Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 06:59 PM

29,536 posts, read 22,805,676 times

Advertisements

And so it starts early, the season of dying infants/kids left in cars....

Boy dies after being left in SUV outside Florida day care - ABC News

Quote:
Authorities say a 2-year-old boy died after his half-sister left him inside her sports utility vehicle while she worked in a day care center near Tampa.

Hillsborough County Sheriff's spokesman Larry McKinnon said in a news release that 21-year-old Fiorella Vanessa Silva-Tello left Jacob Manchego in her silver Chevy Equinox about 9:30 a.m. Tuesday when she went to work at the BFF Kidz day care center in Brandon. She found him unresponsive about 2:30 p.m.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 08:22 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,923,608 times
First thought...WTF? This person in charge of kids, at best, is leaving a 2 y/o in a car, strapped in for 5 hours? WTF???

Second...I do wonder if how they make cars now makes it more likely for kids to die in them. Now they are so sealed in from air...its awesome. But when I was a kid, wind would blow right through. Just a thought.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,517,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
First thought...WTF? This person in charge of kids, at best, is leaving a 2 y/o in a car, strapped in for 5 hours? WTF???

Second...I do wonder if how they make cars now makes it more likely for kids to die in them. Now they are so sealed in from air...its awesome. But when I was a kid, wind would blow right through. Just a thought.
I think it is. Before everything on a car was electronically controlled like the windows, parents would leave their kids in the car with the windows cracked. My parents did that with me but not when I was a toddler. I think I was around five or six. Today it seems they're leaving really little kids in their cars.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:19 PM

17,507 posts, read 15,634,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think it is. Before everything on a car was electronically controlled like the windows, parents would leave their kids in the car with the windows cracked. My parents did that with me but not when I was a toddler. I think I was around five or six. Today it seems they're leaving really little kids in their cars.
I agree.

That said, many of todays cars have keyless ignition. In other words, one can leave the car (and AC) running while locked and away from the vehicle. There have been added safety features over the years, this being one of them. It's just (for whatever reason) not across the board yet.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,431,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I agree.

That said, many of todays cars have keyless ignition. In other words, one can leave the car (and AC) running while locked and away from the vehicle. There have been added safety features over the years, this being one of them. It's just (for whatever reason) not across the board yet.
In the past it's been the manufacturers habit of offering/including new convenience or safety technology only on higher-end luxury type vehicles. If a system to prevent child hot-car deaths is ever developed, it will likely take years to be found on all vehicles, unless mandated by the government (which may take years anyway). Relatively speaking, airbags were put into every vehicle in a comparatively short time after they were invented, and is a rather rare exception.
But I think we sometimes expect too much from industry/government in saving us from ourselves.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:43 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,802,787 times
I heard they were developing alarms on car seats, where parents are alerted they have left their kids strapped in the car seat.

I believe this is something similar: https://www.babyalert.info/

Old 03-02-2017, 04:42 PM

1,864 posts, read 1,662,557 times
A couple of years ago I read an article addressing this sort of thing. It actually suggested that the driver "leave something important -like your cell phone" in the back seat so they would remember to look in the back and see Junior. There's a big difference between having a child and being a parent.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:44 PM

375 posts, read 298,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And so it starts early, the season of dying infants/kids left in cars....

Boy dies after being left in SUV outside Florida day care - ABC News
This sort of deal makes the news several times every Spring/summer. We've all heard these incidents many times in our lives.

So I cannot help but wonder as to what the reason would be for posting it?

Old 03-02-2017, 05:24 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,443,757 times
wow I was not expecting someone to die of being left in a hot car when its winter time.RIP

Old 03-02-2017, 06:11 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,857,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
This sort of deal makes the news several times every Spring/summer. We've all heard these incidents many times in our lives.

So I cannot help but wonder as to what the reason would be for posting it?
I think there's definitely an element of I'M BETTER THAN THAT! sanctimony in which people secretly revel in these stories. I consider them tragedies. I cannot count the number of times as a father that I suddenly thought "OMG, where's ____?" when at the park, or just watching the kids at home, when my attention wandered briefly. I shudder at the possibilities. And sometimes I wonder if the difference between myself and the parents in these cases is just dumb luck piled upon dumb luck for many of them. Inattention, yes. But who among us as parents have not been inattentive at times?

I cannot take satisfaction and feel superior to them.

I just pity the children. And I pity the parents, who will suffer for the rest of their - probably long - lives as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events