Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 12:13 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times

Advertisements

I would accept a chip that verifies my identity, health or health insurance or whatever but not for my employer, no way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
While I agree with the overall sentiments of everyone here, you may wish to put a bit more thought into the concepts of privacy, tracking, and scanning.

How many of you here have a smart phone? That does have GPS, and even if you disable it, it can be remotely turned on. It's never really off. It also has a camera (usually two) and a microphone. Yet many people I know can't be without their phones. Bring them into their bedrooms at night. Have sex or intimate conversations with the stupid phone right next to them. These things can be and are used to track people, for advertising if nothing else.

Do you have one of those Amazon Echo things? ("Alexa, reorder coffee! "). Those things record and transmit everything said in your household. Law Enforcement now coniders them evidence. Have a TV that responds to voice commands? Same deal. You even have to be careful what your CAR is recording! Have car wifi? Yikes!

Those little chips implanted in your hand are quite tame in comparison to your electronics. I just scratch my head... people who are horrified at the idea of a chip, will gladly traipse around all over tarnation with a smart phone, being tracked, listened to, photographed -- and consider themselves to be free of being "tracked"! You go figure!

I agree with you.

Many people are naive.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:23 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
I agree with you.

Many people are naive.
I don't think they are naive, I think they just DON'T CARE enough to fully understand the ramifications. They don't view privacy as something to protect, so they tap tap tap away, and just move on to next new shiny thing.

Apathy. It's real and it's dangerous. But they will never believe it.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
I agree with you.

Many people are naive.
It takes about 2 seconds to drop and walk away from any smart phone. Hell you don't NEED a smart phone.
If a person decides they want to be microchipped like property go ahead. I'm simply stating I will not do it.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It takes about 2 seconds to drop and walk away from any smart phone. Hell you don't NEED a smart phone.
If a person decides they want to be microchipped like property go ahead. I'm simply stating I will not do it.
We are being watched/listened to via phone, computer, t.v., all kind of electronics. Cameras galore. Besides electronics do people even think about how many others have access to personal info banks, medical, DMV, etc, Forget about privacy rights it was taken away a long time ago.

With rampant identity theft, terrorism, crime whatever, we will come up with a most likely invasive way to keep things/us organized.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:57 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
Some people's Big Brother is fetus in fetu. They've internalized the mechanisms of control.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:19 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Quote:
We are being watched/listened to via phone, computer, t.v., all kind of electronics. Cameras galore. Besides electronics do people even think about how many others have access to personal info banks, medical, DMV, etc, Forget about privacy rights it was taken away a long time ago.
If you don't understand that there's a HUGE difference between having a microchip implanted in your body vs. being monitored by electronic devices (which in some cases you can easily walk away from), then go ahead & have that microchip implanted in you. I will never allow anyone to do this to me.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 08-10-2017 at 01:31 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 01:46 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Somewhere, all the information that's liked to your ID chip, has to be stored on a server. Those servers are hackable and vulnerable. No thanks!

Old 08-10-2017, 08:55 PM

4,969 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Default Big Brother is Here

Other uses of this chip could be to monitor employees, how they work, who they are with, where they go both on the job and after hours. Good deal for the company. What's in it for the workers? Oh, that's right, they had a party. So that makes it all good.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:29 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:

With rampant identity theft, terrorism, crime whatever, we will come up with a most likely invasive way to keep things/us organized.
Yeah I understand that today there are plenty of means to track a person. AND you can walk away or not have most of those things. So why add to the plethora of surveillance that is already used/done. Hell you UBER and they track you after the ride ended. Didn't they get in trouble for that? See that's what's hilarious. You got people SCREAMING "you're invading my privacy" yet have no problem letting/using Facebook, UBER, my space, and any social media to practically have their lives as a open book online to complete strangers.
Take your SS number. It's not even supposed to be used for identification purposes. It was actually printed on the cards. But they figured it's a good system so they started using the number for ID. If I go to a first aid type clinic (we have random drug testing) I scribble a backwards SS number. I dint give my SS number to every form that "requires it". Sure important powers for employment or taxes is one thing. But some clinic or some office screw that. They can eat it. They do not need they info. And they don't get it.
The few times in my life I had to fill out a application I put a fake SS number. If I don't get hired they got bs address and SS number. If I get hired I have to fill out forms so I put the correct info.

I have a Facebook page. I used it once to talk to my buddy who just had a baby and I couldn't be there and FaceTime wasn't available. Other than that I could give a f less about Facebook or social media
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events