Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 08:34 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,488 times

Advertisements

Boy killed in school shooting has superhero-themed funeral

Video that will touch you deeply

I really feel for the parents, family and friends. We have to wonder how kids could get to be so screwed up. Where did society and, more importantly, their parents fail them?

Last edited by bobandsherry; 10-08-2016 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 09:21 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Very sad

Old 10-08-2016, 10:54 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Such a sad situation and maybe could have been avoided.

In my opinion, a sane child/adult doesn't shoot a parent and then go shoot a bunch of people at a school or work or theater.

Mental illness strikes all ages, including children. We can look at the parents but we really need to look at the mental health care system that seems to fail many families. I think many people go undiagnosed because family/friends think they are just "going through a rough time" or have "anger issues".

Red flags are there, but are often overlooked.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:02 PM

5,173 posts, read 4,945,353 times
I'm sure I'll catch grief from the atheists and secular crowd for even thinking this, but could there be some correlation between our removal of religion from all aspects of our lives and the lack of respect for others lives? Just food for thought.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:30 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
Mental Illness
Breakdown of the family
Increase in drug use among younger children
Lack of respect for themselves and others
No home training
No spiritual guidance
Parents not letting their children take responsibility for their actions

I think all of the above plays a part in the increase of violence among children.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:27 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,287 times
im not for censorship, however im sure being desensitized by all the violence in every aspect of our culture has to be a contributing factor...

however I grew up in a different time, I watched all the 80s slasher films when I was 11-16 and I never considered killing anyone

Old 10-10-2016, 08:38 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Such a sad situation and maybe could have been avoided.

In my opinion, a sane child/adult doesn't shoot a parent and then go shoot a bunch of people at a school or work or theater.

Mental illness strikes all ages, including children. We can look at the parents but we really need to look at the mental health care system that seems to fail many families. I think many people go undiagnosed because family/friends think they are just "going through a rough time" or have "anger issues".

Red flags are there, but are often overlooked.
The question is, and it applies regardless of age, how do you positively identify those who may have a mental illness, that may be capable of doing harm to someone else, and may require intervention... and do all of that before they actually commit a crime. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your point of view, we don't have a system that forces people (children included) to undergo mental health care or into institutions until after they have committed a crime. You can talk about mental health care and prevention all you want, but I have yet to hear just how we go about doing that for these individuals without suspending most of their constitutional rights in the process. It's a normal reaction to want to prevent things like this from happening again, I'm just not sure we will ever know how to do that, or even if it's possible at all.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:01 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I'm sure I'll catch grief from the atheists and secular crowd for even thinking this, but could there be some correlation between our removal of religion from all aspects of our lives and the lack of respect for others lives? Just food for thought.
Apparently the opposite is true.

Quote:
Think religion makes society less violent? Think again. The theory is simple: If people become less religious, then society will decay. Crime will skyrocket, violence will rise, and once-civilized life will degenerate into immorality and depravity. It's an old, widespread notion. And it's demonstrably false.
If it were true that when belief in God weakens, societal well-being diminishes, then we should see abundant evidence for this. But we don't. In fact, we find just the opposite: Those societies today that are the most religious — where faith in God is strong and religious participation is high — tend to have the highest violent crime rates, while those societies in which faith and church attendance are the weakest — the most secular societies — tend to have the lowest. Think religion makes society less violent? Think again. - LA Times

Old 10-10-2016, 12:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Not to say that a religious society, even one of my own, is a bad one, but there is certainly not a correlation between high religiosity and a peacable, respectful society. Historically, the value of human life and respect in society has been rather variable in highly religious societies.

The obvious contemporary example are the societies of fundamentalist Islamists who live very religious lives and the level of respect for their fellows, whether infidel or Muslim, is abominable. Beheadings, stonings, honor crimes, and so forth are a disturbing side of their religious societies.

But is is not only Muslims. Even religions with a much more 'humane' doctrine can be violent and unjust. As recently as my grandparent's generation, good Christian Americans were lynching and burning Black people without any sort of trial or decent evidence for any crime. They were just scapegoated by good Christian folk. A century or two earlier, local disputes often took the form of accusing people of witchcraft for which they were tortured, drowned, hanged, and burned. We can go on and on with the way Catholic and Protestants warred for souls, and pretty much the whole Middle Ages.

Meanwhile, there are secular societies with high levels of atheism that have far fewer interpersonal crime and strife, low murder rates, low property crime, etc.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:05 PM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Morality is not dependent on religion. Some of the most moral people I know are atheists. Donnie says he is the evangelical's choice...and yet what did we hear from him lately?

You have every right to practice YOUR religion to your heart's content. Let others do the same. That shows humility and respect for others...a very Christian trait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events