Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 11:06 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times

Advertisements

Looking at the daily mirror link pictures it all seems a bit odd. Firstly all the guys were fully clothed - would all of them voluntarily go in fully clothed? Secondly, there is only partially wet clothing, when they must have been submersed to drown. Thirdly - acc. to the report their families say they could all swim. This is a reservoir, its not the sea, its not a fast flowing river - and they were near the rock that was fallen off, not in a boat that sank miles away from rocks.

Of course its possible, but I think the police should question the survivor a bit more closely before they chalk this one up to accidental deaths. If it were my child - I'd certainly want the police to be sure.

Last edited by bg7; 09-20-2016 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 11:33 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Nobody is mocking there deaths, only the story. You seem to post a lot of comments about how threads shouldn't be here and people are wrong for posting in them.
Im just sharing my opinions like everyone else...and I am allowed to have them.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:34 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Looking at the daily mirror link pictures it all seems a bit odd. Firstly all the guys were fully clothed - would all of them voluntarily go in fully clothed?
The link also says that they tried to grab the first girl who fell in, and then tumbled in themselves. So it sounds like they were trying to reach her without going into the water. If they thought they were going to stay on land, why would they get undressed? Plus if that is what happened, then it would have happened so fast that they wouldn't have had time to react.

I would find it more odd if they had removed their clothes. To quote Titanic "It's interesting, the young lady slipped so suddenly and you still had time to remove your jacket and your shoes."

Old 09-20-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yes, Darwin Award, because none of the morons could swim!
We don't know that for sure...people die all the time from drowning who can swim. I saw a man who jumped in to rescue his dog who couldn't swim. He didn't realize how deep it was. One step and he was in over his head. Luckily other people who were strong swimmers were there to help. And really, it was a small creek

Old 09-20-2016, 11:45 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3dvZHFR7x0

The edges are quite steep...also there may have been a drainage grate or something that held them under. These kids were 18-20. How sad for their families.

They were just young adults/old kids out having fun and making some poor choices...which is sadly common...I know that, I have kids their ages who are "adventurous" as I was at that age.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:54 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Maybe someone should have reached out her selfie-stick to her?

Old 09-20-2016, 11:54 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The link also says that they tried to grab the first girl who fell in, and then tumbled in themselves. So it sounds like they were trying to reach her without going into the water. If they thought they were going to stay on land, why would they get undressed? Plus if that is what happened, then it would have happened so fast that they wouldn't have had time to react.

I would find it more odd if they had removed their clothes. To quote Titanic "It's interesting, the young lady slipped so suddenly and you still had time to remove your jacket and your shoes."
All four of the boys "tumbled in"?

And why would you find it odd they removed their clothes - pretty much anyone jumping into water to swim to save someone removes a bunch of their clothes quickly. Everyone knows wet clothes are heavy. No-one is going to try to swim in full clothes and jeans (that's if they have swum before - which their families seem to say they had).

I guess if the police have the same credulity as you they are just going to take the survivor's word at face value. If these kids didn't know how to swim, then the survivor's account would be more plausible. As it is, based on the few facts in the papers, alternatives should be pursued.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:56 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

The edges are quite steep...also there may have been a drainage grate or something that held them under. These kids were 18-20. How sad for their families.

They were just young adults/old kids out having fun and making some poor choices...which is sadly common...I know that, I have kids their ages who are "adventurous" as I was at that age.
What poor choices? The one who slipped on a rock, or the others that jumped in to try to help?

Old 09-20-2016, 12:04 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
What poor choices? The one who slipped on a rock, or the others that jumped in to try to help?
Going into an abandoned quarry that was closed off and illegal to enter, where there is water 80 feet deep and nowhere to stand, and obviously couldn't swim...

Old 09-20-2016, 12:04 PM

714 posts, read 747,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Why supposedly bright people who *knew* that they didn't know how to swim would think that they could improve the situation by putting themselves in the same predicament.

Furthermore, one would think that *engineering* students (3rd year) would be bright enough to *engineer* a solution to the problem, instead of diving in and making it worse (pun intended).

Book smarts =/= common sense.
It was a tough situation with a friend of theirs about to die in front of their eyes. They didn't get to have the luxury of reading a story about it later on.

If they stood and watched, the reaction would be "Yeah, they couldn't swim, but they could have at least tried! They just let her die what is wrong with them??"

I haven't seen any kind of diagram of where this happened. I can't really fill in all the blanks or second-guess these dead people without more information.

Wow that pun about people dying sure was funny. You got a Netflix special yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events