Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 02:11 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,213,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Legal in NYC but taxed at 120%.
If they are going to use them anyway why not tax them and regulate them and the dealers. I don't use drugs just thinking it would give the state some control
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 05:56 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Of course they are meant for children. Think about it, drug dealers prefer to give drugs away to children for free because they have no money, and when have you ever heard of an adult who enjoyed sweet food or chocolate?

Old 06-18-2017, 09:54 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Yeah...like anyone is going to give up the stash for free...to grubby-handed children
To get them hooked? To ensure a steady supply of customers? Lots of kids get $25 or more a week in allowance. The older ones often have baby sitting or lawn mowing jobs for money from the age of 12 or so.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:06 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
To get them hooked? To ensure a steady supply of customers? Lots of kids get $25 or more a week in allowance. The older ones often have baby sitting or lawn mowing jobs for money from the age of 12 or so.
$25/week? That's nowhere near enough to sustain a meth habit. While certainly there are some children who could come up with the money, even low-income adults have more ready access to the necessary cash than that vast majority of children, as well as the means (working, theft) to get more as their addiction progresses. Giving meth-candy to children simply makes no economic sense.

Given that disguising illicit substances as something legal is a common practice, that explanation is far more plausible than specifically targeting young candy-inclined children as a market for meth.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:07 AM

164 posts, read 138,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
From the article-
“appear to us designed to target children,” although he did not detail the department’s rationale for the claim. However, experts said drugs made to look like candy often aren’t meant for children at all.

I think the first part of that line is to sensationalize and a simple scare tactic. Dealers aren't going to be handing them out to kids nor will they end up in halloween trick or treat bags (remember the pot edibles scare that didn't happen?)
It is, the meth dealers are targeting the edibles market, just as the legal marijuana market is doing. I enjoy taking 25mg of THC in edible gummies with my bowl, the edibles kick in just as the bowl wears off, maintaining that same level of high for 6-7 hours. I have no idea if these meth pops would have the same effect, it's possible though, but at that point, why not just take the Sudfafed directly instead of making meth then adding it to candy?

Old 06-18-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Drugs are far more expensive than that. The only drugs kids had when I was growing up in the 90's where the ones stolen from their parents, usually alcohol, joint/blunt roaches and tar resin scraped out of bowls, occasionally pills, though most kids knew that pills where worth a good amount of money and would instead sell them.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:33 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,879,258 times
Quote:
When I was a kid late 70's/early 80's there were 12+ year old babysitters and lawn mowers, haven't seen or heard of them in 25 years. To much of a risk for homeowners and parents.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:03 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intok View Post
Drugs are far more expensive than that. The only drugs kids had when I was growing up in the 90's where the ones stolen from their parents, usually alcohol, joint/blunt roaches and tar resin scraped out of bowls, occasionally pills, though most kids knew that pills where worth a good amount of money and would instead sell them.
Okay guess I'm behind the times. I remember COPS or one of those shows showing dealers selling dime bags of crystal meth. I think they were $10, enough for a couple people to get high on.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:00 PM

579 posts, read 367,608 times
Quote:
Drug dealers don't need to give away product or advertise. Customers come to them.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Okay guess I'm behind the times. I remember COPS or one of those shows showing dealers selling dime bags of crystal meth. I think they were $10, enough for a couple people to get high on.
A meth addiction makes the users always want more and more each time, no way a kid can keep up with the financial demands of it on an allowance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events