Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:42 PM

14,461 posts, read 14,419,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inoculation#China

From a 1741 Chinese practitioner:

"Method of storing the material. Wrap the scabs carefully in paper and put them into a small container bottle. Cork it tightly so that the activity is not dissipated. The container must not be exposed to sunlight or warmed beside a fire. It is best to carry it for some time on the person so that the scabs dry naturally and slowly. The container should be marked clearly with the date on which the contents were taken from the patient.
In winter, the material has yang potency within it, so it remains active even after being kept from thirty to forty days. But in summer the yang potency will be lost in approximately twenty days. The best material is that which had not been left too long, for when the yang potency is abundant it will give a 'take' with nine persons out of ten peopleā€”and finally it becomes completely inactive, and will not work at all. In situations where new scabs are rare and the requirement great, it is possible to mix new scabs with the more aged ones, but in this case more of the powder should be blown into the nostril when the inoculation is done."

The article also describes using material from people who have been inoculated, not those with full-blown smallpox. That suggests that passage through inoculated persons who survive may have resulted in an attenuated strain of the virus. That is how modern live virus vaccines are made: attenuation by passage through cell cultures. A similar procedure was used in Circassia: passage of the virus from inoculated person to inoculated person.

More smallpox trivia. Smallpox inoculation helped win the American Revolution:

https://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/GW&sm...oculation.html
The real achievement though began when Ed Jenner discovered that milkmaids who developed cowpox were immune to small pox. From this, he began innoculating people with cowpox. Am I correct that the cow pox was a form of small pox that didn't produce the horrific symptoms found in people with small pox? Is this an attenuated form of the small pox virus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 09:36 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,497,316 times
Default Thimerosal free vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
No, Katarina and I follow vaccination pretty closely. Thimersol, a mercury compound, had been present in the childhood vaccines until some people began insisting without evidence that it was causing problems. Thimersol was only in vaccines--in trace amounts--because it was useful as a preservative. A decision was made to remove it years ago.

This link states that thimersol was taken out of childhood vaccines fifteen years ago in 2001. It is now only present in the multi-dose flu vial. The flu vaccine is not a required vaccination for children or adults.

Thimerosal in Vaccines Thimerosal | Concerns | Vaccine Safety | CDC
I am an adult and have not had Thimerosal in my vaccines in decades. All you have to do is go to the CDC website each year, get a list of the flu vaccines available. Brands and names are listed, along with ingredients. Ensure that you get a single dose vial instead of multi-dose shot if you don't want Thimerosal.

There are a few other things you might look for, and they are in the ingredients and are also listed, with percentages, etc. It's just like reading labels at the grocery store.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:58 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,061,794 times
Quote:
The real achievement though began when Ed Jenner discovered that milkmaids who developed cowpox were immune to small pox. From this, he began innoculating people with cowpox. Am I correct that the cow pox was a form of small pox that didn't produce the horrific symptoms found in people with small pox? Is this an attenuated form of the small pox virus?
Cowpox is a separate disease that does give its sufferers immunity to smallpox as well.
Smallpox, Cowpox, And The History Of The Diseases | A Moment of Science - Indiana Public Media

Old 10-01-2016, 01:55 AM

37,260 posts, read 41,476,925 times
Quote:
What Katarina said.

Jenner was actually not the first one to note the preventive effect that cowpox had for smallpox. He just demonstrated that it could be done deliberately.

The interesting thing is that the modern smallpox vaccine does not use cowpox virus. It uses vaccinia, which probably was derived from cowpox.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:19 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,635,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Two hundred years ago, this guy would have been right in style. This kind of practitioner is described in one of my favorite books, "McTeague", by Frank Norris, from 1899. This was from the days before the dreaded government set and enforced licensing standards for medical and dental practice. The McTeague story was used for the 1924 film, "Greed". The re-constructed, 4-hour version is the best, if you can watch a silent film for that long.

On a side note, this book was one I was "forced" to read, for a year-long series of college classes, called "The American Novel". It divided them into three time periods. There wasn't a single assigned book (one a week) that I didn't enjoy and not a one that I would have ever picked up and read, if it hadn't been for that class. One vote for a liberal and wide-based education.
Any chance you still have that reading list? Id love to check those books out.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:40 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,701,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
He's a licensed medical doctor kind of loon.
Stupidity is not exactly lacking among educated people either. Even the brightest, best educated people can believe in idiotic things.

I'm sure this guy worked real hard to get his MD from the University of Guam but he clearly is too much of a moron to be allowed to practice medicine.

Last edited by Juram; 10-01-2016 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-01-2016, 03:31 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,818,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Stupidity is not exactly lacking among educated people either. Even the brightest, best educated people can believe in idiotic things.

I'm sure this guy worked real hard to get his MD from the University of Guam but he clearly is too much of a moron to be allowed to practice medicine.
I agree that even the brightest, best educated people can believe in idiotic things. That is something we can agree on.

I don't know where you came up with the idea that he got his degree from the University of Guam. He earned his medical degree in Taiwan in 1971, https://www.healthgrades.com/physici...g-te-lin-2cmvl

Last edited by MissTerri; 10-01-2016 at 03:45 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 05:22 PM

78,797 posts, read 61,009,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I am an adult and have not had Thimerosal in my vaccines in decades. All you have to do is go to the CDC website each year, get a list of the flu vaccines available. Brands and names are listed, along with ingredients. Ensure that you get a single dose vial instead of multi-dose shot if you don't want Thimerosal.

There are a few other things you might look for, and they are in the ingredients and are also listed, with percentages, etc. It's just like reading labels at the grocery store.
Great post. Unfortunately the rebuttal is usually, But...but....but...they're ALL in on it.

Hate to say it but the anti-vaxx movement, which has already lost some steam isn't going to fail and fail hard until they have a big fat outbreak of polio or smallpox.

*shrug* It's not what I want but it's what is going to happen.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
How does he get the cat saliva? Last I checked, mine refuse to spit in a cup.
With a cotton tipped swab.

Must be interesting getting the cat to cooperate, like when you try to give one medication.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I agree that even the brightest, best educated people can believe in idiotic things. That is something we can agree on.

I don't know where you came up with the idea that he got his degree from the University of Guam. He earned his medical degree in Taiwan in 1971, https://www.healthgrades.com/physici...g-te-lin-2cmvl
It was a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events