Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 11:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
The education system can not do everything. If people don't want to raise kids responsibly, they shouldn't have kids.

This whole downward spiral started with the breakdown of the family and the education system taking on more.
No but they can have better discipline policies towards students.
It's a joke what students are allowed to get away with.
All because the school wants to make sure they qualify for their federal $$$$.
Students not in school count against the school for fed $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 11:37 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,942,243 times
Those thugs belong in prison for a long time; they tried to burn that family alive.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:25 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,315,656 times
They need to be expelled.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:33 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,567,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
They need to be expelled.
I am pretty sure that is a given. How about many years in prison.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:59 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,643,377 times
OMG!! What the hell is wrong with people today? Why on earth would you try to murder someone because you broke the law and were suspended for drug use? Parents of the Year Award nominees right here! Animals like this make me realize why the death penalty still exists. If they're trying to burn people to death while in high school, they will never be anything in society as adults.....they'll just continue on their path to becoming murderers.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,643,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The kids run the schools these days.

I work in the schools. And I refuse to go into any HS anymore.
It's one thing to get cursed out by 12 year olds but at 16-18 they not only curse you out but threaten you.

The last incident I had in a HS was a kid who wouldn't stop talking while someone was reading out loud.
I asked him to please stop talking. His friends snickered at him and he blew up at me telling me I "disrespected him and I was going to get what was owed to me". Then he stormed out of the classroom. I let him go and just called the office. Said he threatened me and I let him walk.

At the end of the day I went to the office. The secretary apologized to me for the student and that he went to ISS for the rest of the day. (ISS is in school suspension). Basically a slap on the wrist and to kids like that ISS means they don't have to go to class or do any work.

Since then I have refused any and all HS jobs.
Wow school has certainly changed! Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was in high school, ISS didn't mean you don't have any work. The exact opposite! They gave you the lessons for the day. You had to complete the work done in class and the homework while serving the suspension. You had to show the work to the teacher before you could leave for the day. If it wasn't done, you were sent to detention. If it still wasn't done because you weren't really doing it - not because you needed help and made an effort - you were in ISS again the next day now with 2 days of work. Rinse. Repeat. If you racked up 3 days of this, you were then given OSS which was basically a day off for the frequent flyers.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:49 PM

78,543 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The kids run the schools these days.

I work in the schools. And I refuse to go into any HS anymore.
It's one thing to get cursed out by 12 year olds but at 16-18 they not only curse you out but threaten you.

The last incident I had in a HS was a kid who wouldn't stop talking while someone was reading out loud.
I asked him to please stop talking. His friends snickered at him and he blew up at me telling me I "disrespected him and I was going to get what was owed to me". Then he stormed out of the classroom. I let him go and just called the office. Said he threatened me and I let him walk.

At the end of the day I went to the office. The secretary apologized to me for the student and that he went to ISS for the rest of the day. (ISS is in school suspension). Basically a slap on the wrist and to kids like that ISS means they don't have to go to class or do any work.

Since then I have refused any and all HS jobs.
Yep. I had the principal call me a few years ago over something one of my kids did. Mind you we aren't in a *rough* school area...typically pretty mixed income etc.

They almost sounded shocked when I completely took their side and told them that there would be further punishment at home for their actions. You could tell they were preparing to hear a flurry of excuses, deflections and otherwise complete refusal to take any responsibility.

I hear all the same stuff from my relatives that work in teaching (rural Illinois).

It's a widespread social affliction....involves kids of different races, household incomes, geography etc etc.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:32 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,913,963 times
'The roof is on fire. But we don't need no water, let the mth- f-- burn!!'

Old 03-09-2016, 07:01 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,152,248 times
Geez. And I remember feeling like a jerk for sprinkling a bunch of fake toy cockroaches on a teacher's desk during junior high because she didn't accept a two-week late paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Back in my day (I graduated in 1978) we'da just toilet papered his house... what IS the world coming to?
I was born in 1990, graduated high school in 2008, and what they did is unthinkable to me, too. I must be old now.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:25 PM

736 posts, read 354,285 times
Kids these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events