Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 08:18 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times

Advertisements

Schools around the nation are adding yoga programs, which have proven to help reduce students’ stress and anxiety levels. But one Georgia district found the reaction to its lessons anything but calm.
Bullard Elementary School in Kennesaw decided to make changes to its yoga classes after Christian parents complained about the Hindu origins of the exercises.
“No prayer in schools. Some don’t even say the pledge, yet they’re pushing ideology on our students,” mother Susan Jaramillo told 11Alive. “Some of those things are religious practices that we don’t want our children doing in our schools.”
The school hasn’t cancelled yoga; however, principal Patrice Moore sent a letter of apology to parents and vowed to tweak the program.

Yoga can also help children with anger issues, bullying or anxiety over school work, Crawford said.

Christian Parents Freak Out Over Yoga Lessons At Georgia Elementary School

More control from the religious community. I'm assuming that parents would rather have their kids hooked on over the counter drugs because it's worked so very well for their parents.
I am one for not having any religious teaching in schools but this isn't teaching kids about religion either.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:25 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Reminds me of a scene from the Hilda Aguirre movie, "Nadie te querrá como yo" (1972) (Spanish) where Hilda has entered a convent and she is trying to help her sister entry nun meditate, so she suggests humming techniques from the east.
The Mother Superior is walking by, hears the hums, and walks in to find the other nun in the mediation pose, hands up, fingers and thumbs together, eyes closed. The Mother Superior is staring. Hilda's character calmly says there is nothing to worry about, it is just Buda meditation.

"BUDA! In my convent!" The Mother Superior says in shock!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:33 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Schools around the nation are adding yoga programs, which have proven to help reduce students’ stress and anxiety levels. But one Georgia district found the reaction to its lessons anything but calm.
Bullard Elementary School in Kennesaw decided to make changes to its yoga classes after Christian parents complained about the Hindu origins of the exercises.
“No prayer in schools. Some don’t even say the pledge, yet they’re pushing ideology on our students,” mother Susan Jaramillo told 11Alive. “Some of those things are religious practices that we don’t want our children doing in our schools.”
The school hasn’t cancelled yoga; however, principal Patrice Moore sent a letter of apology to parents and vowed to tweak the program.
That's as dumb as claiming that the fourth day of the work week is 'religious' because it has origins in a deity of the Norse pagans ('Thor's Day').

Sadly, the sheer ignorance of people rarely surprises me anymore...

Old 03-25-2016, 08:45 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Elementary kids need yoga to relax?

Old 03-25-2016, 08:53 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Actually, it's a perfect time to teach them. Yoga and meditation can be great for self-regulation, and making it a habit and a skill early on is a good idea. I only really tried meditation when I reached my 30s, and I wish I had known how to do it as a young teen, when I was full of anxiety and stress.

An ex-boyfriend of mine taught in 4th graders in a public school where many of the kids should have been classified with mental health issues or learning disabilities. He found that a great way to get the kids calmed and centered was to do a sort of guided meditation with them where they put their heads on the desks and he just walked them through some breathing exercises and calming thought processes.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:54 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
I've studied Hinduism, and there is nothing about yoga as practiced by the average American that would lead someone to adopt Hinduism as their religion. This is stupid taken to a whole new level.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:11 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Of course not we stick them something like Ritalin & this way they can be hooked for life.

http://ritalinsideeffects.net/

RITALIN-SR IS A FEDERALLY CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE (CII) BECAUSE IT CAN BE ABUSED OR LEAD TO DEPENDENCE.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:14 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times
38 Hollywood A-Listers Join the Protest over Georgia?s Anti-gay Bill | Vanity Fair

"On Wednesday, Disney, Marvel Studios, and AMC all took a strong stance against Georgia’s pending religious-liberty bill."

These studios are threatening to pull out of the state of Georgia due to its anti-gay status. Atlanta has been called the Hollywood of the South. I don't know what's wrong with the state of Georgia but they really need to take another look at themselves. I assume there are some normal people in Georgia who will prevail and that eventually the state will come to its senses--but it seems that they have quite a way to go.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:43 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,086,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
38 Hollywood A-Listers Join the Protest over Georgia?s Anti-gay Bill | Vanity Fair

"On Wednesday, Disney, Marvel Studios, and AMC all took a strong stance against Georgia’s pending religious-liberty bill."

I assume there are some normal people in Georgia who will prevail and that eventually the state will come to its senses.
Hey! I've got an idea; let's all hold our breath till that happens!

Old 03-25-2016, 09:45 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Give me a break. "Namaste" is a term of respect given to another; nothing more. I don't understand Christians. Many of them are fanatical yet simultaneously very insecure about their religion. If their faith is as strong as they claim it is, and they are so certain that the one true God is the Christian version, they should have no problem at all with their kids studying world religions or any other topic related to religion, because they would know that their kids will retain their belief in the Christian monotheistic God no matter what information they're presented with. Yet many parents seem to think that if anyone breathes a word about the possibility of other religious viewpoints, it will rub off on the kids and they will become hedonistic heathens bound for the Lake of Fire. Is their God really that incompetent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events