Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 08:47 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,806,424 times

Advertisements

So being a utility makes the business different? I'll put in a sprinkler system and blame the water utility because they can't provide enough pressure. God forbid I buy another meter and access to run said sprinkler system. Do let me blame Comcast for buying another product that's dependent on a "utility". Comcast does offer other products that would fit the needs of no cap. Just like the water utility offers other products to run a sprinkler system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 08:50 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,604,957 times
It's all about the money and protecting their existing antiquated business model (cable TV). They want to get their fat checks, whether it's from cable subscribers or cord cutters. A lot of people saw this coming a LONG time ago. And it's not just the data caps...I believe Comcast and/or similar ISPs have also jacked up the price of their internet-only options.

I think Comcast is fighting a losing battle here, even with their near-monopolies in some markets and even with folks in local, state and federal government kissing their rears. Cable is dying, and big bad Comcast cannot stop that from happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
I was informed by a Comcast Cable installer (actually two different ones because I had to install Comcast Business to avoid caps) that Comcast has plenty of bandwidth. They told me Comcast is just protecting it's TV service. They know if people start using the internet to watch media that it will cut into their TV services, which they are trying to expand. I think I'll go with what people who actually work there have confirmed, rather than blind optimism...

Also, I bet the markets that Comcast is doing it's "trial" in are either monopolized or very close to by them. They would never do this in a competitive market - look how they had to adjust their Florida and Georgia plan because of the threat of Google fiber. I hope Google goes crazy and installs fiber from coast to coast - it's time the likes of Comcast get out of the ISP business, even if they need to be run out.
Welp, there it is, folks...

Old 10-12-2016, 08:50 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,358,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
So being a utility makes the business different? I'll put in a sprinkler system and blame the water utility because they can't provide enough pressure. God forbid I buy another meter and access to run said sprinkler system. Do let me blame Comcast for buying another product that's dependent on a "utility". Comcast does offer other products that would fit the needs of no cap. Just like the water utility offers other products to run a sprinkler system.
Per regulations, utilities are absolutely different. It's been a little more than 6 years since I've been a cable installer / cable technician. I promise you, they aren't lacking bandwidth. America is actually pretty far behind on cable speeds, Comcast is just being greedy.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:41 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,159,792 times
Time Warner/Spectrum in Maine has no data cap.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:11 AM

5,488 posts, read 4,503,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Per regulations, utilities are absolutely different. It's been a little more than 6 years since I've been a cable installer / cable technician. I promise you, they aren't lacking bandwidth. America is actually pretty far behind on cable speeds, Comcast is just being greedy.
Back 5 years ago, somebody mentioned how our internet back then was what S. Korea already had 5 to 10 years ago, and what Japan had 10 to 15 years ago.

Comcast is pretty much abusing the best of both worlds... They function like a utility, but have none of the regulations nor competition reigning then in.

If this happened in any other industry, innovation and progress would've been stifled and set back too.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:36 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,100,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Time Warner/Spectrum in Maine has no data cap.
We switched to Charter Spectrum internet when we moved a year ago. We previously had ATT uverse, but when we called to switch our address we were informed that there would now be a date cap on our account. I don't remember what their data cap was, but it was much lower than 1 TB. We already have to monitor our phone data usage, we weren't interested in having to do that with our home internet as well.

Of course each company has their own way of screwing over their customers. Charter considered our internet and Wi-Fi as two separate services, so we were charged 2 activation fees at $60 each. They also don't allow self installation so it was another $60 for a tech to come to our home and plug a box into the wall.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:46 PM

4,808 posts, read 3,531,933 times
Its all about control. I set my netflix up blue ray quality, but not to start next program automatically. We came very close to the 300gb limit when my daughter was watching a tv series and we left for the weekend a few times during the summer. Thise tv series racked up the gb data.
1TB wont be much in the near future with 4k and all.
They, Comcast/NBC/XFINITH, know tv is fading away and streaming is the future. They are setting up red lines in the sand.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:58 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,591,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Nothing more than another money grab. It has nothing to do with any of the bs excuses like customer convenience. I love when companies raise prices and lower the value and tell consumers it's for their convenience. Yeah sure it is.
Stockholders want revenue growth. That's what it is all about. More money for less stuff. If you don't have a new product people want to buy that's the only way to do it.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:09 PM

4,808 posts, read 3,531,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Stockholders want revenue growth. That's what it is all about. More money for less stuff. If you don't have a new product people want to buy that's the only way to do it.
Then offer more for less. Simple. Feeding internet data isnt a very difficult process.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:39 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,821,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Its all about control. I set my netflix up blue ray quality, but not to start next program automatically. We came very close to the 300gb limit when my daughter was watching a tv series and we left for the weekend a few times during the summer. Thise tv series racked up the gb data.
1TB wont be much in the near future with 4k and all.
They, Comcast/NBC/XFINITH, know tv is fading away and streaming is the future. They are setting up red lines in the sand.
Yup it is all about control.. and that's why they need regulated just like the healthcare and energy industry. The problem is politicians don't want to tackle real problems like this because they're too busy taking money from companies like Comcast.

If they are the only high speed internet provider in an area that actually makes them much worse than the shady energy companies... since in the energy industry there is competition between companies even in small markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events