Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 06:01 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm not assuming that they are, but statistically the odds are high. And they shape the state for even non-Mormons.
You seem knowledgeable about it. I was surprised to learn that there's a Tibetan community in Utah. I wonder how the citizenry gets along with a Buddhist community in their midst...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 06:28 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Maybe he was an addict. I saw a program on the pill addiction problem in Utah. It's everywhere, but it's an especially bad problem there. A Mormon elder was on telling about his heroin dealing (the drug people with oxy addiction turn to when the amount of oxy they need is too expensive on the black market). He thinks he's doing them a Godly service. Saving them from buying bad heroin or the wrong drug entirely from less scrupulous dealers.

Another dealer said that they are not allowed even caffine or a sip of wine, so they turn to pills. But still on the sly. It was wild. Wish I had caught the whole program.

Domestic abuse being rampant among a population that is very Patriarchal is not a surprise at all. Mormons are under a tremendous amount of pressure to be perfect. And 'ish rolls downhill'.
Being an addict doesn't change your inherent personality or propensity for violence. The crime that is associated with the drug epidemic comes from people stealing to get money to pay for the drugs, which clearly would make no sense with this set of facts. The other violence, such as murder, comes from the drug dealers protecting their territory or inventory. There is no evidence to suggest the guy was a drug dealer, although I suppose it is possible. But that would have nothing to do with him killing his wife.

And yes, domestic violence is rampant among the very religious. But I'm not sure whether that is the case here. Anyplace where women are devalued and men are valued leads to this, so I'm not surprised Utah has high numbers of DV. I'm not sure, though, that these people are Mormon -- I saw in one set of comments that they were not. But I have no idea of the veracity of that statement.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:05 PM

783 posts, read 576,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This guy was obviously a chronic abuser who finally killed his wife after years of assaulting her. This POS deserves the death penalty. So terrible for the children.
Like many of the others in this thread, I will speculate. This may have been a case where a person being abused during the marriage finally fights back and kills the abuser.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:08 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
So many questions arise, that are left unanswered.

If there were abuse issues going on in the marriage, why would they take a cruise and bring their kids?

Old 07-28-2017, 10:37 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,903 times
From the article:

"You feel sorry for the family but a lot of people had to wait," said Lloyd Barrows, a passenger from Alberta, Canada.

Lloyd Barrows, you are a class A jackass and thoughtless moron!

Old 07-28-2017, 11:13 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,081 times
I think it is more to the story than "she wouldn't stop laughing at him".

Old 07-28-2017, 11:31 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
They should all laugh at him in the execution chamber.
Oh my gosh...this made me chuckle. Great come back...LOL

Old 07-29-2017, 12:18 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,863,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker-yanker View Post
I see this stuff and I am afraid to get married.
Because you're unstable?

...and I laugh at inappropriate times. I guess we better both stay single.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:52 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
Like many of the others in this thread, I will speculate. This may have been a case where a person being abused during the marriage finally fights back and kills the abuser.
Your take on this is that the wife abused the husband for years and he finally couldn't take it anymore and killed her on the cruise?
Ok.
Maybe aliens actually murdered her.

But back to likely scenarios, people don't just wake up one day and decide to beat their spouse to death. Someone who would do this has engaged in this sort of behavior for a long time. You see this scenario again and again and again -- abuse for years and then finally murder. It happens way too frequently.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:08 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This guy was obviously a chronic abuser who finally killed his wife after years of assaulting her. This POS deserves the death penalty. So terrible for the children.
How do you know he was a chronic abuser? How do you know he assaulted her for years? Did she file complaints with the police? Did she go to the emergency rooms because she was assaulted for years? This is a tragic event and the alleged criminal deserves just punishment for the crime. It's one thing to post your opinion, but making up stuff is not cool.

From CBS News:

Quote:
Friends told CBS News' Jamie Yuccas that the couple were high school sweethearts and had been married more than 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events