Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 11:54 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Something else that might come in handy (at least it did at UCF), is that the school library had a few copies of the book on hand. They wouldn't let you check the book out, but you could use it while in the library. If needed, you could make copies of pages (15 cents a page). Keep in mind, this was before smart phones with cameras.
Now they even have apps where you can take a photo and it can read it to you, or you can write, highlight, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 04:08 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky2 View Post
Many of my daughter's profs are just assigning readings off the internet, that can be accessed for free.
Well, a lot of times scholarly journal articles aren't "free". University libraries pay hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to subscribe to journal titles from major academic publishers. Your daughter is paying for access, just not directly.

Look into Open Educational Resources and Open Access to learn more about how librarians are trying to make content available.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:24 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Well, a lot of times scholarly journal articles aren't "free". University libraries pay hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to subscribe to journal titles from major academic publishers. Your daughter is paying for access, just not directly.
Well yeah, its built into their tuition, but they pay that even if they were to buy books as well. They may be paying for it, but not having to buy books still saves money.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Ordering books off Amazon can be risky, though, and a pain. They can take weeks to get to you, even if you expedite shipping. I know people who have had these issues for very important books that they needed but didn't have on time, even if they ordered them well in advance. And when you select them and they're in your cart, it'll tell you it can ship in as little as say, 3 days, yet when you're about to check out it will say "ready to ship in 3 weeks" and you're like whoa - what happened to 3 days? The only good thing about Amazon is the books are cheaper but IMO it's way more reliable to buy them in the school bookstore, or any other bookstore like Barnes and Noble. They're more expensive to buy but a lot of college bookstores offer buy back or rental programs which can save you a lot.
Of course this CAN happen. I did it as early as possible and NEVER ha this happen to me at all in all honesty, the four semesters I did it. Often the benefit was over $100. Why not do that if you do it as soon as the book list is posted on the campus bookstore website? I also had an issue of a professor not putting in the specific working papers for an accounting course at both the official school bookstore AND the off-campus bookstore. It took half the course before they finally were in because they were done so late.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I would not be for that. I try to avoid the ebooks. They're usually just as expensive, or I've even seen ones that are more expensive. And you cannot sell them back at the end of the semester. So even ones that are cheaper, end up being more in the long run.
Yep. There is no sell back. Like the textbook industry period, it's a racket designed to screw over students. It's an oligarchy that the government don't want to control and doesn't control. They screw over students with $100+ books and $25-50 codes that would need to be bought whether you got a used text or even an e-text. Sometimes, even the new books didn't even come with them... The textbook companies just care about profit, not the customers and deserved to be screwed by the secondary markets and rental services like half.com, Amazon and Chegg.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Something else that might come in handy (at least it did at UCF), is that the school library had a few copies of the book on hand. They wouldn't let you check the book out, but you could use it while in the library. If needed, you could make copies of pages (15 cents a page). Keep in mind, this was before smart phones with cameras.
I actually did that with a $40 accounting packet for cases. One thing my business school did was charge the kids in courses for packets that were "needed" in the course instead of I don't know giving it to students for "free" (after course fees and tuition of course.)

Old 09-21-2016, 03:00 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Exactly how I bought many of my kids college books a month or so ago.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
I can remember my school telling students they were not to pass books down to the next class because the books were outdated. Also the school bookstore wouldn't buy them back for that reason. One time I decided to compare the "new" edition with the old one. A few words here and there had been changed and some of the formatting was different but that was about it.

The older edition would have worked just as well but then the bookstore wouldn't have been able to charge for a brand new book.

If they now have to compete with Amazon and e-books now, it's their own fault.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:58 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,641,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Nobody was forcing you to buy the new edition. I had classes where I checked the previous edition out of the library and there were no issues with that as long as nobody else wanted to check out the same book. I actually got a notification one semester that I could not renew a book and had to return it in a week. At that point, I was able to find a cheap used copy online.
I should have written that more coherently. What I meant is whenever there was a new edition, we were not able to sell the books back to the campus bookstore after the semester. Because the bookstore would only purchase back "new edition" used books when there was an update, even if the changes were minor. Therefore, racket. And this was early 90's, well before online book resales.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I should have written that more coherently. What I meant is whenever there was a new edition, we were not able to sell the books back to the campus bookstore after the semester. Because the bookstore would only purchase back "new edition" used books when there was an update, even if the changes were minor. Therefore, racket. And this was early 90's, well before online book resales.
Even in the days of online resale it is this. It's still a racket. One I would love to see government comedown on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events