Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 10:16 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If I look at the people I grew up with, we didn't wait for the well paying jobs to do so. We did house/apt shares, utility shares, food shop shares, etc. We were creative on creating furniture. My first two cars were beaters.

Exactly.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 10:18 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
IWe weren't offered a class on how to make it financially in the real world. That should be a required class; learning checkbooks, mortgages, basic cooking/ laundry skills. I don't push blame but without proper tools how can we expect anyone to thrive?

Neither were we AND WE DIDN'T HAVE THE INTERNET.

Yet we have thrived.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2017, 10:23 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
High Starting salary? Nursing starts out in the mid 30s which is hardly high. Even computer science (which is extremely broad) doesn't start out that high (usually in the low/mid 40s). Yes, money can be made with many years of experience, but definitely not when first starting out.

I'm not sure where people get the idea that graduates, even in STEM fields, find jobs that pay really high when fresh out of college.
Depends where you live. By me they (nurses) start in the high 60s/low 70s and since many of them have FT jobs that they work at three days per week, they get a second job that they go to 1-2x/week so they end up making six figures pretty early on in the game.

I will agree STEM isn't the end all be all. Some jobs pay laughable wages in a HCOLA. My friend used to work as a research technician at a very well known place in the city and a research technician II position wanted someone with experience, they usually wanted someone with a MS and the salary was 38K in one of the most expensive places in the country. Whoopee.

As for me, you couldn't pay me to move back home. Once I was out, that was it. It took me awhile to graduate from college but once I graduated and got a job, I moved out less than two months later. My parents didn't pay for college. My parents didn't pay my phone bill. My parents didn't give me money toward a wedding or a d/p for a house. There's no bitterness---just the experience of one millenial. If your parents don't have it to give, it can't be done.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:02 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I really don't see what the problem is with the older age of marriage. I got married at 33, wife 30.

It means Millennials are making better choices since having kids and/or getting a divorce in your 20s when you're not financially secure is often a huge problem.

The baby boomers grew up in an era when the age of marriage when abnormally low. Historically it was not typical for people to get married in their teens and early 20s. It typically was 22-26 for women, 24-32 for men. During the 1940s-60s, there was this huge push for people get married after high school. It's probably the reason so many divorces happened in the 70s through 90s, because a bunch of people unwisely got married too young.

What affects Millennials is that there's basically a 5-8 year lag compared to the Boomers, caused by the economy. I achieved by age 29 what my dad thought I should have been able to do when I was 24. Similar for my wife vis-a-vis her parents.

The reality is that what Millennials are achieving is not significantly different than what anybody pre-WWII would have done. My great-grandparents similarly did not leave the farm until they were relatively old, like 28-30. My grandfather lived at home until his early 30s. My grandmother lived on her own as young as 22, but she rented a room in a boarding house in which the matron of the house was basically in-loco-parentis, did not live on her own until she got married.

We had some great economic circumstances after WWII that the Boomers enjoyed. That's not coming back.

Re-watch "It's a Wonderful Life" sometime. George Bailey was living in his parents house until he got married, which was when he was in his late 20s, early 30s. That was how people lived in the pre-WWII economy. Not many 25 year olds were buying fancy houses. They lived in their parents house or at most, rented a room in some kind of boarding house until they had been working for a good number of years. Today we don't have the boarding houses.
My grandparents and back farmed... my Grandfather said a man could not seriously date until he had the means to support a family... for most that meant bumping against 30 in his generation... my Grandmother said the provider role was very important... and most of the women married about 6 to 8 years younger than the men...

Of course there were exceptions if the man was expected to take over the farm as it was assumed he would have the means...

For many... people needed each other and this is not so much today...

Almost all of our new hires have a child... not a one is married.... about half are with the father of their child and half not... they are all RN's or OR techs... fully capable of supporting themselves.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:10 AM

My siblings and I all had jobs young... I started paying into social security just before I turned 13... I have never met so many kids today in their early 20's that have never worked...

Even in high school the deans would keep a list of job openings... even if someone called with yard work or hauling... if you had a pickup there were always jobs... can't imaging the Dean of Women or Men in a high school setting lining up babysitting, hauling, yard work jobs today...

Some of these jobs turned into careers... one of the guys started with major sports franchise and now is Director of Stadium Operations... all from a job posting at the high school...

Recently, one of my coworkers was lamenting her 22 year old son had never had a job and asked if I had anything... told her I have some apartment turnovers coming up... cleaning, painting, moving appliances... she thought about it and said it was not for him... citing paint fumes, getting hurt lifting and using chemicals to clean... I said hasn't he help you doing these things around the house and she said NO...

Old 08-02-2017, 12:00 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Man, I moved out of the house at 19. Bought my first condo, a fixer, at 21. Married at 28. had kids at 30. I have an excellent relationship with my mom, but I couldn't wait to be on my own. I don't see that same zeal these days. I didn't have the luxury of moving in with mom so that I could afford my $450k first home. I had to bust my butt and work overtime to raise money for the downpayment. And it was less than $100k. not a palace, but it was all mine.

fyi - i'm not a baby boomer either but a gen Xer. That generation between the millennials and the boomers.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:04 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Delayed weddings don't have a direct relationship with living at home. They are related to a third factor, the general economy. But it's not as though Millennials are living at home because they can't get married, or that they can't get married because they're living at home.

A lot of old people are delaying retirement because the same economy put them behind the eight ball in their late middle age.
I disagree with the bolded. Once people live with a partner, it makes less sense, financially, socially, and emotionally, to continue being with parents.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:25 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My siblings and I all had jobs young... I started paying into social security just before I turned 13... I have never met so many kids today in their early 20's that have never worked...

Even in high school the deans would keep a list of job openings... even if someone called with yard work or hauling... if you had a pickup there were always jobs... can't imaging the Dean of Women or Men in a high school setting lining up babysitting, hauling, yard work jobs today...

Some of these jobs turned into careers... one of the guys started with major sports franchise and now is Director of Stadium Operations... all from a job posting at the high school...

Recently, one of my coworkers was lamenting her 22 year old son had never had a job and asked if I had anything... told her I have some apartment turnovers coming up... cleaning, painting, moving appliances... she thought about it and said it was not for him... citing paint fumes, getting hurt lifting and using chemicals to clean... I said hasn't he help you doing these things around the house and she said NO...
Yes, the problem is that when you make it illegal for people to work until they are 16, you essentially force people to learn how to be content with not working. Even when they are over 16, they don't want to work in many cases because they have found ways of suppressing their desire to work. These techniques were useful to them when below age 16, to help them avoid being "angry at the world". This was a serious problem for me for many years. When I was underage, I was worried this would happen but was helpless to stop it, apart from some odd jobs like selling things on e-Bay.

I always find it weird that people say you need to forbid people from working below age 16 because they "lack life experience". This is just as silly as saying you don't want to learn to drive a car because you lack driving experience.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:54 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Yes, the problem is that when you make it illegal for people to work until they are 16, you essentially force people to learn how to be content with not working. Even when they are over 16, they don't want to work in many cases because they have found ways of suppressing their desire to work. These techniques were useful to them when below age 16, to help them avoid being "angry at the world". This was a serious problem for me for many years. When I was underage, I was worried this would happen but was helpless to stop it, apart from some odd jobs like selling things on e-Bay.

I always find it weird that people say you need to forbid people from working below age 16 because they "lack life experience". This is just as silly as saying you don't want to learn to drive a car because you lack driving experience.
It is not illegal in the US to work in certain jobs under the age of 16. Here's a link to read:

https://www.dol.gov/whd/childlabor.htm

This has existed for decades so it's nothing new.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

My brother started working as a lifeguard at 15... I just check the department of labor site and this is approved.

Also lists things like babysitting for under 14... and my neice makes $15 an hour doing so and has her babysitting course and lifesaving card...

On military bases it was or is 12 years old to babysit...

There are options depending on age.

One every Saturday job I has as a kid was washing all the cars at a car lot...

All of my real jobs with withholding also required a school district work-permit...

Seriously... I was mowing lawns before age 10, weeding, painting fences etc... and it looks like this might not fly today unless I was working in a family business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events