Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:50 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,743,471 times

Advertisements

I always thought he was sort of a goofball from the movies he does but after watching this video I have a new found respect for this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOc-SjcR6Eo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 07:21 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,373,867 times
Ditto fluffy. . .

Old 02-15-2017, 07:27 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,979,220 times
Why was Ashton Kutcher testifying in that kind of a hearing? Did he have personal experience with human trafficking? Was his expertise in that arena far greater than most other people that the committee may not have heard of (because they are not celebrities)? Why is his opinion valued so much that he would be there at all?

Note: I can't watch the youtube because my bandwidth isn't sufficient right now. Was all the above explained in it? I can't comment on his 'performance' because I can't see it but he is an actor, after all .. so I would expect him to play the role of whatever it was that he was called upon to play reasonably authentically.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,957,634 times
Wow... he spoke very eloquently and passionately about this topic. I had no idea he was involved in building software to stop human trafficking and that he went on FBI raids. Very interesting.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:10 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,385,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Why was Ashton Kutcher testifying in that kind of a hearing? Did he have personal experience with human trafficking? Was his expertise in that arena far greater than most other people that the committee may not have heard of (because they are not celebrities)? Why is his opinion valued so much that he would be there at all?

Note: I can't watch the youtube because my bandwidth isn't sufficient right now. Was all the above explained in it? I can't comment on his 'performance' because I can't see it but he is an actor, after all .. so I would expect him to play the role of whatever it was that he was called upon to play reasonably authentically.
I am no big fan of Hollywood activists by a long shot, but when your bandwidth is adequate, watch the video. He explains his credibility on this issue. He directly addresses people who say "Stick to your day job." then describes what his day job really is (not acting as a fool in movies).

He is actually quite eloquent on this issue.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:01 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,562,116 times
Quote:

He and Demi Moore created a foundation to help stop human trafficking...I believe he has been quite involved in it for some time now...that's his "expertise".

Old 02-16-2017, 02:39 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,979,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
He and Demi Moore created a foundation to help stop human trafficking...I believe he has been quite involved in it for some time now...that's his "expertise".

Thank you. I admit to being somewhat skeptical of many of these celebrities who testify before Congress on various issues but I seriously could not watch that video so I appreciate your answering me. It is a serious issue and made worse because of the internet and modern technology so every little bit helps I am sure. It sounds as though he is sincere. I hope he is also effective but how hands on he is I don't know. I am glad he has the personal resources to do what he is doing though.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:16 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,511,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am no big fan of Hollywood activists by a long shot, but when your bandwidth is adequate, watch the video. He explains his credibility on this issue. He directly addresses people who say "Stick to your day job." then describes what his day job really is (not acting as a fool in movies).

He is actually quite eloquent on this issue.
Very eloquent. Very impressive and a subject I think most of us, even those of us who often disagree on these boards, will agree on.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:54 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,466,837 times
Quote:

Unlike many actors who hit it big in their 20s, Ashton Kutcher has made far more money off his his tech investments and work in the tech field than in any of his films. Not only is he also a venture capitalist, but he also spent a few years working for startups after his TV success. He's always struck me as someone with a good head on his shoulders, plans for the future, and a hard worker. He and his wife, Mila Kunis (herself a refugee from Ukraine), have spoken extensively about how they are passing these values onto their kids.

As others said, he started a foundation with ex Demi Moore focused on child trafficking. With his connections to the tech world, he's helped build software to try to track these monsters down. https://www.wearethorn.org/thorn-innovation-lab/

Old 02-16-2017, 06:56 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,333,159 times
Some celebrities have the time, money, and wherewithal to get to know a subject or cause as well as, if not better than, the people who's full-time occupation is to directly address the issue. While most celebrities use their fame to spotlight a cause, some others do become experts of it.

There's a general misconception of what constitutes an "expert". Most people have the conscious or sub-conscious perception that all "experts" are experts in the same way a scientist (chemical, engineering, medical, etc.) is an expert. Until relatively recently, one could not get a degree in Human Rights, or Poverty, or Women's Studies, and etc. but, yet, there were acknowledged experts in those fields.

An expert is simply someone with a level of knowledge and/or experience that surpasses the knowledge and/or experience of most others involved in that area of expertise or field of concern.

The manager of a domestic abuse shelter is not considered an expert. But a manager of a domestic abuse shelter, who writes and manages grants, creates an outreach program that involves law enforcement and the courts, has collaborative arrangements with State and Federal social service programs, coordinates fundraising presentations attended by politicians and foundations, successfully lobbies for State and Federal laws, now, *that* is an expert.

Most of us probably are or will be "experts" in something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events