Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:08 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

A mother who breastfeeds her five-year-old son as well as other people's babies has today insisted that she is 'doing nothing wrong'.

Amanda Hurst says she still feeds Jonathan and is convinced she is doing 'the right thing', despite facing criticism.

'I'm doing nothing wrong': Mother defends decision to breastfeed five-year-old son and other people's babies | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 01:24 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,624,441 times
wait... does a human breast continue to pump out milk that many yrs later after a woman gives birth?? I thought once estrogen levels come back to pre-pregnancy levels that lactation stops? This seems soooo weird!

Old 05-01-2010, 01:34 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times
You produce milk as long as the baby/child still nurses. There is nothing wrong with nursing your own five year old, if you both so choose. The AAP and the WHO recommend nursing for a minimum of 2 years, then afterward as long as mutually agreeable to mother and child. Since you can't force a child to nurse, it's obviously agreeable to both parties in this instance. I nursed my daughter for 3 1/2 years, after which point we naturally weaned... I was feeling pretty "done" at that point, but if I weren't, and DD still wanted to, I could have continued nursing. I know several people who nurse their 4 and 5 year olds.

Nursing other people's children, though? I guess as long as it's acceptable to the mothers it's okay, but why would anyone want to? I could see doing it in an emergency (you're watching someone else's baby and something happens to the mom and the baby is screaming and hungry), but as a regular part of babysitting other people's kids? Ick!

Old 05-01-2010, 01:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
wait... does a human breast continue to pump out milk that many yrs later after a woman gives birth?? I thought once estrogen levels come back to pre-pregnancy levels that lactation stops? This seems soooo weird!
The beast stops producing milk after the consumption decreases. If you keep using the breast, it will usually continue to produce milk.

As for the story, I've always had a problem with women who breast feed older children.

But I'm mostly blown away by this women breast feeding other people's children.

I wish the story would have provided more details on THAT part.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:44 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The beast stops producing milk after the consumption decreases. If you keep using the breast, it will usually continue to produce milk.

As for the story, I've always had a problem with women who breast feed older children.

But I'm mostly blown away by this women breast feeding other people's children.

I wish the story would have provided more details on THAT part.

Why would you care, provided you're not the lactating woman or the older child in question? That would be like me saying "I've always had a problem with women who choose not to breastfeed." It's none of my business, just like it's none of yours!

Old 05-01-2010, 01:45 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
I don't think there is anything wrong with breastfeeding a 5 year old. I do think it's weird that the mother breastfeeds other people's children.

Last edited by Dorthy; 05-01-2010 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: missing word

Old 05-01-2010, 02:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
Why would you care, provided you're not the lactating woman or the older child in question? That would be like me saying "I've always had a problem with women who choose not to breastfeed." It's none of my business, just like it's none of yours!
It was my business because my neighbor exposed me to it against my will. She constantly did it in front of me. We would be having a conversation and her daughter would come running over wanting her breast. She never took into consideration how uncomfortable it made me. I've never been uncomfortable with women breast feeding babies and younger children, but it does make me super uncomfortable when someone breast feeds older children while I'm with them. IMO, her doing that made it my business to form an opinion about how it makes ME FEEL when someone does it in my presence.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:27 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,619 times
All I can say is ICK on both points. You can bond in lots of other ways and be as close. That is very disturbing that she does that.

If she didn't think she was doing anything wrong, she wouldn't feel a need to defend her actions.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:32 PM

526 posts, read 1,003,554 times
Seriously - I can't imagine a 5 year old taking a break from his homework/Nintendo DS/Soccer Game -to breastfeed. He is definitely going to have issues when he starts dating.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:33 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,088,628 times
i think one needs to look at the whole mother child relationship here----is he going to come home from school looking for breast and cookies??----how is she and the child benefitting psychologically from this?---when will she quit---college,his marriage,--imho----he DOES NOT need the nutrients---so do we have some emotional issues here???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting