Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:59 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,210 times

Advertisements

A solar eclipse is coming to America. Here’s what you’ll see where you live.-solar-eclipse-three-days-crazy-cooksville

then again, maybe not...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 07:26 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,875,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I will have a field open for people to park in the upstate of SC, if anyone is interested. Its an open field and should provide a good view. If anyone is interested PM me to get details.

(Mods, if I'm breaking a rule here, please delete.)
Due to a family emergency, I wont be able to do this. If you will check out the Greenville SC forum, youll find tons of places in the upstate to view the eclipse here.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
We are traveling to closer to a good sighting spot. It should be awesome.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:46 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,738,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here in northeast Texas we will get a partial eclipse of about 80 percent - still cool.

Here's another good site where you just put in your zip code for the times and amounts of solar eclipse action you will get wherever you are on that day.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...nteractive-map
Very cool site, thank you Kathryn. Simple, straightforward, and no need to convert UTC to your time zone.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 AM

Default Eclipse Viewing -- Wildfires Currently in OR, ID, & WY; 2017-08-21 Total Solar Eclipse

Besides clouds and weather, wildfires and smoke may affect your eclipse viewing. Here are a couple of sites showing current, updated national maps and data.

The map at GeoMAC.gov by the USGS gives the fire names and is easy to zoom in on. With the fire name you can search for news on it. Near the eclipse path of totality, today the map shows fires in Oregon, Idaho, and Wyoming.

The map at NWCG.gov, the National Wildfire Coordinating Group, shows current large fires -- as of today there are large fires in Idaho and Oregon along the eclipse umbral path. Today, there are 22 uncontained large fires.

The listing at NIFC.gov, the National Interagency Fire Center lists the locations of the fires -- e.g., the Powerline Fire is 20 miles southwest of Pocatello, ID.

Let's hope for clear skies for this eclipse.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:14 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Besides clouds and weather, wildfires and smoke may affect your eclipse viewing. Here are a couple of sites showing current, updated national maps and data.

The map at GeoMAC.gov by the USGS gives the fire names and is easy to zoom in on. With the fire name you can search for news on it. Near the eclipse path of totality, today the map shows fires in Oregon, Idaho, and Wyoming.

The map at NWCG.gov, the National Wildfire Coordinating Group, shows current large fires -- as of today there are large fires in Idaho and Oregon along the eclipse umbral path. Today, there are 22 uncontained large fires.

The listing at NIFC.gov, the National Interagency Fire Center lists the locations of the fires -- e.g., the Powerline Fire is 20 miles southwest of Pocatello, ID.

Let's hope for clear skies for this eclipse.
Here is a good map of fire and smoke conditions. If you are concerned about smoke affecting your eclipse viewing, I would head to Casper Wyoming. No fires anywhere in Wyoming and good air quality. Of course that could change in the next week, but that looks like it will be the best viewing location.

PNW Smoke Map

Old 08-16-2017, 07:31 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
I have to be in Ohio for a funeral service, leaving on the 20th. I had been thinking of driving to my daughter's home in Augusta, GA before coming home to Maryland, so I could experience the total eclipse, but then I though about the number of people driving into the "zone" the day before and leaving the "zone" the day after, and I figured the experience of the drive is not what I would like to share. I could see the traffic getting so bad that many people will never even get to the "zone".

If I could drive down several days before, I would consider it, since I would have a place to stay.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:15 AM

I think many people will leave the zone on Monday, the day of the eclipse -- maybe soon after totality ends, assuming they've seen the partial phase leading up to totality. Why stay to watch the waxing partial eclipse when you saw the waning part earlier? I doubt I will. I will want to head out. Maybe some will wait, to let the traffic die down.

The eclipse will end, totality and the end of the partial phase, at about these times in these locations:

(times approximate, according to https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...nteractive-map)

10:20am / 11:40am Pacific time in Oregon (Salem, 97301)
11:30am / 1:00pm Mountain time in Idaho (Idaho Falls, 83401)
11:45am / 1:10pm Mountain time in Wyoming (Casper, 82601)
1:20pm / 2:45pm Central time in Missouri (St. Louis, 63101)
1:30pm / 2:55pm Central time in Tennessee (Nashville, 37013)
2:45pm / 4:05pm Eastern time in South Carolina (Columbia, 29061)

Old 08-16-2017, 10:52 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
What's scary are phony glasses to observe the eclipse that are floating around.

Guarantee there will be reports online of people damaging their eyes due to these glasses next week.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:18 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,129 times
I was gonna get some glasses but I am scared I might end up with a pair of the fake glasses. I will just try to watch it online if I am on my lunch break when it passes over my city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events