Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 08:09 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times

Advertisements

Click bait title this piece of trash was 28
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 08:47 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
How do they get away with not only shooting at a fleeing suspect, but shooting a guy already on the ground?
Corruption at its finest once again.
That's their job. It's their duty to stop armed fleeing suspects. Otherwise, all any criminal would have to do is run the other way, and the cops throw up their arms and say, "Oh, shoots. They're running away instead of staying here to be arrested. Darn it."

They didn't shoot to kill. Once on the ground, he was still armed, and still trying to get up to flee instead of obeying commands to stay on the ground. They shot him in the leg at that point, and FINALLY the perp stayed on the ground.

Totally appropriate actions by the police. That is actually their job.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:54 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Excuse me "notmeofficer" I know you are a cop and support them regardless. I am not a cop hater. I teach civilians to defend themselves with firearms. I am just saying that a civilian would be charged in this case. Someone several feet from a gun on the ground is VERY questionable as to if they are a deadly threat. Pretty much, for civilians someone without a gun in their hand is NOT an IMMEDIATE deadly threat.

So why do cops get to execute unarmed people? Cops do not get to shoot first and ask questions later any mire than civilians can.

Believe me, I'd like a "shoot on sight" law as much as anyone. "So n so was runnng away with my tv, so I shot him in the back. " It would stop crime. But we can't do that. Neither can cops.
A civilian is different from law enforcement. It's their JOB to stop armed criminals from fleeing. Otherwise, all any criminal would have to do is run away, and know he's scott free because cops don't pursue arrest. Duh.

They didn't shoot to kill. The perp did NOT obey commands to stay on the ground. The perp still moved toward his gun and tried to get up. They shot him in the leg. Totally appropriate. That's the job that law enforcement does.

The cops acted appropriately. It's their job.

Same thing with chasing a car that's fleeing. Some people think cops shouldn't give chase. Well, duh....if cops don't chase, then all any criminal has to do is drive away, with the comforting knowledge that the cops can't follow him. Duh!j

Some people just hate cops and fail to understand that they are given a job to do that is not what ordinary citizens are allowed to do. Cops are on the streets confronting violent criminals every day and are charged with the task of catching and arresting them. This involves violence sometimes. Violent criminals frequently don't give up easily or follow commands. Like this stupid perp.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:23 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
That's their job. It's their duty to stop armed fleeing suspects. Otherwise, all any criminal would have to do is run the other way, and the cops throw up their arms and say, "Oh, shoots. They're running away instead of staying here to be arrested. Darn it."

They didn't shoot to kill. Once on the ground, he was still armed, and still trying to get up to flee instead of obeying commands to stay on the ground. They shot him in the leg at that point, and FINALLY the perp stayed on the ground.

Totally appropriate actions by the police. That is actually their job.
That is exactly as I see it as well. I have no problem what so ever with this shooting. I agree that I'm surprised he wasn't hurt more with 3 rounds in him.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:17 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne
The reporter said the guy is 28 but the thread title says he is a teen.
Who knows what the truth is!!

Old 03-13-2016, 04:10 PM

52 posts, read 57,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Muscle memory is not a valid justification of defense. They do not get a "pass" - YOU would definately not get a pass. The fact that cops are unreasonably keyed up because they deal with scum all day is invalid.
if the criminal was black then the officer would be on death row by now. But because the criminal was white he "gets a pass".

Old 03-13-2016, 04:53 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Click bait title this piece of trash was 28
Yeah, that was my mistake. Of course that is what the damn thread will be about. TEEN!!!! Geez, I for some reason thought he was a teen, but he isn't, he is 28. Okay, but still he was on the ground. Glad he lived, but the police will be paying some money for this mistake. They need better training and STOP hiring military for this job. This IS NOT the same type of job for the people with those high and tight haircuts. Not even close to the same job!

Old 03-13-2016, 05:15 PM

so just because he's a few years older than a teen now it's ok for him to get shot while unarmed and laying on the ground.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:47 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking about texas View Post
so just because he's a few years older than a teen now it's ok for him to get shot while unarmed and laying on the ground.
The point has been made a few times, and you ignore it.

He was making a motion towards the gun; I would have shot also. NO one can read a person's mind, and he had proven to be a danger to others, and the police knew that. Should the police have waited until he got closer to the gun? Waited until he touched the gun? Waited until he shot?

Old 03-13-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The point has been made a few times, and you ignore it.

He was making a motion towards the gun; I would have shot also. NO one can read a person's mind, and he had proven to be a danger to others, and the police knew that. Should the police have waited until he got closer to the gun? Waited until he touched the gun? Waited until he shot?
toward the gun that was a couple body lengths away when there were two armed officers with guns pointed on him between him and the gun. Sure, that justifies it. simply bending down and restraining the man while the other officer kicks the gun even further away or just picks it up certainly wasn't the right thing to do here. the boy (28 is still a boy) had to be shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events