Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:31 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Re "it's starting again", I wonder how many times kids are accidentally left in the car and DON'T die, just spend a day hungry and crying, because it wasn't hot enough to kill them. This just can't happen in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 04:14 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You mean men like me that raised their kids alone after their mom died? Please, tell me more.

Don't project your poor family social situation on the rest of us. Thanks.

I'd ask your more questions but I don't want to overwhelm your female brain. (Please note, this is intentional stereotypical commentary from 30 years ago best used only in rebuttal to such an archaic claim of mens roles and involvment in child rearing.)
There are exceptions to every "rule".

Have you made cupcakes at 10 PM because your kid forgot to tell you they'd signed you up for a donation the the bake sale? I'm sure you've got a story or two like that.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yeah there's probably some good reasons though.

No social media
Cars didn't lock automatically after you exited car / no click button locks from key FOB
Kids weren't in car seats as much
Less distracted parents (cell phones etc...)
Forget car seats. We didn't have seat belts.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:22 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I will never understand it. Even when my kids weren't with me when I was at work, they were still on my mind. I wondered how their day was, did they miss me, etc. How does a parent just go to work and forget they have their child in the car? Do they never stop during the day and think "I wonder how little Samantha or Tyler is making out today" and then realize "oh my God, I don't remember taking him/her out of the car". It's just incomprehensible to me as a mother.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:37 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Many of these cases (the accidental ones) seem to be when the routine changed in some way. A stop on the way to work that the parent normally didn't do. A different parent taking a different kid. Etc. We are very routine-driven creatures. Have you ever made a wrong turn because you were on "auto-pilot" driving to work? It's that.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:30 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I will never understand it. Even when my kids weren't with me when I was at work, they were still on my mind. I wondered how their day was, did they miss me, etc. How does a parent just go to work and forget they have their child in the car? Do they never stop during the day and think "I wonder how little Samantha or Tyler is making out today" and then realize "oh my God, I don't remember taking him/her out of the car". It's just incomprehensible to me as a mother.
Did you miss that whole section where Lynn Balfour says she thought she actually remembered dropping Bryce off that morning? That she only realized she never did when she called the sitter to check on him because he'd had a cold? Because he WAS on her mind?

Of course not, because you didn't bother to read the Post article. It's more fun and important to you to sit on your high horse and sneer "I don't understand" in judgment of a grieving mother than to dare to read and learn and then maybe understand.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:36 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Many of these cases (the accidental ones) seem to be when the routine changed in some way. A stop on the way to work that the parent normally didn't do. A different parent taking a different kid. Etc. We are very routine-driven creatures. Have you ever made a wrong turn because you were on "auto-pilot" driving to work? It's that.
Right, it's the same process of thinking, "I turned the iron off, right? Of course I did. I always do. But did I?n Yes, yes I did." The person's thinking the baby's at day care. That's where the baby is supposed to be. Why would they think differently?

Old 07-01-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right, it's the same process of thinking, "I turned the iron off, right? Of course I did. I always do. But did I?n Yes, yes I did." The person's thinking the baby's at day care. That's where the baby is supposed to be. Why would they think differently?
I've put a fast food order bag and drink on the roof of my car and started driving. I once found my missing cell phone in the refrigerator. I'm surprised my kid lived.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:03 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Re "it's starting again", I wonder how many times kids are accidentally left in the car and DON'T die, just spend a day hungry and crying, because it wasn't hot enough to kill them. This just can't happen in the summer.
I guess I should explain when I made the comment "It's starting again" I meant the reports of kids dying in hot cars was starting again not that kids were being left in cars were starting again. I'm sure it happens year round. We don't hear of this so much at other times of the year possibly because as you say it doesn't get hot enough for them to die so it doesn't make the news.

The second part of my post was in reference to the fact that this mother left her kids in the car on purpose. It made me wonder if maybe some of the past stories we heard about that were said to be accidents weren't although I'm sure most were.

So I hope this clears up the intention of my original post. Sorry I was not more clear in my meaning.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:05 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I don't know if this would work but good for him for trying.

Texas Boy Invents Device to Prevent Hot Car Deaths | NBC4 Washington

Last edited by Minervah; 07-01-2017 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: better link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events