Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 11:40 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Weird, I see lots of millennials getting jobs, and good ones too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 11:49 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Weird, I see lots of millennials getting jobs, and good ones too.
You are correct. We do still have some good jobs. Just not enough to go round. Not enough for the same percentage of the population who were able to get decent jobs in generations past.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:53 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You are correct. We do still have some good jobs. Just not enough to go round. Not enough for the same percentage of the population who were able to get decent jobs in generations past.

When I was a kid (lol), you didn't expect great jobs off the bat, sometimes you started at entry level and worked your way up. We certainly didn't expect McDonald's to pay a living wage.

I haven't seen any data supporting what you said, a lot of people saying it? Yeah. Stats? No.

Not saying it's not out there, so I would be interested.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-30-2017, 12:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
I'm a boomer, but since I had the bad luck to get really sick the last year of high school, I had a ten year wait for looking for that job.... It was the 80's by then and tech jobs were just starting to be established. I took programming and ended up getting a job in it. But it was on the cusp of the new, new operating systems and so on. When the bank I worked for got bought up by another bank, they put in new hardware, and unfortunately for most of us, it was a small learning curve they weren't willing to offer. They fired the whole programming staff. Then, as many of their system programs were done in fortran with some unusual self written software worked in. And some really really old documentation. They had to hire back a few of the people who kept it up when it crashed the system. He had already set himself up as a contractor, so they had to pay the head guy contractor prices, and he was staying until they replaced all these ancient bits of software.

For those of us just starting out, the systems were changing but not common. They wanted people with experience with the new, not the old. I had one more job, lasting until the revision of another places system. But by then unless one went back and got more training, it was pretty much over. The thing about the jobs of today is the skills needed change, and the educational system teaching its essencials is catching up too. If you get into a good job with skills which will stand you in good stead for the next one, excellent! But there isn't room for everyone and its very much based on the most skilled.

If that was your goal, and you didn't make it, then you have to find something else. And that takes time, and maybe isn't the salary you planned.

This is hardly new in times of transition but there can only be so many in any profession and when it becomes the thing most desired, a lot of people will have to be looking for another option. And sometimes being overtrained in one thing makes a possible employee less desired as they want them to learn and use the system as they do, not someone else.

Today, too many people are chasing a limited number of jobs, and some or them have to lose. They may even be good at what they know, but its just not exactly what the employer wants when the next three in line do know. And when your dream had six figures, and you end up with five, it feels like you failed even if you were just a little late.

This isn't new, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier to find a new path when the old one is left behind.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:43 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
For Millenials, the delay of marriage depends on a lot of factors:

- This generation is much more racially diverse than GenX or the Baby Boomers. As such, you have a lot of first-generation Americans in our group that come from cultures where you don't move out of the house UNTIL you're married. I know several people with good paying STEM jobs that still live at home. They split bills with their parents but also save plenty of money so that they'll be able to buy a house right after they get married.

- The cohort range is huge. We're talking about a wide range of people from those that had nearly graduated college when 9/11 happened to those that were still wearing diapers. I remember being a kid, watching the '94 NBA finals get interrupted by the OJ Bronco chase. I work with people that weren't even born, and they're full grown adults now.

- Boomers required less education to achieve financial success. Many went to college but not because they HAD to go. Nowadays, if you're not mechanically inclined or a natural handyman sort, you have to go to college...even the trades require post secondary learning through apprenticeships and the like. I work in an industry where there's lots of on-the-job training but you still have to have a college degree.

- People always talk about participation trophies, but I don't remember any of that. I'd guess that most Millenials born before 1990 only remember "1st", "2nd" and "3rd" place. You MIGHT get a ribbon after that, but definitely not a cool and shiny trophy.

- In the old days, men almost had to get married just to have sex consistently. Sure premarital sex happened, but contraceptives were less reliable, so if a woman turned up pregnant, a shotgun wedding was likely to ensue. At age 21 or 22, you were either going to get married or have sex, get someone pregnant and then get married. Women had fewer options, so they were forced to be more practical when choosing a spouse. A good provider, comparable values, somewhat pleasant to be around and hopefully there was a decent attraction. With online dating and a more "open" culture, women will spend more time dating around; the kind of man they'd marry in 1957, they'll likely ignore in 2017.
This bolded statement is why red pill and mgtow exist. Modern women aren't content with the boring suburban wife role which is all a lot of men really want. After 60 hours of work who wants to remain "on" and do a bunch of crap outside the house? Apparently quite a few. The nonstop adventures, partying and nightclubbing... No thanks. I like to get out of the house but I like nature stuff and hiking, not social life, night life, or partying, much less tattoos and dive bars or packed restaurants on a Friday night with long wait times. All the old fashioned women get taken early. Family values have diminished. Simply being a good provider and responsible no longer cuts it. Women will pick the jobless druggie if he's more "exciting.". ... Or course they won't marry him, rather date for a month or two and move onto the next one. Its great women no longer have to remain in unhappy marriages with abusive or inconsiderate men but it would be nice if more of them were more reserved and introverted instead of wild and outgoing.

Ah well, its all genetics. No sense in fighting nature. Adapt or die.

Last edited by sholomar; 07-30-2017 at 12:54 PM..

Old 07-30-2017, 01:40 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
This bolded statement is why red pill and mgtow exist. Modern women aren't content with the boring suburban wife role which is all a lot of men really want. After 60 hours of work who wants to remain "on" and do a bunch of crap outside the house? Apparently quite a few. The nonstop adventures, partying and nightclubbing... No thanks. I like to get out of the house but I like nature stuff and hiking, not social life, night life, or partying, much less tattoos and dive bars or packed restaurants on a Friday night with long wait times. All the old fashioned women get taken early. Family values have diminished. Simply being a good provider and responsible no longer cuts it. Women will pick the jobless druggie if he's more "exciting.". ... Or course they won't marry him, rather date for a month or two and move onto the next one. Its great women no longer have to remain in unhappy marriages with abusive or inconsiderate men but it would be nice if more of them were more reserved and introverted instead of wild and outgoing.

Ah well, its all genetics. No sense in fighting nature. Adapt or die.
It's pretty obvious you haven't met many women.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:53 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
IMO, it is because more and more young people don't see the advantage in being married. (NOT the case 50 years ago!)

Personally, I think that's sad.
Maybe, but it's not 1950 anymore. How many women back in the day stayed in loveless or abusive marriages
because they had to depend on their husband as the breadwinner and they were SAHM's with no other resources, and children to take care of? How easy was it for them to find a good paying job, or get a loan on their own? How did people view a " divorced" woman back then?
We women have more choices these days and can make our own way.... we don't have to stay in loveless or abusive marriages because we no longer have to stay under his thumb... just sayin.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When I was a kid (lol), you didn't expect great jobs off the bat, sometimes you started at entry level and worked your way up. We certainly didn't expect McDonald's to pay a living wage.

I haven't seen any data supporting what you said, a lot of people saying it? Yeah. Stats? No.

Not saying it's not out there, so I would be interested.
McDonalds pretty much did pay a living wage in the mid 70's. A minimum wage job, full time, with no benefits did pay enough for the basic necessities of life. I know because I did it.

The apartment complex where I lived during university is still out there. A true apples to apples comparison. Today's rent is $800 for a 1br apartment and minimum wage is $7.25. After taxes/deductions it's fair to say take home is @$200 per week. That apartment would cost all of your take home pay. So no food, no utilities, no car, no gas. Can't be done.

When I lived there, rent for a 1br was $120 per month and minimum wage was $2.30. That left me taking home $70 per week/ or $280 per month. I had enough money to pay rent, utilities, buy food, and drive a rust bucket car.

I wasn't living high by any means and I usually did without a phone. But I did have cable TV. That was my big luxury. My point is back then it could be done. It wasn't much fun but you could do it. I had my side hustles too and worked OT whenever I could, and tutored, and babysat. But in the mid 70's you could still survive on minimum wage. Today you can't even come close. During the summer, I worked 2 ft jobs to save money for tuition and books.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:42 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
Helicopter parents produces spoiled brats that don't know how to interact and form relationship. At 18 I had to either go to school or the miltary.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:49 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Helicopter parents produces spoiled brats that don't know how to interact and form relationship. At 18 I had to either go to school or the miltary.
So do the kids in this generation so what is your point other than another "back in my day rant"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events