Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 844 times

Advertisements

'Swatting' prank scares Beaverton man - KPTV - FOX 12

Mod cut: Copyrighted material deleted.

I watch this guy on YT quite a bit and am not at all surprised he got swatted.

Many others have also been and it's so ridiculous how easy it is for some punk to lie and get freakin' SWAT teams sent to someone they don't like house.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-24-2016 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 06:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
He needs to move to a quieter neighborhood.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:23 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,969,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
He needs to move to a quieter neighborhood.
Quieter neighborhood isn't going to help him when the SWAT team is being called on him in these, "pranks."

Old 03-18-2016, 12:37 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reila View Post
I watch this guy on YT quite a bit and am not at all surprised he got swatted.

Many others have also been and it's so ridiculous how easy it is for some punk to lie and get freakin' SWAT teams sent to someone they don't like house.
What pesses me off most is that they can't track these punks.

El Nox

Old 03-18-2016, 10:19 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
I'm more curious as to what would happen if one of these prank SWAT calls turns deadly...on either side.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:29 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,428,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm more curious as to what would happen if one of these prank SWAT calls turns deadly...on either side.
I know if someone in my family got killed from one of these that I would sue the crap out of the local law enforcement - law enforcement needs to do some kind of double check that these calls are real before they go busting down someone's door. Maybe a good lawsuit would force LE policies and practices to change.

I would also take every dime I have if need be to hire a private detective to find the prankster and once found I would do everything in my power to make their life a living hell. I would get them arrested and imprisoned if possible, and sue them for every dime they have. If they have no money and/or can't be imprisoned, or they're in another country, there are plenty of things that can be done from a distance to make someone's life unpleasant.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:43 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
I would also take every dime I have if need be to hire a private detective to find the prankster and once found I would do everything in my power to make their life a living hell. I would get them arrested and imprisoned if possible, and sue them for every dime they have. If they're in another country, there are plenty of things that can be done from a distance to make someone's life unpleasant.
If the people doing this are even halfway competent, it would be almost impossible to find them.

They put on a hat, sunglasses, and a generic looking shirt/jacket. They buy a burner phone and minutes at WalMart or Target. They pay for it with cash. They make the call from someplace with lots of people and lots of cell traffic. They then turn off the phone (removing the battery) and throw it in a river, along with the hat.

No one is going to track them down. And a PI is going to make less headway than law enforcement, because the store isn't coughing up sales information or serveillance tapes without a valid warrant, and the mobile provider isn't going to trace the call to a cell point without one, either. And even if they did, if the caller has done everything right then that evidence isn't going to identify them.

That's what's so unfortunate about these situations - it's very easy to do one at very low risk to oneself.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:55 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
If the people doing this are even halfway competent, it would be almost impossible to find them.

They put on a hat, sunglasses, and a generic looking shirt/jacket. They buy a burner phone and minutes at WalMart or Target. They pay for it with cash. They make the call from someplace with lots of people and lots of cell traffic. They then turn off the phone (removing the battery) and throw it in a river, along with the hat.

No one is going to track them down. And a PI is going to make less headway than law enforcement, because the store isn't coughing up sales information or serveillance tapes without a valid warrant, and the mobile provider isn't going to trace the call to a cell point without one, either. And even if they did, if the caller has done everything right then that evidence isn't going to identify them.

That's what's so unfortunate about these situations - it's very easy to do one at very low risk to oneself.
So you are saying CSI shows are not real???

Old 03-18-2016, 12:49 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,428,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

People doing pranks like this are amateurs that most likely won't know how to completely cover their tracks. Russian mobsters and scammers in Nigeria that would be impossible to track aren't the types of people doing things like this - there's no benefit in it for them. Pranks like this are personal, which means the victim almost certainly knows and/or has had contact with the perpetrator, making it much easier for them to be identified. It even said in the article that the guy is pretty certain that this prank stems from one particular very recent incident online so the prankster can most likely be identified, if there's enough money and/or motivation in it for someone to do so.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:30 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
I know if someone in my family got killed from one of these that I would sue the crap out of the local law enforcement - law enforcement needs to do some kind of double check that these calls are real before they go busting down someone's door. Maybe a good lawsuit would force LE policies and practices to change.

I would also take every dime I have if need be to hire a private detective to find the prankster and once found I would do everything in my power to make their life a living hell. I would get them arrested and imprisoned if possible, and sue them for every dime they have. If they have no money and/or can't be imprisoned, or they're in another country, there are plenty of things that can be done from a distance to make someone's life unpleasant.
Yeah, but how do you really feel about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events