Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 07:30 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times

Advertisements

What a waste of time and money. That money would have been better spent had it gone to the homeless mission, but I'm glad the bride did what she did.

My DH and I married in our small local church with just a few close friends and family members. We held our pioneer-style reception in the woods at a mutual friend's log cabin. All guests brought a dish to pass (tradition in my family). DH and I paid for meat and liquor. Sis baked the cake. Casual, comfortable dress only, including bridesmaid and best men. Music was provided by fiddles and guitars played by friends for free. We honeymooned for five days in the same quiet, isolated, rustic cabin in the beautiful woods. It was heaven. I don't remember the final cost of our wedding, but it wasn't much. What we didn't spend, we used as a down payment on a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 07:36 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Well, the time for him to protest was BEFORE the wedding was planned and paid for. Clearly he didn't have an issue with it during the months/years she was working overtime to fund THEIR wedding.

We don't know why she called the wedding off. But, we do know she made something good come out of it.
Nor do we know if "he" was the one who DID have an issue with her being singularly focused on a one-day event. She didn't disclose.... and let's get serious. A $30k wedding/reception is not typically for the guy.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:42 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
BTW, I think that the $30,000 was just the cost of the food & drink & things at the reception, not the whole cost of the wedding.
It's pretty clear from the context that it is for the whole wedding

Quote:
Sarah Cummins was supposed to get married this weekend. The 25-year-old Purdue University pharmacy student had been planning her dream wedding for two years, scrimping and working overtime to save for the $30,000 extravaganza.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:03 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Nor do we know if "he" was the one who DID have an issue with her being singularly focused on a one-day event. She didn't disclose.... and let's get serious. A $30k wedding/reception is not typically for the guy.

You seem to believe that it's only women who care about having a wedding. Nope. It is, for the most part, a decision made jointly by both the bride and the groom. At least it is when they are both adults with the ability to make decisions together and to compromise where needed. I don't know one groom who was opposed to having a wedding. In fact, every groom I know was just as clear on the importance they placed on having a wedding, on the cost they (as a couple) would incur and participated in planning the wedding. YMMV.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:09 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
It's pretty clear from the context that it is for the whole wedding
I could see potentially spending that much if it was spread out and enjoyed over several days or something, but in the US, you generally have to expend all that money for a single.day.celebration.
In other parts of the world, at least they tend to spread the celebration out a bit, haha.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:13 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,476 times
Quote:
You seem to believe that it's only women who care about having a wedding. Nope. It is, for the most part, a decision made jointly by both the bride and the groom. At least it is when they are both adults with the ability to make decisions together and to compromise where needed. I don't know one groom who was opposed to having a wedding. In fact, every groom I know was just as clear on the importance they placed on having a wedding, on the cost they (as a couple) would incur and participated in planning the wedding. YMMV.
Oh come now! I have never heard of a wedding referred to as "his day," and only rarely as "their day." Yes, guys may be interested in having a wedding, but very few guys are looking for a fairytale wedding. The fact that they go along is usually an acquiescence to the desires of the bride-to-be. Acquiescing to one another needs is not necessarily a bad thing, its part of what relationships are about, but to suggest guys (in significant numbers) are just as interested in them as women is simply not true.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:42 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
The groom goes along with it because he's pretty sure the bride won't stay the bride for long if he doesn't. Women are told they "deserve" their day and any man who won't go along with it isn't worth having. There will always be exceptions, my own wife among them, but that's pretty much the standard. Very few guys actually WANT to spend $30,000-$50,000 on a one day party...doing so is actually one of the most irresponsible decisions a new couple can make, but these men feel that they have to, so they do. I told my wife if I ever saved up tens of thousands of dollars to spend on a party, I'd spend it on something more tangible, or just save/invest it. Thankfully she agreed with my sentiment.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
People can't win anymore. This girl decided she wanted a $30,000 wedding. She (from the context) didnt run up credit cards, she didnt set up crowdfunding, and she make "him" pay for it. She decided what she wanted and worked overtime scrimping and saving to get it. Why is that so bad? If she woke up one day and said "I want to light $30,000 on fire" and worked her butt off to make that money who are we to begrudge what she did with it.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't

Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Part of me wants to applaud her. Part of me wants to say, "A $30,000 wedding? Are you crazy?"
Right!?!?!?!?!

Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Because that is the reality. The groom may go along with it, but it's the bride who wants and in many cases "conditioned" since being a young girl to have the big wedding.

Yes, both adults....LOL. People become very childish(and that includes the parents) when it comes to weddings.

People get ridiculous these days over weddings. Middle class people who think they need to have a wedding that costs more than their yearly salary.

They also now have "destination" weddings and even "destination" bachelorette parties.

I know of a wedding where the bride and groom had a big over the top wedding, they have been living together for 5 years. Couldn't just have a small ceremony with immediate family and close friends.

The trend now is create a wedding website, they go online and want guests contribute to various funds, the "honeymoon fund", the "want to buy a house fund", this is the age of entiltement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events