Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Man, I moved out of the house at 19. Bought my first condo, a fixer, at 21. Married at 28. had kids at 30. I have an excellent relationship with my mom, but I couldn't wait to be on my own. I don't see that same zeal these days. I didn't have the luxury of moving in with mom so that I could afford my $450k first home. I had to bust my butt and work overtime to raise money for the downpayment. And it was less than $100k. not a palace, but it was all mine.

fyi - i'm not a baby boomer either but a gen Xer. That generation between the millennials and the boomers.
My brother moved out the house the day after High School graduation and never came back... he also put himself through UC Berkeley... no student loans... worked two jobs... a night cashier job at a 24 mini-mart and a weekend job that covered his apartment... could only afford a motorcycle for years but it made parking on campus a breeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 04:42 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Me too. Picked walnuts since 4th grade (we lived in an orchard and I bagged them and sold them), I baby sat neighborhood kids, and got a job as a restaurant hostess at 15.5.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2017, 04:55 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
Why do the millennials feel they are entitled ?

Old 08-02-2017, 05:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
I want my kids to live at home as long as they want to, so they can start saving for a house and not get stuck living in apartments like my husband and I did. I also don't want them to feel like they need to get married to live with someone, or to find someone to marry so they can afford to move out.

I got married when I was 18 and it's been good but I just want my kids to have more choices than I did, and to enjoy their 20's without a constant financial struggle.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:51 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I want my kids to live at home as long as they want to, so they can start saving for a house and not get stuck living in apartments like my husband and I did. I also don't want them to feel like they need to get married to live with someone, or to find someone to marry so they can afford to move out.

I got married when I was 18 and it's been good but I just want my kids to have more choices than I did, and to enjoy their 20's without a constant financial struggle.
So you are willing to let them live off of you until they save for their own home? Your 20's should be about getting a plan and going through some highs and lows. Learning life skills and problem-solving.
What in the world is wrong with an apartment?? Or roommates? Or living alone in an efficiency to learn independence?
I adore my grown kids, but I am loving this time alone with my husband. I wouldn't trade it for anything because I know we gave our kids the tools to be independent...and they are. It's our turn now to be a couple again.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:13 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,862,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Why do the millennials feel they are entitled ?
Idk...not true for all.
My daughter doesn't act entitled. She's more of a giver, with extreme empathy --giving her money away at the age of five to people who didn't have any, at Book Fairs Etc. Bringing things to Goodwill, volunteering at the humane society.

She worked while she went to high school, walked to work. She went to college and lived in a dorm. She walked to her part-time job on the weekends while living in a dorm. She moved home again only for a short while, to look for a job in the big city.

She got a job, then a better one, met a nice guy --another stable, hard working millennial -- she moved out last year. I had more problems with the empty nest thing then she did, it was fun having her around.

Sbe is now at 22 making more money than I am: with 6 years of college and 20+ years of work experience. It could have been luck, but she also had parents who were never privileged or entitled and tried to show her everything she needed to know about how to be a productive adult.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:25 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,404,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
So you are willing to let them live off of you until they save for their own home? Your 20's should be about getting a plan and going through some highs and lows. Learning life skills and problem-solving.
What in the world is wrong with an apartment?? Or roommates? Or living alone in an efficiency to learn independence?
I adore my grown kids, but I am loving this time alone with my husband. I wouldn't trade it for anything because I know we gave our kids the tools to be independent...and they are. It's our turn now to be a couple again.
Not to mention, some people don't want to be homeowners, and prefer living in rented apartments.

Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with living at home and saving up for a house. As long as that person is working and/or making money somehow, and being independent.

Last edited by NewYorker11356; 08-02-2017 at 08:42 PM..

Old 08-02-2017, 08:47 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,077 times
alot of us millenials dont see the point in getting married these days.

60 years ago, you were supposed to stay married no matter what. now people know they can just burn through every relationship and not be shunned by society.

moving out though?

thats another story.

my parents are baby boomers, and when they got their first apartments....i'll just say they had a leg up on bills and society. its not like that for us because everything is so high now that you pretty much need a small loan from your parents.

theres no more money left over once you pay bills like there used to be in the 70s.

its a cryin shame.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:09 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
I'm a millennial and lived at home until I was 22. I have been working FT since high school, have taken a few semesters of college, and completed a few certification programs. I worked hard to get to my current position at a wonderful company that compensates 'livable wages'. Many others still struggle working FT, waitressing on the side, and barely able to make rent car payments insurance food utilities. We weren't offered a class on how to make it financially in the real world. That should be a required class; learning checkbooks, mortgages, basic cooking/ laundry skills. I don't push blame but without proper tools how can we expect anyone to thrive?
Parents should be teaching this themselves and modeling good behavior. They taught you to brush your teeth, right? Then they should have taught something about money management.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:22 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,862,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Parents should be teaching this themselves and modeling good behavior. They taught you to brush your teeth, right? Then they should have taught something about money management.
Haha, no-- none of them are brushing their teeth or wearing clean underwear, they'll need a small loan, thank you.
Sheesh. Too annoying to even read anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events