Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 12:20 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
just curious; If this restriction was put on you that way, that for two months you could go .... (just an example, oh... ) 3TB if you had enough to do; Would YOU (or to anyone else who gets that close or exceeds 1TB,) be able to put off any of your activity so that you could save or DL it prior to or postpone it so that you could just completely exceed the 1TB cap if you were to do it twice a year in order to make sure you had room the other 5 & 1/2 months between? Or is your activity something that you more or less need to keep up-to-date on?
I would most likely find ways to work within my restrictions while simultaneously hoping for an alternative. Maybe a "T-Mobile" to swoop in and save the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 07:51 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
I was informed by a Comcast Cable installer (actually two different ones because I had to install Comcast Business to avoid caps) that Comcast has plenty of bandwidth. They told me Comcast is just protecting it's TV service. They know if people start using the internet to watch media that it will cut into their TV services, which they are trying to expand.
Comcast is so out of touch, clinging to a business model that will die with the last of the baby boomers. You ever notice how megacorps have no clue about real life trends? Sometimes they luck out and happen to buy out a hot startup business but they never create anything new and innovative from within.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:43 PM

312 posts, read 277,418 times
Watch for that 1TB cap to be cut in half then maybe more, and the overage charges to start in ernest.

This bunch rolled into town as "Spectrum" and with no notice changed my (years longstanding) due date by moving it up 10 days. Zero notice. But there was a big fat note on the bill that any lateness will bring a late fee. So I had like a week to get it in the mail. If 10 percent of the subs in L.A. miss their bill date (autopay, don't check the date) due to this, then Spectrum pockets about $1 million. Meet the new boss; same as the old boss.

Time Warner and Comcast. The Dream Team. I have a nickname for Spectrum, want to guess what it is?

Old 10-10-2016, 09:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
I thought Net Neutrality ended this but I guess not.

The worst part with telecommunications is just like say health insurance, electricity and water, they are subject to be local monopolies. I recently ran into issues with Cox on internet over the last few months. Internet slowed down, not because of bites used but rather because of WiFi interference. However anytime we called, Cox would revert to "You're signal is good and if you need a call but nothing is wrong it is $85 for the inconvience." However something was wrong as NO DEVICES whether my phone, tablet, Xbox or laptop would have consistant WiFi. Had Cox not sent us from the common customer service to next level the last time and just repeated the canned line, I would be SOL due to the local monopoly since no other telecommunications companies work in my area.

I get that local monopolies often are natural monopolies but sometimes these ones deserve to get broken up or have forced competition.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I would most likely find ways to work within my restrictions while simultaneously hoping for an alternative. Maybe a "T-Mobile" to swoop in and save the day.
Except in non-cellular telecommunications, local monopolies are rather natural as much as from a service and pricing aspect, the consumer gets screwed over on it. As much as I want the T-Mobiles of the internet to happen, I doubt they will.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:19 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Except in non-cellular telecommunications, local monopolies are rather natural as much as from a service and pricing aspect, the consumer gets screwed over on it. As much as I want the T-Mobiles of the internet to happen, I doubt they will.
Oh I'm fully aware of the monopolies. Truth be told, there is TECHNICALLY options elsewhere here like AT&T or a satellite service, but these companies can't even come close to competing with Comcast.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:28 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's total BS! Made up BS so they can make more money!

If the cable companies can't screw us - the internet service will.
They are, last I checked, a business.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Here's a solution so that zero residential customers would be affected: prevent data caps.

You don't get to decide what is normal.

You don't get to decide what should and shouldn't happen in a month.

No they should not.

Comcast needs to invest to provide the throughput capacity required for all next generation services.

Comcast should invest to keep the infrastructure state-of-the-art.
That's the problem right there. It costs infrastructure to keep up the throughput required if everyone is streaming. The infrastructure 10 years ago didn't require it. That means money out of Comcast pockets.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
They're likely doing this because people are starting to (wisely) abandon cable, so they need to figure out some way to make their stockholders fat and rich.

And this is a way they can do it and get away with it, since they are a virtual monopoly in the market.
Sounds like I need to invest my money then.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
A better solution would be to throttle the speed of heavy users. For instance if you use more than 200 GB per month, then your speed is throttled down to 5 Mbit so you won't cause a big impact on the network.

What I feel is that they are planning to go for a capped model. 1TB is just their starting point, but over time they will drop it to much lower levels in areas they have monopoly.
This is exactly the issue. Throttle or cap. Pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events