Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:48 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Exactly. I'm sure we all could come up with things people spend on that we consider a waste of money. And yes, she did do a nice thing. Sad that she's being vilified for doing it.

There are those things that you can honestly argue one way or another whether it's a wise use of money or not, and then there are those things, like a $30,000 party, that are always a waste of resources. There are some people who can sneeze away $30,000 like it's nothing but those are not the average sort of people. For most people, if you save up that much money there are many wiser and more responsible ways to utilize it. That you could disagree over what those ways might be does not negate that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 01:17 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Live and let live.

But as far a $30,000 wedding being a waste of resources, working people like caterers, musicians, florists, dressmakers, etc. DO benefit from the "waste" of others.

It is not as though she spent $30,000 on cocaine -- although, yes, it could also be argued that drug dealers and addicts do support those who have employment through the justice system, as well as those who grow the plants and manufacture the drug. (However, in THIS case, I am certainly NOT saying that's a good thing.)

P.S. Btw, my first wedding was a "white wedding" to please our parents, but my last wedding was a J.P. one, which we BOTH wanted (and we have been married 30 years). So, weddings do NOT make a marriage, but as I said -- I think people should live and let live as long as no one gets hurt.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:23 PM

1,186 posts, read 966,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I would have 150% eloped if my husband wasn't so dead set on having a wedding. It was required with him that we have a wedding. It ended up being a really terrible day for me. I mean, I am glad we are married. But wedding and the details were all about him.
Same here, except it was a combination of husband and mother. My mother wanted a traditional, Catholic wedding, my husband wanted a wedding in his country with customs there for family who couldn't travel. So we had 2 weddings, none of which I really wanted. The US wedding process, despite being much smaller was more stressful, because I was berated by practically every venue/store/wedding-related retailer I spoke to for not having this planned the thing out for at least a year in advance. I was told to leave several wedding dress places because I hadn't pre-ordered the dress 18 months in advance in time for 3 fittings. Stores in the NY area were "booked" for appointments a year in advance. Even the hair stylist berated me for not coming in for a makeup and hair 'test' prior to the actual wedding day. I didn't know any of this, because I never had researched wedding planning prior to about 6 months before the actual thing, and wasn't invested in wedding planning and my close friends really aren't interested in it either (oh no!).

Everything ended up Ok, but the whole planning experience was mind-numbingly awful. I like being married, but I'm kind of a natural introvert, so having to plan out this whole day supposedly "all about me" (as the industry would like you to believe) where I had to be the center of attention was actual more stressful than it was enjoyable.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:37 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Uppity homed people can be ungrateful slobs too. Or snobs. Or both.

I was homeless at one time. I was never ungrateful. And I'm not a slob.
At least "uppity homed people" are contributing to society by paying taxes ... Anyway, most of the homeless in my city leave a wake of trash wherever they go. Don't take my experiences regarding them personal.

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 07-17-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 03:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
A beautiful person inside and out.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:12 PM

3,069 posts, read 2,398,593 times
Everyone involved sounds like a class act, from Sarah to her former fiancee to at least one homeless person at the dinner.

"Her ex-fiance is devastated himself, reeling from his mother's recent death and the cancellation of the wedding. But he agrees that it's "a beautiful thing" for the homeless to enjoy the dinner and music they had planned together.
Bride-to-be calls off wedding, invites homeless to her reception

"Cummins' act of charity proved contagious, and several local businesses donated suits and dresses, according to NBC.

Charlie Allen, who lives at the homeless mission wore a donated jacket to the dinner.

'I didn't have a sport coat,' he explained to NBC. 'I think I look pretty nice in it.'
https://patch.com/indiana/indianapol...omeless-dinner

Last edited by toosie; 07-17-2017 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: TOS - copyright

Old 07-18-2017, 04:01 AM

4,855 posts, read 2,670,979 times
why was the wedding called off?

Old 07-18-2017, 05:27 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Everyone involved sounds like a class act, from Sarah to her former fiancee to at least one homeless person at the dinner.

"Her ex-fiance is devastated himself, reeling from his mother's recent death and the cancellation of the wedding. But he agrees that it's "a beautiful thing" for the homeless to enjoy the dinner and music they had planned together.
Bride-to-be calls off wedding, invites homeless to her reception

"Cummins' act of charity proved contagious, and several local businesses donated suits and dresses, according to NBC.

Charlie Allen, who lives at the homeless mission wore a donated jacket to the dinner.

'I didn't have a sport coat,' he explained to NBC. 'I think I look pretty nice in it.'
https://patch.com/indiana/indianapol...omeless-dinner

She dumped him right after his mother died? Class act indeed!

Old 07-18-2017, 06:51 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Same here, except it was a combination of husband and mother. My mother wanted a traditional, Catholic wedding, my husband wanted a wedding in his country with customs there for family who couldn't travel. So we had 2 weddings, none of which I really wanted. The US wedding process, despite being much smaller was more stressful, because I was berated by practically every venue/store/wedding-related retailer I spoke to for not having this planned the thing out for at least a year in advance. I was told to leave several wedding dress places because I hadn't pre-ordered the dress 18 months in advance in time for 3 fittings. Stores in the NY area were "booked" for appointments a year in advance. Even the hair stylist berated me for not coming in for a makeup and hair 'test' prior to the actual wedding day. I didn't know any of this, because I never had researched wedding planning prior to about 6 months before the actual thing, and wasn't invested in wedding planning and my close friends really aren't interested in it either (oh no!).

Everything ended up Ok, but the whole planning experience was mind-numbingly awful. I like being married, but I'm kind of a natural introvert, so having to plan out this whole day supposedly "all about me" (as the industry would like you to believe) where I had to be the center of attention was actual more stressful than it was enjoyable.
Luckily I was able to escape the flowers/hair/dress shaming because we just did things on our own. But I remember one lady asking me what my colors were for the wedding. *crickets*...what? I was not that little girl who planned pretend weddings or wrote my name with the boy I liked last name.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:56 AM

922 posts, read 791,364 times
I guess I was weird, but as a young girl I never dreamed of a big fancy wedding. When I got married the first time, we had a small ceremony in my aunt and uncle's back yard. My mom bought me a dress and my husband wore his baby blue leisure suit. (This was in 1979.) The whole affair cost about $200.

My second wedding consisted of me, my husband and my immediate family, in our apartment on Christmas Eve in front of the Christmas tree. The only thing we bought was a cake from the supermarket and our wedding rings. Still less than $200.

For me, it was about neverabout the wedding, only getting married. I have been to many extravagant weddings over the years. I would say for about 90% of them the marriage didn't last more than a couple of years. While I understand why people choose to have big weddings and receptions, the size of the wedding never ensures the quality of the marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events