Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 02:43 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
And when I look at some of the stupid things I did I assure you diving into a body of water is way down the list. I still can't believe some of the the posts here. Sure we SHOULD check out every body of water before diving in. Yeah well I SHOULD have gone to dental school too I guess.

Let's be realistic here, as I said what this guys did happens a million times a summer without incident. It is tragic a handful of times and suddenly we see comments on how stupid this guy was as if he just jumped off a cliff without a parachute.
No, I'm just trying to figure out how he did this in the first place. It's not possible to "dive" into the water from the sand. Millions of people dive at the beach? How? Aside from being on the sand, the only way for your legs to have enough power for a jump like that would be if you were standing in VERY shallow water, either on the shore or ON the sandbar itself. Either way, he would know the depth of the water without having to analyze anything. One poster said: he hit a hidden sandbar. In other words assuming that he was in deep enough water (chest-high maybe) and the sandbar was directly in front of him. You can't jump that high in chest-deep water, and a sandbar wouldn't normally be in any shallower water than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 02:48 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
So sad. I wonder how many people criticizing his judgement ran a "late yellow" light in the past 24 hours.
You do realize people can be compassionate and still point out the folly of a persons actions, right?

Many of us have habits that are not healthy, but some of us are more cautious than others. That can come from upbringing, work related experience, or even our own stupidity we survived by the grace of God.
As others have echoed, I did some stupid things that could have injured/killed me.
Fortunately diving into water(especially head first) and not knowing the depth or what lies beneath the surface, will never be one of them.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:03 PM

230 posts, read 173,351 times
why do I get the idea alcohol was involved....

Old 12-14-2016, 03:13 PM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
No, I'm just trying to figure out how he did this in the first place. It's not possible to "dive" into the water from the sand. Millions of people dive at the beach? How? Aside from being on the sand, the only way for your legs to have enough power for a jump like that would be if you were standing in VERY shallow water, either on the shore or ON the sandbar itself. Either way, he would know the depth of the water without having to analyze anything. One poster said: he hit a hidden sandbar. In other words assuming that he was in deep enough water (chest-high maybe) and the sandbar was directly in front of him. You can't jump that high in chest-deep water, and a sandbar wouldn't normally be in any shallower water than that.
It's as if you've never been to the beach. I dive into the water from the beach all the time. Keep in mind a dive does not mean straight down like you are diving off a diving board. It means running into the water, then when you are maybe thigh deep you dive in at an angle that is slightly sharper than perpendicular.

I was the one who suggested he hit a hidden sand bar as the article referenced a sand bar. When you dive out into the ocean or bay the assumption is the water gets deeper as you go out right? So if you dive in at thigh deep you would assume your head would hit water that was deeper than that. Since there was such an impact, and again since the article referenced a sand bar, the assumption I made is he dove into water that wasn't 3-4 feet deep as expected, it was much shallower due to the hidden sand bar.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:26 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
It's as if you've never been to the beach. I dive into the water from the beach all the time. Keep in mind a dive does not mean straight down like you are diving off a diving board. It means running into the water, then when you are maybe thigh deep you dive in at an angle that is slightly sharper than perpendicular.

I was the one who suggested he hit a hidden sand bar as the article referenced a sand bar. When you dive out into the ocean or bay the assumption is the water gets deeper as you go out right? So if you dive in at thigh deep you would assume your head would hit water that was deeper than that. Since there was such an impact, and again since the article referenced a sand bar, the assumption I made is he dove into water that wasn't 3-4 feet deep as expected, it was much shallower due to the hidden sand bar.
I go all the time. And I go to the beaches in that area quite a bit. I know that one can "dive" horizontally into waves, or dive at a 45 degree angle when deep enough. Now, a sandbar doesn't typically just rise up suddenly like some type of wall -- at least, not where he was swimming. It's a gradual incline. I doubt that it was some sudden, hidden sandbar.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:36 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I think the VERY hardest, but kindest, most unselfish act that man could do out of love for his fiance is tell her to buzz off and call the wedding totally off. So very sad.
They were about to say until death do us part.

Not until til spinal injury and paraplegism (yes made up that word) does us part.

So she just got lucky that this happened prior to saying the vowels?

We live in a superficial little world. She should go on with the marriage and do what she was about to do when she accepted the engagement ring.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:53 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Beyond that, I think that most of us who are honest can look back on our lives and recall at least a few instances that make us shudder at our foolishness. We realize that we were simply lucky where others were not.

Well, I can only speak for myself - not for others, who maybe have led exemplary lives where they never did anything ill-advised that could have cost them dearly but for chance. Do such people exist? I mean, outside of the imaginations of those with overly large egos?
I would never dive in to water if I did not know the depth. That was drilled in to us as kids. However, that does not mean that I have not done some really, really stupid things in my youth that, if I take the time to think about them, make me wonder how on earth I am still here. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well exactly.

Presumably when you are wed (or going to be as in this case) you are prepared to spend the rest of your life with that person.
This includes every type of scenario, great or horrific.
If the vows were forever "unless things get too rough", a marriage wouldn't mean anything. In this day and age, people can choose to have sexual relations outside of marriage and not have the social stigma attached to it like it once was. Frankly, I think that is part of the problem we have with the degradation of our culture/society, but that is not the main point.

As an allegory, I will tell a quick story that is sad. One of my 2nd cousins married a decent guy and everything seemed great. Then the guy despite being fairly young came down with debilitating arthritis, I think similar to what Glenn Frey of the Eagles eventually died of.
Anyway, my cousin decides she doesn't want to live like that anymore, so she abandons him via a divorce. I don't know the whole story of course, but it looked really bad on my cousins part because the guy was good to her to the best of my knowledge.

Anyway, now my cousin who remarried has been diagnosed with a significant health issue, and from what I gather, her current husband might be looking for greener pastures.
Needless to say what goes around can come around, but many people are so self centered they lose sight of that.

The moral of the story is not to make a life long commitment, if you do not really mean life long, for better or worse, in sickness and in health.

`
I'm so glad that you wrote this, I was beginning to think no one understood that even though she has not yet made those vows, she planned to...

I wonder why people get married these days if they don't even understand the real point of it. It's not for an "outing buddy".

Old 12-15-2016, 06:20 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Just saw this on the news last night. It happened where I live. :=(

Old 12-15-2016, 06:46 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I would never dive in to water if I did not know the depth. That was drilled in to us as kids. However, that does not mean that I have not done some really, really stupid things in my youth that, if I take the time to think about them, make me wonder how on earth I am still here. Seriously.
And there's the rub. The guy is 39, therefore he has had many doses of Youth-Be-Gone by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm so glad that you wrote this, I was beginning to think no one understood that even though she has not yet made those vows, she planned to...

I wonder why people get married these days if they don't even understand the real point of it. It's not for an "outing buddy".
Say many posters in a country with a 50% divorce rate. Many of our first suggestions to others in a troubled marriage is "Just get a divorce." Spouse cheats? Drug/alcohol problem? Severe financial hardship? Distant, cold spouse? "Just get a divorce." Where's the loyalty there? And that's after the vows are said and done.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:51 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
There was a local star QB here in Maryland who had signed to play for Michigan years ago. A similar thing happened to him and he is also paralyzed. He got his law degree and now works for the FCC, he does the color commemtary for the Maryland football games which apparently was his real punishment. He is married with 2 daughters, pretty sure he did not have a DNR and is damned glad he didn't.

https://spinalpedia.com/blog/2012/06...-tim-strachan/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events