Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 05:14 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
That actually helps make a case that this isn't a generational issue but an individual issue.

EVERYTHING is. Nothing can be across an entire generation, but different generations are known for different things as they are more predominant.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 02:12 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
I'll gladly move out of my parents' house as soon as I have a well-paying enough job to do so.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:56 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'll gladly move out of my parents' house as soon as I have a well-paying enough job to do so.
If I look at the people I grew up with, we didn't wait for the well paying jobs to do so. We did house/apt shares, utility shares, food shop shares, etc. We were creative on creating furniture. My first two cars were beaters.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:12 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That has not been our experience. Our son recently graduated Magna C*m Laude from a well regarded New England college. This past Summer, he interned at a local art gallery.

Now he is curating at another gallery, which is a full time, well payed position.

He and his girlfriend intend to apply to graduate school next year, to obtain their terminal degrees in each of their fields.
Our son followed his talent, and excelled in it. We did not push STEM or business on either student. They both chose LAC. (Liberal Arts Colleges)

Our daughter is still in college. Our son is self supporting and, sadly, has no interest in living with us. Although, the door is always open!

ETA - my son and his fiancee are talking about marriage. In fact, many students from his college marry.
The economy is much different now than it was from 2008-2012 or so. While I'm not saying things are easy now, the job market, especially at the entry level, was much tougher overall then.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:37 AM

108 posts, read 100,258 times
I'm a millennial and lived at home until I was 22. I have been working FT since high school, have taken a few semesters of college, and completed a few certification programs. I worked hard to get to my current position at a wonderful company that compensates 'livable wages'. Many others still struggle working FT, waitressing on the side, and barely able to make rent car payments insurance food utilities. We weren't offered a class on how to make it financially in the real world. That should be a required class; learning checkbooks, mortgages, basic cooking/ laundry skills. I don't push blame but without proper tools how can we expect anyone to thrive?

Old 08-02-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
.... We weren't offered a class on how to make it financially in the real world. That should be a required class; learning checkbooks, mortgages, basic cooking/ laundry skills. I don't push blame but without proper tools how can we expect anyone to thrive?
Neither were we. What should be, has never been from our educational system for all the years I've been alive. It made no sense to me to teach me about bees and flowers, yet to teach me nothing about life skills.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:04 AM

35 posts, read 28,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
I'm a millennial and lived at home until I was 22. I have been working FT since high school, have taken a few semesters of college, and completed a few certification programs. I worked hard to get to my current position at a wonderful company that compensates 'livable wages'. Many others still struggle working FT, waitressing on the side, and barely able to make rent car payments insurance food utilities. We weren't offered a class on how to make it financially in the real world. That should be a required class; learning checkbooks, mortgages, basic cooking/ laundry skills. I don't push blame but without proper tools how can we expect anyone to thrive?
That's just it. The education in this country is working exactly how it was designed.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:09 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Many of these kids simply have no ambition either, and it's due to our generation pandering to their every whim. We have failed this generation like no other IMHO by giving them trophies for simply showing up and treating them like royalty. The payback is delayed retirement and ungrateful spoiled brats living under our roofs.
Who is this *we* you speak of?
Our children were not given anything just because they showed up, they were not coddled and all 3 of them worked their way through college.
All parents on the planet do not raise their children like you apparently did.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Who is this *we* you speak of?
Helicopter parents.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:54 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
In high COL areas it is hard to find even basic housing on a single income. In low COL areas like where I live it would be mostly from lack of ambition. I couldn't wait to move out fast enough, but I had a really dysfunctional childhood. The dumpiest $400 a month studio apartment was 100X better than living at home. A couple times I did have to boomerang back but any time I was able financially able I quickly moved out again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events