39 PM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Seriously. Think of all the situations in the US where one can be denied smoking.
Not sure your own car qualifies.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:04 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

Well, the " smart" move of compliance with unlawful orders isn't always as smart as you think. I can think of at least three cops in my county who used their authority to sexually abuse women who were alone and pulled over. They were fired and prosecuted, but the damage was done.

Being a cop is like being a doctor. You have a tremendous amount of power. Abusing that power is despicable. I'm glad he was fired, though I do not believe there was any criminal intent on his part. He just sucked at his job.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:17 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Being a smoker while inside your personal space, inside of your vehicle is considered protected personal space...

So I will ask why it is folks get away with pulling their guns ( out of fear for their life) and off whomever threatens them ( you know the SYG laws)...BUT that same space isn't protected when it comes to having a cigarette inside same vehicle ..and she paid the taxes on those smokes..so are something legally purchased....

Arresting someone just because you can..whether rightful or not..bail set so high that those who are not affluent can't afford it....Once again..Only the Rich/affluent seem to come up with it..then sue after and get it back..while the "Lesser's" get hung out to dry..Say, what you want..It's called State Sanctioned harassment, unlawful arrests targeting the folks whomever a particular officer has a beef!!

Cops of a power trip does NOT trump civil rights, last I heard..however..those rights seem to only apply to selected ones!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events