Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:06 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

If by suing Jet Blue the mother can call attention to the fact that JB loses children on international flights (they both originated in the Dominican Republic), then I don't think that's idiotic at all. It's a public service.

Both boys had on wristbands with their names, yet somehow their passports were swapped. The airline is not supposed to release children to just anyone at the destination but to ask for ID, which they did not do.

Jet Blue charges an additional $100 for this service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 09:11 AM

102 posts, read 111,807 times
I think a small claims lawsuit would be appropriate, but it's not as if the kids were ever out of the supervision of the airline, they just thought one child was the other, that's it. The people at the other end were both waiting for their respective children, it's not like a pedophile was waiting at the end of the line either. A large sum, frivolous lawsuit risks to make the unaccompanied minor service a thing of the past. It's like a plane crash, they're very rare, but when they do happen everyone freaks out.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:16 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
I wonder if the kids switched Document lanyards when they were on the plane?
or Did the FA take them when they got on, and switched them when they got off?
Do the kids "Look" somewhat alike? if you looked at there passport photos?
Did they have One Child Attendent at JFK who took them thru customs, and then switched the Doc Lanyards?

JetBlue (and other Airlines) can learn from this and take the appropriate action to (try) prevent this from happening again.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:28 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
They were on different planes.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
They were on different planes.
"Both Andy and the other, unnamed boy were flying from Cibao international airport in the Dominican Republic."

The Mix up had to happen when they got to JFK, One was Local Passenger who stayed @ JFK, the other boy was sent on a JetBlue Connecting Flight to BOS.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:37 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
lol am I the only one who laughed out loud at this title
No you're not.

There is just so much failure to go around here. Once again, the parent leaves parenting to someone else and is surprised they failed. It's like that with the school system too.

At the same time, if the airline is going to offer this service, they need to deliver on it.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:45 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Id sue! 3 hours without knowing where your 5 year old is...if they are ok or alive or lost or alone! Sue the pants off of them!

3 hours!

Airlines need to be held accountable. I have flown 5/6/7 year olds out to me alone and it is part of the airline's job to keep them safe and not freaking LOSE THEM! They offer this service to sell the tickets...they need to follow through.

And it isn't asking the airline to parent. This is a service they offer. That is like saying you hired a babysitter to parent. No, you hire a baby sitter to fill in for a short time while you are not able to.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:03 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Id sue! 3 hours without knowing where your 5 year old is...if they are ok or alive or lost or alone! Sue the pants off of them!

3 hours!
Sue, sue sue!

And we wonder why America is going down the drain.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:15 AM

While this will probably be settled out of court,

Where the "Fault" in the JetBlue unaccompanied minor process need to be figured out and fixed.

I'm sure JetBlue has investigated this and has fixed it on there end so it does not happen again. But going to court would expose it, and allow other airlines to learn from JetBlue mistakes.

Having two UM's on one international flight, taking them thru customs/immigration, is probably where the paperwork got switched, One JetBlue Child Attendant probably took both thru together, when the passports/documents were returned they got switched. A child of five does not know something is wrong. They just go where they are told.

Sometimes the most low tech ways are the best, Different color wrist bands for each child with the same color band attached to there lanyard, a barcode on them that everyone can scan (Yes like a UPS package), every time there move or there doc's are touched, to re-verify.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:39 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
or Did the FA take them when they got on, and switched them when they got off?
Do the kids "Look" somewhat alike? if you looked at there passport photos?
Did they have One Child Attendent at JFK who took them thru customs, and then switched the Doc Lanyards?

JetBlue (and other Airlines) can learn from this and take the appropriate action to (try) prevent this from happening again.
Or they can just stop offering the service. That's what I would do; huge risk, little return. Now the parents can pay for an additional round trip ticket each way, along with most likely paying for a person to travel with the child if they can't find time to be the one to accompany them. Way more than $100, but problem 100% solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events