Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 07:46 PM

17,593 posts, read 15,266,523 times

Advertisements

It isn't a CPR dummy.. It's a dummy used in training for medical supplies.

Trains people how to assist someone getting in and out of bed, a wheelchair, how to hook up an oxygen mask, etc.

That's why it's so correct.. Though.. You would think they'd paint the ears orange or something..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 02:42 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueQueuedQuarks View Post

What are you talking about?
So because you use the internet I can assume that you do email scams "because no one in the history of humanity has ever used the internet for such purposes"?
It doesn't work like that.

Maybe not CPR dolls but
This medical dummy looks like a real person
Were you born yesterday? It may not necessarily be a sex doll, but there are people with psychological issues who do treat mannequins as people, whether pretending they are lovers, friends, someone that needs taken care of, etc. If he was transporting the dummy to medical students, why buckle it in the front seat like that? I can't believe you're just learning about these types of fetishes.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:15 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Quote:
I'd hope they police would pay for their damage. it was, no matter how justified, their mistake.
Exactly, and to anyone who would wonder "why would he have a mannequin in his seat like that?"-maybe because IT'S HIS CAR, he can do what he chooses with it (except for obvious things like DWI etc)? For me that's reason enough.

I had a SIMILAR thing happen some years ago, I had a baby doll in the back of my station wagon (laugh all you want, I like station wagons, don't care about looks, I care about utility) and this was because my daughter was the age to play with them and it was still there from the last time (and for the next time). Someone saw it and thought it was a "baby left in car" situation, no one smashed the window my attention was called to it and all was well with no damage. However, a co-worker said something like "I sure hope you won't be doing that again" my reply was "why not, it's my car and my baby doll, if I want to do it it's my right to do so AND to be left alone ANYWAY" (especially now that they've been in there before).

I mean, why should I have to go through the bother of hiding the baby doll? That's extra work, and I don't like doing work that I don't HAVE to do. Such makes me glad that my rear area (I know this instance occurred in the FRONT area) has darkly tinted windows, people don't need to be all poking around with regards to what's in MY car.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:07 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
A CPR mannequin does not have legs and shoes. This mannequin was more likely used to cheat in carpool lanes.
Why would it need legs and shoes to cheat in the carpool lane?

I don't think the police are responsible. They acted in good faith. The owner obviously set this mannequin up, for whatever reason, with the intent to make it look real and fool people. He succeeded.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:29 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,802,137 times
Default An invitation to mischief

Quote:
I'd hope they police would pay for their damage. it was, no matter how justified, their mistake.
Nope - common prudence. If you think there's a person in there, in subzero, unresponsive, you open the door. Granted, I would think that the police carry jimmies to get in without breaking glass, or could have called up OnStar or any similar service they detected in the car, & have them unlock the door.

But it was dark, cold, they had to sweep snow off the car? They probably kicked into overdrive & went for opening the door & rescuing the Jane Doe ASAP. Which was the right decision. No jury nor judge is going to rule for the owner/driver - it was simply an incredibly foolish thing to do - to leave a lifelike dummy, dressed, with hair, with an apparent oxygen mask strapped on, sitting in the passenger seat overnight.

If you're going to do that, you need to park in your garage, & maybe throw a tarp or something over the dummy, just in case it's visible to passers by. Heck, if some civilian had taken it upon himself to rescue the apparent woman, I still don't think the courts would fault him or her.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:35 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Exactly, and to anyone who would wonder "why would he have a mannequin in his seat like that?"-maybe because IT'S HIS CAR, he can do what he chooses with it (except for obvious things like DWI etc)? For me that's reason enough.

I had a SIMILAR thing happen some years ago, I had a baby doll in the back of my station wagon (laugh all you want, I like station wagons, don't care about looks, I care about utility) and this was because my daughter was the age to play with them and it was still there from the last time (and for the next time). Someone saw it and thought it was a "baby left in car" situation, no one smashed the window my attention was called to it and all was well with no damage. However, a co-worker said something like "I sure hope you won't be doing that again" my reply was "why not, it's my car and my baby doll, if I want to do it it's my right to do so AND to be left alone ANYWAY" (especially now that they've been in there before).

I mean, why should I have to go through the bother of hiding the baby doll? That's extra work, and I don't like doing work that I don't HAVE to do. Such makes me glad that my rear area (I know this instance occurred in the FRONT area) has darkly tinted windows, people don't need to be all poking around with regards to what's in MY car.
He can, but that doesn't mean the police are responsible for the damaged window. They acted in good faith, justifiably believing that the realistic looking mannequin was a real person. I mean, who puts oxygen masks on a life sized doll??? The police were worried that the owner of the car was attempting to avoid shelling out on dear old Mom's long term care expenses at the old folks' home, so he/she put her in the car in subfreezing temperatures, hoping she'll "die," then the owner can blame the error in judgment on absentmindedness.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:21 PM

838 posts, read 555,351 times
I really don't know what is more hilarious..... the news story itself or all these responses talking about legless and armless CPR dolls made in China and weird granny fetishes. Heck, I was laughing just imaging dude driving around with this thing seat belted into the front seat.

My first thought was him wanting to use HOV lanes or maybe taking advantage of those coveted handicap spots.

This mannequin looks real. And the minute you prop it up in the front seat with a mask over its face, it looks even more real. The person who broke out the window err'd on the side of caution and did the right thing. I don't believe law enforcement is responsible to pay. Their reasons for gaining entry were justified. Besides, I'm sure the car owner already has some ridiculous GoFundMe page set up.

It does make me wonder how many windows were broken out due to baby dolls lying in backseats of minivans.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:38 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAmVA View Post
I really don't know what is more hilarious..... the news story itself or all these responses talking about legless and armless CPR dolls made in China and weird granny fetishes. Heck, I was laughing just imaging dude driving around with this thing seat belted into the front seat.

My first thought was him wanting to use HOV lanes or maybe taking advantage of those coveted handicap spots.

This mannequin looks real. And the minute you prop it up in the front seat with a mask over its face, it looks even more real. The person who broke out the window err'd on the side of caution and did the right thing. I don't believe law enforcement is responsible to pay. Their reasons for gaining entry were justified. Besides, I'm sure the car owner already has some ridiculous GoFundMe page set up.

It does make me wonder how many windows were broken out due to baby dolls lying in backseats of minivans.
I was thinking the same thing. This is probably the funniest thread I've ever read on CD, and I've read some hilarious ones. I didn't even consider the GoFundMe angle Heck, the guy might have even used the doll as an excuse to go back to his car after running an unwanted errand (breaking up with a real girlfriend perhaps)?

DAVE, THE CAR OWNER: "Shannon, I can't go out with you anymore. It's not you, it's me. (Shannon begins to sob uncontrollably). I'm sorry I can't stay and discuss the situation. But Grandma is in the car and I have to get her to her doctor's appointment. Have a nice life!"

Old 12-19-2016, 01:42 PM

838 posts, read 555,351 times
I'm going to get this guy one of those yellow signs that he can suction cup to his rear or side window --

"Dummy On Board"

Can be multi-purpose.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:48 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
A CPR mannequin does not have legs and shoes. This mannequin was more likely used to cheat in carpool lanes.

How can you see (from outside the vehicle) the legs and shoes of anyone when they are belted into the passenger seat while you drive by at great speed? A half mannequin would serve the same purpose as a full one in that case I would imagine.

As an older woman who often drives long distances alone (and ends up in some pretty shady gas stations in the early hours of the morning as a result) I have often considered whether I should get some sort of 'man-nequin' to prop up in the passenger seat so that onlookers would think I was 'accompanied' by a big strong guy!

Even if I had one though I would not use it to use carpool lanes .. wouldn't even occur to me and frankly there rarely are any where I go anyway (since I avoid large cities and rush hour traffic like the plague).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events