Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:22 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right, it's the same process of thinking, "I turned the iron off, right? Of course I did. I always do. But did I?n Yes, yes I did." The person's thinking the baby's at day care. That's where the baby is supposed to be. Why would they think differently?
Exactly. In a lot of the cases, people have a memory of dropping the child off

One of the saddest ones I ever read was when a teacher stopped to get donuts for her co-workers as a treat and didn't bring the baby to daycare

Our brains are much more limited than we think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 03:58 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I guess I should explain when I made the comment "It's starting again" I meant the reports of kids dying in hot cars was starting again not that kids were being left in cars were starting again. I'm sure it happens year round. We don't hear of this so much at other times of the year possibly because as you say it doesn't get hot enough for them to die so it doesn't make the news.

The second part of my post was in reference to the fact that this mother left her kids in the car on purpose. It made me wonder if maybe some of the past stories we heard about that were said to be accidents weren't although I'm sure most were.

So I hope this clears up the intention of my original post. Sorry I was not more clear in my meaning.
No, I understood exactly what you meant the way you worded it. I was just taking it another step and wondering whether a mother has come out to her car in, say, April and found a hungry, stinky, crying, but alive kid in the back seat.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, I understood exactly what you meant the way you worded it. I was just taking it another step and wondering whether a mother has come out to her car in, say, April and found a hungry, stinky, crying, but alive kid in the back seat.
Oh, okay, good. I thought maybe I had given some people the impression I believed this only happened in the summer months from some of the responses I was getting.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:05 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Only if such a feature is mandated by the federal government. I don't think such a feature is worthy of a mandate. Moreover, even if it were mandated, the material costs of such a system are pretty minimal - perhaps $20 at most, as all we are talking about is a short-range wireless transmission system for a single command.

Where federal mandated systems really drive up the costs are in areas such as airbags (which not only drive up manufacturing cost but insurance cost as well), backup cameras, 3 MPH collision bumpers with zero damage, etc.

I don't want to derail a thread on the costs vs. the benefits of such safety systems and the governmental regulatory apparatus. One can argue one way or the other regarding those safety features. Some argue that they are part of a wealth redistribution system where more affluent buyers bear the burden of the increased price tag for a new purchase and less affluent buyers reap the benefit when 5 years hence they purchase that used car.
One could also make that mandate apply only to parents of young children, much the way of infant seats.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:07 PM

325 posts, read 371,744 times
Just yesterday I called the police about two kids--aged ten and 7--left alone in a car while the grandmother was grocery shopping. It was maybe in the low 80s, not too hot, but I still would probably not have left my dog in the car even with the windows down like they were. The kids started crying when the story clerk approached their car and they heard me reading the license plate to the dispatch. I had an ugly exchange with grandma:

Me: Ma'am, it's a hot day, you really shouldn't leave kids in the car like that. The little girl, she was jumping up and down in the driver's seat.

Grandma, eyes rolling: Well, you really shouldn't wear sandals, your feet are ugly.

Me (nice, oh-so-sweet lady I am): Oh yeah, well your *face* is ugly!

It wasn't until I got home I discovered it's not illegal to leaves kids unsupervised in a car on a hot day, heck *any* day--only up to the officer's discretion.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:12 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There are exceptions to every "rule".

Have you made cupcakes at 10 PM because your kid forgot to tell you they'd signed you up for a donation the the bake sale? I'm sure you've got a story or two like that.
So basically I say "don't make generalizations" and your response is that it's ok because there are "exceptions".

Old 07-01-2017, 10:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Exactly. In a lot of the cases, people have a memory of dropping the child off

One of the saddest ones I ever read was when a teacher stopped to get donuts for her co-workers as a treat and didn't bring the baby to daycare

Our brains are much more limited than we think
Actually she was an asst. principal. It also came out later this wasn't the first time she forgot. The first time someone noticed and alerted her. The second time it was fatal.

She was white and had a very good job, had she been a minority single mom who worked waiting tables very good chance she would have been looking at jail time.

She was also on school video showing going into the car not once, but twice to unload the donuts.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually she was an asst. principal. It also came out later this wasn't the first time she forgot. The first time someone noticed and alerted her. The second time it was fatal.

She was white and had a very good job, had she been a minority single mom who worked waiting tables very good chance she would have been looking at jail time.

She was also on school video showing going into the car not once, but twice to unload the donuts.
Oh wow I didn't know that was her second time.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Oh wow I didn't know that was her second time.
Yes, there are some online articles about it. And than going into the car not once but twice to get the donuts, and you don't notice your child there.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, there are some online articles about it. And than going into the car not once but twice to get the donuts, and you don't notice your child there.
Was this the mom who was on Oprah? I can't find any articles with this extra info in it

EDIT Never mind, found it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events