Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:41 AM

29,524 posts, read 22,680,154 times

Advertisements

Now, the 'safe' thing many here will say is that the mother is just angry and looking to blame someone, and she should just 'get over it.'

But I certainly don't like how they handled this thing. Supposedly no one knew her son was missing until they had a head count much later on.

However, 14 months later the mom got a video camera which filmed her son's last moments as he struggled in the water and cried out for help. Chaperones were visible in the video. Now why didn't anyone assist him, and how does this translate to him being unaccounted for until a later headcount?

I'd be just as upset as her to find out almost by chance what actually happened to her son.

Georgia mother sues school district after son dies on a class trip in Belize: 'He was everything to me' - ABC News

Quote:
One mother from Georgia is taking legal action after her 14-year-old son died while on a class trip to Belize last year, and is warning other parents to "trust no one" when it comes to sending your children on international school trips.

Tomari Jackson, 14, was on a trip with his North Cobb High School Biology class last February in Belize when he died after drowning in a river during a chaperoned excursion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 10:46 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,001,508 times
14 years old is too young for a school ......to be taking students out of the country !

Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 AM

8,499 posts, read 6,902,842 times
This should be a wake up call for school districts across the country. When you take minors anywhere on an outing even abroad you step into the shoes of the parent and assume the responsibility for the care and safety of these persons.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:56 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,001,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
this should be a wake up call for school districts across the country. When you take minors anywhere on an outing even abroad you step into the shoes of the parent and assume the responsibility for the care and safety of these persons.

yes !

Old 04-21-2017, 11:04 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
This should be a wake up call for school districts across the country. When you take minors anywhere on an outing even abroad you step into the shoes of the parent and assume the responsibility for the care and safety of these persons.
So would the parents be found negligent if that were the case? Probably not

Old 04-21-2017, 11:20 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,034,216 times
Why and how is this the school's fault?

God, I'm sick of frivolous lawsuits. If the plane had crashed on the way there, would the parents have sued the FAA?

The school district didn't assume responsibility for the kid and I'll bet the parents signed a form not to hold them responsible. If the school district had deliberately killed the kid, yeah, they'd be responsible. But the parents let the kid go willingly and the kid went into water deeper than he was tall. And there ya have it!

Old 04-21-2017, 11:22 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,902,659 times
That what they call a boy has a mustache

Old 04-21-2017, 11:30 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:
When you take minors anywhere on an outing even abroad you step into the shoes of the parent and assume the responsibility for the care and safety of these persons.
Plenty of parents have lost their own children to drowning, despite the fact that the parents were right there at the time.

Did the school know the child in question did not swim well? What type of pre-trip screening was done before allowing the children on the trip to participate in a water activity? Were life jackets available? Required? I'd want to know the answers to those questions before fixing blame. Perhaps there was indeed negligence, but perhaps this was simply a tragic accident of the sort that happens hundreds of time across America every summer.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:44 AM

29,524 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Why and how is this the school's fault?

God, I'm sick of frivolous lawsuits. If the plane had crashed on the way there, would the parents have sued the FAA?

The school district didn't assume responsibility for the kid and I'll bet the parents signed a form not to hold them responsible. If the school district had deliberately killed the kid, yeah, they'd be responsible. But the parents let the kid go willingly and the kid went into water deeper than he was tall. And there ya have it!
I wouldn't call it frivolous, and maybe it wasn't deliberate, but what do YOU call it when school chaperones apparently saw her son struggling and he repeatedly called for help, and they did nothing to help him?

And the school claimed that they only knew he was missing after a head count much later on?

The mother found out these details only after her son's go pro style camera was sent to her over a year later, and she saw the heartbreaking video.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:44 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,902,659 times
An unfortunate case of parents failing to prepare their kid for life, just basic life. Like the bar can't get any lower.

14yo's should know how to swim. I mean common. This wasn't a raging river of hot damn. 14yo's should be WAY WAAAY past the phase of babysitting around a beach.

Mother was like "he was the only black one and they didn't even notice". So what are chaperones suppose to think? "Keep an eye on the black one, he might do something stupid"? Is that it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events