Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 09:39 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
How do you know he was a chronic abuser? How do you know he assaulted her for years? Did she file complaints with the police? Did she go to the emergency rooms because she was assaulted for years? This is a tragic event and the alleged criminal deserves just punishment for the crime. It's one thing to post your opinion, but making up stuff is not cool.

From CBS News:
It fits the pattern. Again, you don't just wake up one day and decide to kill your spouse. This must have been going on for years. There are so many abusive men out there, it is sickening. Many women suffer in silence for years. This man beat her to death. You don't just kill someone with your first beating. The guy is obviously a POS.

I don't know why you think that someone who is a high school sweetheart cannot be an abuser. It happens all the time. And that fact can make it even harder for the abused person to leave, because this person is all they've known -- they've been together for "forever" - it would be even more difficult to imagine life without the person. Even though they'll probably kill you one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 10:03 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I hate to judge a book by its cover BUT.... He looks like a whack job. Very sad for all involved including the cruise line and other passengers.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:44 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
There are reports from friends and neighbors that they were the "perfect" couple, but that doesn't mean anything. How many guys have been community leaders, getting involved in charities, or playing Santa Claus at the orphanage, or whatever, successful businessmen, but later turn out to be under scrutiny for the mysterious disappearance of the wife they claimed to be devoted to?

OTOH, we don't know anything about this couple, other than this incident. The only people who really know are those poor girls. I read that someone's taken up a collection for them, a crowdfunding thing. No word on who will finish raising the younger two, who are in HS. They'll need therapy, undoubtedly.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:45 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
I guess if it was the opposite and a wife killed a husband, everybody would cry how he mentally abused her all those years.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:12 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
He sounds like a loon! No great lose to society.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:28 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Moderator cut: deleted post and orphaned reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I guess if it was the opposite and a wife killed a husband, everybody would cry how he mentally abused her all those years.
I am not defending this guy in any way, but this raises an interesting point. The whole 'would not stop laughing at him' thing speaks to humiliation and psychological abuse.

I am not saying that this is in any way supportable, but if it were the other way around I wonder if there would be so many posts saying, "She looks like a narcissistic loser".

I suspect only the daughters know what their family life was truly like.

Last edited by toosie; 07-30-2017 at 06:07 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 11:41 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,078,730 times
I have a friend who was/is literally on that very same cruise ship. They ended up having to go to Juneau when they were on their way to Mendenhall Glacier locking down the ship for over a day and would not let any passengers on or off. Only people allowed on or off was law enforcement. They had just come from Ketchikan when here is what my friend said on her FB page:

"Last night, on the Emerald Princess, a public announcement called security and medical teams to a room on another deck.This morning, about 6:30 ADT, the captain made a public announcement -- we would be going straight to Juneau, instead of sailing through the fjords, because there was a murder. Domestic dispute involving a couple from Utah. The FBI and local authorities will be coming on board to investigate.
Thinking about the deceased passenger's family and friends."

They finally got a leave after over a day but eventually got to go see the Glacier/s and are still on their cruise.
They are going to have quite a story to tell for the rest of their lives, that's for sure.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
In view of the fact that she was clearly the main earner in the family and had her act together, while he was trying to cobble together a decent income from juggling a couple of sales gigs or some such, it's entirely possible that she might rub his face in it, from time to time, and the laughing scenario might have been the final straw. We have NO IDEA! So there's not much point in speculating.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:07 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If they are not Mormon, I would suspect that alcohol may have been involved.

I am not defending this guy in any way, but this raises an interesting point. The whole 'would not stop laughing at him' thing speaks to humiliation and psychological abuse.

I am not saying that this is in any way supportable, but if it were the other way around I wonder if there would be so many posts saying, "She looks like a narcissistic loser".

I suspect only the daughters know what their family life was truly like.
It's possible but again, why not seek a divorce? That would've been preferable then resorting to violence.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
It's possible but again, why not seek a divorce? That would've been preferable then resorting to violence.
It's possible that he needed her around, for financial security. She had the more stable and lucrative career, it looks like. I'd rather not know; either way you figure it, it would add up to a disturbing scenario. And 3 girls had to be raised in that difficult atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events