Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 11:34 PM

32,992 posts, read 36,519,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Why was it the neighbor's responsibility to safe guard the pool? It is not their responsibility to childproof their yard because their neighbor can not properly watch a child. We do not know how well the neighbors knew each other they could have not known that the grandma was watching the kids. Expecting others to change their yard or house because you can not be a responsible parent or guardian is unfair.
If you have a pool, you will have a fence and a gate with a lock. Try getting home owner's insurance without one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 11:46 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,883,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Very sad comment. Great Granny is likely babysitting for free and simply can not keep up with the little ones
I will assume you didn't read the entire post, great granny was 40-ish.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:11 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,917,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
If you have a pool, you will have a fence and a gate with a lock. Try getting home owner's insurance without one.
But the lawn guy, pool man, meter reader might leave it open

Old 09-21-2016, 02:29 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,492,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
But the lawn guy, pool man, meter reader might leave it open
Interestingly, all the pools around here must have a self-closing, self-latching gate.

I've always found that annoying, bc sometimes I need to carry things in and out and, for example, my backyard gate requires a pretty heavy object to hold it open, but it seems wise now.

Even when we installed the driveway gate (you know, one of those remote control moving fences that blocks off the entrance of your driveway), the installers told us that they had to have an automatic closing feature any place that had a pool. So you open it, drive your car through, but the gate was programmed to close after a certain amount of time. The law says one minute for all automatic gates.

We were able to have that feature turned off bc we have the regular perimeter gate still fencing off our yard beyond the driveway.

None of this makes a difference if the kids climbed over or through the bars.
The law here is very particular about how high the fence is, protrusions being disallowed (I suppose so they can't be climbed), how the spacing can be from side to side and bottom, etc. Even the height of the latch and whether they have to be on the inside of the fence or outside.

None of these things is as good as alert, diligent supervision.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:54 AM

1,289 posts, read 941,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I will assume you didn't read the entire post, great granny was 40-ish.
No. Please read again.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:42 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,569,324 times
If my kids had gone missing with a pool next door, that pool is the FIRST place I would have checked.

To be fair though, maybe the grandmother didn't know there was a pool next door?

As someone else said, the kids were missing an hour before calling 911? That hesitation might very well have cost those kids their lives. Someone may have been able to revive them if they had been found earlier. So sad.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:42 AM

8,446 posts, read 4,769,454 times
What a nightmare! My middle child is a wanderer and my youngest loves to follow him(or help him escape) so we've had to put extra locks on all the doors and we're thinking of doing the same for some windows even. Kids can be very sneaky. When they're being quieter than usual you gotta go check on them...that's when they get in the most trouble.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:16 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,828,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Another heart warming story (sarcasm)...

Why they would leave their kids with a great-grandma is beyond me. She was probably asleep.
god almighty where did that come from...

Old 09-21-2016, 06:18 AM

7,059 posts, read 9,109,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I have a pool. I have insurance. There is no fence around my pool.

#PoolsKillBanPools

Old 09-21-2016, 06:44 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,622,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
If I had a pool, there's no way I wouldn't have it completely enclosed by a fence with a locked gate.

For precisely this reason. It's a no-brainer.

And, no - I wouldn't say "Well, the parents should have been watching them so I don't need my pool secured."

Yes, it's true that those toddlers should have had supervision. But I wouldn't rely on that. I'd rather put up a fence and gate, than know a child died because I didn't.
There was a pool fence (iron fencing) AND a yard fence. The gate to the yard fence was left open, it seems, but NOT the pool fence. But they were able to squeeze thru the iron fence.

There are ordinances regarding pool fences. If the iron fence meets those requirements, it seems like the pool owner is not at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events