Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 02:41 PM

3,837 posts, read 1,787,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
The issue is not how long he would have lived in the wild, the issue is how he has been treated, his whole life. He has had a horrible life and zero quality of life, because of us humans. Yes, he killed people, and it's awful what happened, but an animal can only take so much before it snaps. Someone mentioned his dorsal fin, that is only the way it is because of captivity, he wasn't like that in the wild. And whales live longer in the wild than they do in captivity.

It's absolutely vile, horrible and immoral how Sea World has treated the orca whales, especially their artificial breeding program they forced upon Tilikum.

The way they used him for breeding methods should be illegal.

10 Things You Didn't Know About SeaWorld - SeaWorld of Hurt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 02:44 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
Give me a break. Dogs are domesticated, whales are not. Most dogs want to be with us and crave human attention. Whales do not want to be captured. But yes, we should feel bad about how some dogs are treated, puppy mills etc. And honestly why am I bothering replying, you either get it or you don't. You may want to look up how Tillikum was treated at Sealand, where he lived every night when the show was over. Sounds great to me....sigh
Dogs weren't always domesticated. Wolves and coyotes aren't and are illegal as pets almost everywhere. Being domesticated does NOT mean they aren't animals and can't become wild animals. There are plenty of dogs who survive living on the streets who were once pets. Cows are also considered a domesticated animal. Ever been around cows? They are usually terrified of humans! Even ones raised with people around them all day long are not like your dog.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:11 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Some do. Some do not. The ones who get sick or injured certainly don't. There is absolutely no guarantee for any of them in the ocean or in a tank. The ones in the tank are well fed and given medical care. This is not at all the case with ones in the ocean.

So you're raging on SeaWorld, have you ever had a pet? What's the difference?
No difference. My parrot, Harold, dreams about flying above the rainforest but he surely knows being in a six cubic foot cage in the corner of my living room with regular meals, a USA Today to read and my undying devotion is far better. At least he can sleep without worrying about a snake taking him out. Same for Art, my chiweenie. I imagine he sometimes wishes he was still with his pack roaming the savanna hunting down jackalopes but getting his poop picked up and two squares a day is a far better deal.

Man was given dominion over the beasts and, by Crackie, we will use that privilege.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:38 PM

888 posts, read 555,643 times
Dogs weren't always domesticated. Wolves and coyotes aren't and are illegal as pets almost everywhere. Being domesticated does NOT mean they aren't animals and can't become wild animals. There are plenty of dogs who survive living on the streets who were once pets. Cows are also considered a domesticated animal. Ever been around cows? They are usually terrified of humans! Even ones raised with people around them all day long are not like your dog

Ok, dogs can live on the street if they have to. Yes, animals can become wild if they are forced to. But so? And yes, I am sure cows are terrified of us. The way we treat farmed meat is disgusting as well, which is why don't eat it. can't we progress a bit and change our way of thinking? We now how know cruel the capture is of the whales, we know about the cruelty of the cove and the capture of the dolphins, so why continue to do it? Because we can? The whole point of the thread was that this particular whale is dying, and had a bad life. Because of he was captured. He would have had a better life if we had just left him alone. That is really the end of the story.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:46 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
[b]He would have had a better life if we had just left him alone. That is really the end of the story.[/B

]you don't know that- that is your assumption- maybe yes maybe no-

Old 03-11-2016, 08:06 AM

888 posts, read 555,643 times
The fact someone says maybe yes, maybe no, proves you don't know anything about how this whale has lived. Maybe? Wow, just wow, I can't look at this thread anymore, it's making me too sad that people still just don't get it. no wonder the butchers at the cove are still making millions slaughtering dolphins and keeping the pretty ones to do tricks for us, because there is still a market for this crap.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:51 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
At 30, he's a year beyond the expected life span of a killer whale in the wild. Captivity for a male is about 17 years.

Life expectancy of a Orca in the wild is typically 30 years they can live between 60 to 70 years.

Killer whale <em>(Orcinus orca)</em> :: NOAA Fisheries

Old 03-11-2016, 09:13 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
No difference. My parrot, Harold, dreams about flying above the rainforest but he surely knows being in a six cubic foot cage in the corner of my living room with regular meals, a USA Today to read and my undying devotion is far better. At least he can sleep without worrying about a snake taking him out. Same for Art, my chiweenie. I imagine he sometimes wishes he was still with his pack roaming the savanna hunting down jackalopes but getting his poop picked up and two squares a day is a far better deal.

Man was given dominion over the beasts and, by Crackie, we will use that privilege.
Experimented on my dog last night. I told him he was free to go and let him out. He went out, circled around and came back. I got down to tell him he REALLY was free to go. He did the same thing. Is there a better method or way to get across to a dog that he is better off on his own?

Old 03-11-2016, 09:32 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Experimented on my dog last night. I told him he was free to go and let him out. He went out, circled around and came back. I got down to tell him he REALLY was free to go. He did the same thing. Is there a better method or way to get across to a dog that he is better off on his own?
You are aware of the difference between 15,000 to 30,000 years of canine domestication and specialized breeding and 50 years since the first live capture of an Orca which by the way are factors smarter and self-aware than Fido.

Last edited by TheWiseWino; 03-11-2016 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-11-2016, 10:48 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
You are aware of the difference between 15,000 to 30,000 years of canine domestication and specialized breeding and 50 years since the first live capture of an Orca which by the way are factors smarter and self-aware than Fido.
So you are saying I should keep the dog right???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events