Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 01:32 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times

Advertisements

There are a great many children's historic novels about WWII, many written by authors who were children themselves during the war. Judith Kerr's "When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit"comes to mind, about a small Jewish child who is evacuated out of her country, inadvertently leaving her beloved pink bunny behind (lots more to it than that, just explaining the title). There are books about the Kristallnacht, about young Londoners being sent to the countryside for safety during the Blitz, books about kids' involvement in the resistance (Marie McSwiggan's "The Snow Treasure" comes to mind), and many, many more - fiction, yes, but highly realistic fiction about how wartime was perceived and experienced by children.

It's important for today's children to learn about WWII, and historic fiction can be a good introduction.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:56 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I learned in elementary school in the midwest, with the diary of Anne Frank as required reading, as did my children in school in the south, along with Elie Wiesel's book NIGHT. It was also a part of world history classes in middle/high school.
As far as I know these books are still a part of the reading requirements at many schools, and world history still covers these topics in HS classes.
And it sounds as though you are roughly my age so maybe you heard about the documentary series The World at War, a very graphic and horrifying account of WWII that ran on TV for months in the early 70's?
I fail to see how one could manage to get through the typical US high school and not understand how horrific these things were.
Simply by being overseas.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:57 PM

776 posts, read 580,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I bet if that kid wore a Stalin uniform nobody would think anything of it. Even though Stalin was as bad as Hitler. He killed millions also
Thank you for bring this up. I hear people all time idolize Julius, Bonaparte, and some others and then criticize Hitler, I just give them the stupidest looks. Just like politics, people only want to hear or learn what they want so support their views. Common knowledge of history today is no better off than the middle ages.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:56 PM

757 posts, read 838,631 times
"Stupid is as stupid does". Forrest Gump.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:11 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Simply by being overseas.
I did say US schools, but even so one would pretty much need to have lived under a rock to not realize that some things are simply not acceptable here and now. Using the 'n' word, making fun of developmentally challenged individuals, glorifying nazis?

Old 09-11-2016, 07:13 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I did say US schools, but even so one would pretty much need to have lived under a rock to not realize that some things are simply not acceptable here and now. Using the 'n' word, making fun of developmentally challenged individuals, glorifying nazis?
You made a reference to:

"And it sounds as though you are roughly my age so maybe you heard about the documentary series The World at War, a very graphic and horrifying account of WWII that ran on TV for months in the early 70's?"

By being overseas, I never saw that. When I was overseas, the English speaking TV was on for only a few hours of broadcast each day. It's not that it signed off at midnight after a day of broadcast but rather that it was on for 2-3 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours in the evening. In one hemisphere, we didn't even have a morning segment of broadcasting and not only that, but it was subject to heavy censorship. I think most of our night movies came from the 30's and 40's since those would satisfy the decency standards of the host country.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:43 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I bet if that kid wore a Stalin uniform nobody would think anything of it. Even though Stalin was as bad as Hitler. He killed millions also

This is true. People really don't know how evil Stalin was, he easily equaled Hitler in evilness and really they say he killed more. However our nation was allied with him in WW2 so our government did not present him as an evil in the propaganda of the day. Instead he was "Uncle Joe", when in reality he was "bloody Joe". We should not forget that he murdered millions of Soviet citizens, and he had intended to work with Hitler and divide up Poland between Germany and The Soviet Union. The only reason we ended up in an alliance with the Soviets is because Hilter double crossed Stalin and invaded the Soviet Union.

For some reason we see Hitler as more evil, and those who display Nazi symbols are somehow more offensive than those who display Soviet symbols. Obviously later Soviet leaders were no where near as bad as Stalin, even if they were our enemies, and that may play into this as well. Our only example of a Nazi leader is the uber evil Hitler. We have many examples of post Stalin area Soviet leaders such as Kruschtov, Bresnev, Andropov and Gorbechov. I know I butchered those Russian names but you get the point, they just are not in the same league as Stalin. When it comes to Hitler and Stalin however, I believe they are both equally monsterous.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:41 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
What differentiates Hitler from garden variety conquerors like Napoleon, or Alexander, is that he tried to actually exterminate a group of people based on their race, or ethnicity. This was not a case of him overrunning an enemy nation, and trying to wipe out the population in order to eliminate a threat (not good, but those things have happened in warfare). He targeted a group that lived in his country, and tried to wipe them out, based on their ethnicity, because he viewed them as lesser beings. Stalin was horrible, but his atrocities were typical of dictators who want to preserve their power, he just did it on a scale heretofore unseen. Both were monsters, but the fact that Hitler targeted members of a group with whom most westerners are familiar, makes his actions hit home a bit more. Pol Pot was probably as bad as Stalin, but because Stalin ruled one of the world's largest countries, the impact was much greater.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Nevertheless, when does one start reading such books? How many children these days read?

Further, when does one start to understand the horrors of such events, that they were really bad things?

In 7th and 8th grade, one of my "favorite" books in the library was an Amnesty International report on torture in Greece. Given a constant stream of Roger Corman flicks on TV and a certain encouragement to be blood thirsty, I could not appreciate that what I was readying was bad.

When does one start to learn about such things and when does one start to learn that they are indeed horrors?
When one, usually about 5th grade reads "The diary of Ann Frank" one learns quite a bit about the horror that was Hitler. Of course, if it's not on video or in a game the kidlets nowadays might not know about it.
Of course those of us who had relatives killed by that regime or have LIVING relatives with number tattoos learn at an early age what the deal was.

EPIC fail on the end of the school, I for one would love to have a "talk" with the "supposed" parents of this kid.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:02 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I agree. The Wehrmacht always looked very sharp, and the Schutzstaffel dressed to the nine's, all the way down to the cuff-links.

The Gestapo uniforms where copied from the Massachusetts State Police when the designer saw them on a trip to America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events