Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:09 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Just because some of you had your parents drop you off at a terminal when you were 5-6 years old doesn't mean you do that today. Times have changed and this is not the 1970's.
Stranger abduction is incredibly rare and today is much safer than the 70s.

Your kid is far less likely to be abducted or abused flying across the country than going to school each day.

In fact your child is far more likely to encounter serious harm being driven to and fro by yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 11:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Flying today is exactly like flying 15 years ago, which was October 2001. Maybe you are thinking of 50 years ago when only rich people could fly and airlines were guaranteed a profit so they had to compete on service, which was excellent.
Where did you dig this bit of history up from?

Half a century ago was 1966, and this lower end of working class urban peasant had no problem affording a domestic flight, nor did the other peasants I flew with. And you could even get deals on packages to Europe that made them affordable...otherwise I would never have been able to afford going to Europe in 1967.

And, yes, service was excellent. But then the passengers were much better behaved than Americans are now.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:15 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Martinez claims she suffered “emotional distress, extreme fear, horror, mental shock, mental anguish and psychological trauma,” according to a copy of the lawsuit obtained by The News....
Poor wretch. Sounds as if she should be institutionalized until she is mentally balanced. Then, if she is adjudged sane in a court hearing, she can sue.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:54 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Stranger abduction is incredibly rare and today is much safer than the 70s.

Your kid is far less likely to be abducted or abused flying across the country than going to school each day.

In fact your child is far more likely to encounter serious harm being driven to and fro by yourself.
So you're telling me that you would have no problem putting your 5-6 year old child on a cross country flight alone, to be watched over by some stranger he/she has never met before? If you can comfortably do that then go right ahead. I certainly would not. Maybe a HS teenager but certainly not any younger.

The stats might lead to it being safer but I'm not taking any such chances with my kid. Especially with all the bombings and terrorist crap that has been happening at the airports lately.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:22 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
...If I were the airlines, I counter sue the parents for being negligent.
Think about what just wrote.

The airlines should sue the parents for something the airlines does and charges a fee for.

Honestly, you need to think before you post.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:26 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Who in their right mind puts a 5 year old on an international flight??? That just doesn't make any sense in this day and age. Flying today is NOTHING like flying 15 years ago! No way I would EVER put a child on plane by themselves. That is asking for a disaster.
Eh, "International" is only technical in this case. The DR us a hop, skip and jump from the US--closer to me in the NY metro area than much of the continental U.S. People fly there for a long weekend. Besides, half its population lives here anyway.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:32 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
So you're telling me that you would have no problem putting your 5-6 year old child on a cross country flight alone, to be watched over by some stranger he/she has never met before? If you can comfortably do that then go right ahead. I certainly would not. Maybe a HS teenager but certainly not any younger.

The stats might lead to it being safer but I'm not taking any such chances with my kid. Especially with all the bombings and terrorist crap that has been happening at the airports lately.
My dd flew alone when she was 12. She was fine. Not sure how comfortable I would have felt at 5 or 6.

If airport terrorism is going to happen, it's going to happen to you AND your kid. You don't just slow down in front of the terminal, push your unaccompanied minor and her suitcase out the car door and speed away. The child has to be accompanied by an adult until the minute he or she is handed over to the airline to board the plane.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:34 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I think it would have been terrifying for both sets of parents. However, I don't think this is lawsuit material. The airlines owes a sincere apology, a determination to fix whatever caused the error and maybe half a dozen free flights in the future for the injured family. That should resolve the issue.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:54 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,200 times
Maybe people should not expect the airlines to be a babysitter and not stick a kid on a plane by himself.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Where do we get this nonsense. Small kids have been traveling long distances since the stage coach days. It is nothing new. And of course they can get harmed or killed but so can kids at home.

It is one of life's minor risks. And it can often offer great benefits. Like living with both parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events