Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 02:54 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,033 times

Advertisements

glad to see the owner fired the idiot on the spot, even though it was his own son. what a douche
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 03:00 PM

Not to change the topic, but I actually had a negative experience about 2 months ago at a restaurant.

I always leave a cash tip and write a big 0 with a slash through it on the tip line of the credit card receipt. This server took it upon herself to add a $7 tip on the restaurant's copy of the receipt. when I saw the charge, I called them up and the manager apologized, made up some lame excuse and said she's been working there a while. He credited me the $7 and sent us a $20 gift card (big deal).

We went back there about a month later and she's STILL working there. I was furious.

even if the cash I left somehow disappeared, you're not allowed to STEAL from your customers. I can't believe she didn't get fired.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:43 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattx View Post
physical characteristic descriptions should be a big no. Just use the table number.
this ^^^

Old 06-25-2016, 03:57 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Customer called ‘fatty’ on receipt; restaurant owner apologizes | WAVY-TV

He needs to accept their apology and prove that he is a mature and forgiving person. Kids can be cruel, and the Father did the right thing!
I know of no mandate requiring someone to prove he's a forgiving person. The quality of forgiveness, like mercy, isn't strained.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:59 PM

545 posts, read 1,605,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Not to change the topic, but I actually had a negative experience about 2 months ago at a restaurant.

I always leave a cash tip and write a big 0 with a slash through it on the tip line of the credit card receipt. This server took it upon herself to add a $7 tip on the restaurant's copy of the receipt. when I saw the charge, I called them up and the manager apologized, made up some lame excuse and said she's been working there a while. He credited me the $7 and sent us a $20 gift card (big deal).

We went back there about a month later and she's STILL working there. I was furious.

even if the cash I left somehow disappeared, you're not allowed to STEAL from your customers. I can't believe she didn't get fired.
When I leave a cash tip, I write CASH on the tip line instead of 0, hoping that will keep your issue from happening.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:01 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Why is this news?

If Dillion were that ashamed of being called "fatty" why would he go around telling the world?

Kudos for the boss who fired his own son. I might have given him a scolding and another chance, but maybe it wasn't the first time.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:17 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,570 times
The restaurant owner did the right thing, and the customer should now accept that apology graciously.

It doesn't take a genius to know that you can describe someone else differently than "Fatty." Come on. You speak English, use your imagination. The kid just didn't care, thought his s*** didn't stink, probably based on being the son of the owner... well he thought wrong.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:26 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Was wondering when we'd read of the next "insult on receipt" news story, seems to be a popular past time for some servers.

Anyways, good for the owner.

And, as always, we have some people that fail to grasp the simple concept of basic customer service and decency.

I notice that whenever we have stories of workers in the service industry treating customers with disrespect, there will inevitably be a group of people that will dismiss the incidents by turning it around and blaming the customer for being offended.

Whether it's someone in a store trying on clothing, or someone being served in a restaurant, if these customers are insulted for their physical appearance or the like, then these customers need to lighten up, suck it up because it's true, or similar condescending statements.

Look, I don't give a toss if a customer is fat, ugly, short, etc., that isn't the point. The point is that a customer should never be insulted or treated with disrespect that way.

Why is that so hard for some to understand?

Old 06-25-2016, 05:38 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
No pic of Dillion in that article. There is a head shot the NYDNes article Restaurant owner fires his son after he called customer "fatty" - NY Daily News

Based upon the head shot he does appear to be very fat so the descriptor fatty is factually accurate. On one hand I understand that it was possibly intended as an insult, but it is possible it was intended as just a reminder as to whose drink it was. Like saying 'black girl' or 'Short guy'. it is not like fatty is clearly a horrible pejorative description. It is not like they refused to serve him. One being proud to be fat is a personal decision and right, but expecting people to not use the word fat to describe you, when you are clearly very fat, seems irrational to me.
So it's ok to call a gay man a "f-ag"?
It's nice that you don't think "fatty" is a pejorative to a fat person but, apparently, it was to the fat person in the article.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitlover View Post
When I leave a cash tip, I write CASH on the tip line instead of 0, hoping that will keep your issue from happening.
oh good idea! thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events