Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:58 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I'd have let the guy take whatever was in the Starbucks till. That said, the codger was only putting himself in danger in this particular instance, so no greater harm was risked with his intervention.
This guy was no "codger." He may be olderr but he looked pretty burly to me. No pushover and hardly to be taken lightly. And still, he put a metal framed chair over the robbers head and didn't put him down and out. There's lessons to be learned here. Ones that need taken to heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 06:52 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Most robbers just want some money and be on their way. Bad things can happen when they are confronted like this. I would call 911. But getting in a fight? Too much work and uncertain outcome.
I truly do not understand this attitude. The man stepped in and risked his own safety to give the finger to the robber. Are people really such wimps that they will just stand idly by and allow a person to steal money from a store? It's not the robber's money. The guy walloped him with a chair. Good for him. He is a hero. By the time the cops got there, the man would have been long gone. Passive attitudes like this is part of the reason there is so much crime.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:45 AM

17,274 posts, read 21,998,333 times
That customer could have been a Vietnam Vet, hard to tell his age from the video but I applaud his actions.

I think the world needs more proactive people like this. If the guy was aiming a gun at the cashier (grainy video) I don't know if this was a good approach but if it was just a knife then I think the chair approach was a decent idea!

It really would have been a good approach with a firearm.....come up from behind and tell the guy to lay down but if he turns around with the knife.....boom....crime stoppers!

Too bad Eddie Murphy wasn't there with the mop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61eBU61Y1c

Old 07-24-2017, 11:52 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Kudos to this guy! I feel sorry for the people who think he was foolish. Probably the same people who bury their heads in the sand if they saw someone get shot in broad daylight.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:31 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Kudos to this guy! I feel sorry for the people who think he was foolish. Probably the same people who bury their heads in the sand if they saw someone get shot in broad daylight.
Plus 1 ^^^^

Old 07-24-2017, 01:10 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I truly do not understand this attitude. The man stepped in and risked his own safety to give the finger to the robber. Are people really such wimps that they will just stand idly by and allow a person to steal money from a store? It's not the robber's money. The guy walloped him with a chair. Good for him. He is a hero. By the time the cops got there, the man would have been long gone. Passive attitudes like this is part of the reason there is so much crime.
Me not really a wimp, but more like lazy and lawsuit averse. If I had intervened with the same chair, the robber might have been killed or badly injured. There is no telling what would happen then legally. If this had been a crime against a person, I most likely, probably, maybe, possibly would have intervened. Crimes against properties do not result in imminent dangers to anyone and thus do not warrant my intervention that could have made things much worse than a few stolen dollars, in this case.

But kudos to the man who tried to stop the robber.

Last edited by davidt1; 07-24-2017 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 05:11 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
I applaud this hero - he did something most of us (myself included) would probably not have done.

That being said, he did risk his life doing so. And:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What is really crazy is you can try and stop a robbery but if you use what a court would deem "excessive force" you are the one that is in trouble like that woman that ran down the purse snatcher with her car.
Absolutely. It's reprehensible that you can get in trouble yourself for trying to stop a criminal. We're living in a world where scum-bag criminals have more rights than innocent people do. Pathetic!

Old 07-24-2017, 07:07 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I applaud this hero - he did something most of us (myself included) would probably not have done.

That being said, he did risk his life doing so. And:

Absolutely. It's reprehensible that you can get in trouble yourself for trying to stop a criminal. We're living in a world where scum-bag criminals have more rights than innocent people do. Pathetic!
You do not get in trouble for stopping a criminal you get in trouble when you use excessive force to stop the criminal. Trying to stop a thief is just dumb you do not know how dangerous they are there is a reason there is the police.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:17 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Follow up headlines-
'Starbucks fires customer stopping a robbery' or
'Starbucks bans customer for life for stopping robbery'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events