Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 12:16 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times

Advertisements

How did she die? Eating 5 or 6 pancakes isn't that big of a deal. The article said she had food allergies, but they didn't contribute to her death. So, what killed her?

She was a thin young woman, so over-eating was not something she engaged in regularly. She didn't choke. She suddenly keeled from seizures and then she died.

Stupid journalism once again. The article tells us nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 12:57 PM

983 posts, read 737,863 times
The 13 Most Nightmarish Tales of Sorority Hazing

Old 04-05-2017, 03:23 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,597,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Should be in the Darwin thread.
always great to be the first one to jump in with an unoriginal snarky comment

Her father, James Nelson, was a Port Authority police officer who died at the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.
The father was a hero. The daughter died doing something stupid. I agree with whoever said that mean spirited comments are uncalled for. Yes, the girl died while engaging in a foolish activity. But I believe that many, if not most of us, engaged in plenty of dumb activities while we were college age, and we're lucky to be alive with all limbs and neurons intact.
To Ghengis and Scooby, I'm in your corner.

To Suburban Guy,

So you're saying, in effect, that merely having poor judgement alone is a proper basis for denying anyone even the basics of dignity and respect (meaning "not hurling indignity and disrespect toward that person")? That is preposterous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22
I wonder if this girl was a victim of hazing?

Also, some people die from water drinking contests. Water is toxic at a certain level in the human body and I have plenty of sources to back that up, in case someone wants to dispute and thinks any amount of water is "safe".
Anything is deadly in large enough quantities. Paracelsus, the father of toxicology, said this as his first principle in studying poisons. Not that I am a toxicologist or had the slightest training in the field. It's just a blurb I picked up from somewhere long ago.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:33 PM

3,506 posts, read 762,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
How did she die? Eating 5 or 6 pancakes isn't that big of a deal. The article said she had food allergies, but they didn't contribute to her death. So, what killed her?

She was a thin young woman, so over-eating was not something she engaged in regularly. She didn't choke. She suddenly keeled from seizures and then she died.

Stupid journalism once again. The article tells us nothing.
yeah .. my nine year old nephew can eat 5 pancakes without any trouble ,, i just imagine what the article is not telling us is that it must have been a pancake eating race ,, how many can you eat in 60 seconds or so ..stuffing your mouth full of 4 or 5 may pose a problem .. i dont think i can and i dont plan on trying ..sad deal all around ...

Old 04-05-2017, 04:44 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The father was a hero. The daughter died doing something stupid. I agree with whoever said that mean spirited comments are uncalled for. Yes, the girl died while engaging in a foolish activity. But I believe that many, if not most of us, engaged in plenty of dumb activities while we were college age, and we're lucky to be alive with all limbs and neurons intact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Judge much? I've read several articles that said she had allergies and it's believed that was the cause of her death. I had no idea an eating contest that supports a charity was such a horrible thing for anyone - college student - or not to do. It's not like she had just eaten 600 pancakes!
No. If you actually read my comment, I was referring to the other posters who were judging her. Methinks you take offense at others' comments a bit too much.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:22 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Cars and gas were cheap in the 70s. I'd say 50%+ of the students at our school had cars.

Maybe a regional thing. I'd say 80%+ of the students at our school drank (& half that number "smoked" & "smoked"). Our parents were the guys & girls in Mad Men.

We "were" Dazed & Confused (the Director of that film had to have followed us around in HS, because he NAILED virtually activity - except middle schoolers getting swatted)
Amen

Old 04-05-2017, 08:10 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Pretty sad.

I have always wondered if most of these eating-contest venues, have
emergency-measures in-place, if something like this happens?!?!?

Old 04-05-2017, 08:22 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why should they be prohibited? Because you don't like them? Then don't participate! If no one participated, they wouldn't exist. We certainly don't need more government in our lives. Good grief!
The function of government is to exercise police powers that protects the health, welfare, and safety of residents. It looks like you haven't thought about this very deeply.

Heck, I guess we should just repeal all laws. Because we don't need government to enforce any laws, right? Let's repeal those laws against murder, rape, robbery, and kidnapping because "involving government" is worse than those activities are.

Explain to me what purpose is served by an 'eating contest". How does human society benefit from such an activity? The answer is doesn't on any level. Its simply a dangerous activity waiting to claim lives.

Such activities can probably not be prohibited on a personal or family level, but organizations like radio stations, sororities, and restaurants can be prohibited from sponsoring these contests. If it saves a few lives than it is worth it.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:46 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
This is so terrible. She had her whole life in front of her. She is a beautiful young lady.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:04 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow that is so not true where I lived, and we were far from well off, barely middle class I think. I purchased my first car new, in 1973. I was 16, nearly 17. I had worked and saved up money for a down payment, and my dad actually got the loan for me and I made the monthly payment - it was around $80. Car was just over $3000. Most others I knew my age had a car - either they bought it or parents gave them an old one.
Back in the 70's you could still buy a used car that usually ran pretty well for about $100. I bought one when i first came home from Vietnam. A lot of GI's at Fort Ord bought them to go to town (Monterey), & the Bay Area, CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events