Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 01:44 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
If anyone has any interested photos of the eclipse, could you post them up here?
Sadly I didn't get a chance to setup my 300mm lens with a sun filter (sigh)

Here's a kewl image of the next landfall eclipses coming up:

It shows you how rare they truly are. I plan on being in east Texas for the next one, video equipment ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 01:58 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Very cloudy here, couldn't see anything - didn't even reach full darkness.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:59 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Very cloudy here, couldn't see anything - didn't even reach full darkness.
Where is "Here"

In LA we got about 60% and it felt exactly like when we had the station fire. Everything went eerily orange.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:28 PM

457 posts, read 496,845 times
We got totality here in middle TN. I know Nashville had a big cloud roll in right before totality...I'm a little east of there.......my view was glorious.

The whole pre totality amount of light was pretty eerie.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:31 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
It sadly was cloudy in Chicago, and it didn't get that dark at the point where totality was heading through Illinois(Carbondale, IL being close to the central-most point where it got the most dark). IIRC, something I read said Chicago was supposed to have 87% being in the path of totality, but it didn't seem that dark to me. I briefly debated doing an Amtrak trip south to Carbondale or say like Saint Louis, but ruled it out after seeing how high fares were getting and/or seeing sold out trains(in the case of Carbondale).

I decided after I ruled out doing a trip to see the 2017 eclipse, that I may make a more serious attempt to either see the 2024 eclipse in either Carbondale or Indianapolis. In case that doesn't work out, I'm glad I did see a partial eclipse in the mid-1990s, while I was in school sometime between 6th-8th grade. That school was nice enough, to let all of us stand outside to see the partial eclipse when it was happening. Although looking back, I found it odd they didn't give us glasses while it was occurring.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:19 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Truly an earth shattering- breath taking - amazing event.

MrsM and I were able to hook up with 5 busloads of astronomers from all over the world. This was sponsored by Boise State University. We were up at 3AM boarded buses to Weiser, ID and we had the Weiser High School track as our base.

Astronomers from NASA, MIT, Cal-Tech, Woods Hole etc. What an honor to accompany this group as a know-nothing tourist

They were hooting and hollering when we saw the black shadow screaming down the mountain toward us. Then totality.The Diamond Ring effect.

People were crying, kissing, jumping up and down.

My pictures were nowhere near the professionals, but I took them. We were there what a great cap to ur 50th Anniversary vacation

Old 08-21-2017, 11:03 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,739,096 times
We had excellent, clear skies in Midvale ID, just north of Weiser.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:52 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Wow, Mike, that's so cool! I hope you'll upload some of your pictures...

And sincere Congratulations to you and Mrs. Mike, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Truly an earth shattering- breath taking - amazing event.

MrsM and I were able to hook up with 5 busloads of astronomers from all over the world. This was sponsored by Boise State University. We were up at 3AM boarded buses to Weiser, ID and we had the Weiser High School track as our base.

Astronomers from NASA, MIT, Cal-Tech, Woods Hole etc. What an honor to accompany this group as a know-nothing tourist

They were hooting and hollering when we saw the black shadow screaming down the mountain toward us. Then totality.The Diamond Ring effect.

People were crying, kissing, jumping up and down.

My pictures were nowhere near the professionals, but I took them. We were there what a great cap to ur 50th Anniversary vacation

Old 08-22-2017, 12:26 AM

14,772 posts, read 8,103,690 times
I didn't take any pics...but it was amazing!

Old 08-22-2017, 07:02 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Default It was well worth it!

Where I live was very close to totality and there was no way that I was going to miss seeing it. My niece, her boyfriend, my best friend, my husband and I all got in the car and drove about 30 minutes south so that we could be in the center of the path of totality. It lasted for supposedly 2 min and 48 sec. I didn't time it, but that's what every website was reporting.

It was very much worth the trip. Everyone was saying that it was going to be "soul crushing" traffic and that all the stores would be out of everything and that the gas stations would run out of gas. No such thing happened. Driving to our destination didn't take much longer than it does on a normal day in the summer, when we have a lot of tourists.

My best friend took this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
A solar eclipse is coming to America. Here’s what you’ll see where you live.-total-eclipse.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events