Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 05:13 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
How warm and dry is the baby if the temp is running in the teens? I know my car parked in shelter overnight is pretty cold when I go to start it in the A.M. I surely wouldn't want to sit in it for eight hours in a parking lot.
We are talking generally about things that happen during the day. So, the kid's bundled up, and the sun warms the car like a greenhouse--that's survivable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 05:30 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,022 times
Sad story. But, I can't for the life of me understand how someone forgets a child in the backseat of a car.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:30 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
Until they come up with some sort of safety mechanism the best advice is to leave your purse, phone, or wallet in the backseat with the kid. Sad.
Already done...

This 11-year-old Texas boy invented a device to prevent hot car deaths - CBS News

Old 08-06-2017, 06:32 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post

There have been numerous devices invented just for this situation but no company would manufacture it because of the enormous liability.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:33 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,665 times
Horrific. My thoughts are with the family.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:50 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
No. Never. I can't accept any excuse. My kids were my LIFE. I knew where they both were every minute of the day.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:30 PM

603 posts, read 445,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
There have been numerous devices invented just for this situation but no company would manufacture it because of the enormous liability.

Why would a car safety device specific to forgetting your child be any different from the countless safety devices already in place for many vehicles? Low tire pressure, vehicle door ajar, seat belt signal, airbags, back up camera etc?

Old 08-06-2017, 11:28 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,585,831 times
If small children weren't required to be in the backseat, these deaths wouldn't occur. In their zeal to mandate self-protective devices and practices, the lawmakers sometimes make things more dangerous.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:56 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,484 times
I can definitely see how this sort of thing can happen. I can relate for reasons that may seem strange. No I've never done this sort of thing, not even the "MY BABY!" story the person told in a previous post, other than maybe for a few minute at home not knowing where my child was at that exact moment (figuring they were playing outdoors), but other things have happened to where you are, in my mind, "punished" just for not being perfect.

Nine days ago my best camera, which cost about $500, was ruined because I was exploring a river and it had rocks with slick moss. No, it didn't fall in when I fell, prior to that I removed the camera and put it to the side SPECIFICALLY so as to avoid that very thing from happening. I put it on the edge but I thought it was secure enough, however I couldn't put it further away from the edge because there was bushes etc there and I'd lost it. It somehow made its way into the river and fell in--despite my best efforts, it happened anyway.

Then, just yesterday, I put my cell phone in my back pocket while mowing grass, I NEVER put my phone in my back pocket, but that one time I did and while going backwards I tripped on a sandbox which was full of water (why was a sandbox full of water) and I landed on my rump which meant my phone went right into the water. The ONE TIME I put my phone in my back pocket (which again I NEVER do), that happens, and only 9 days after the camera thing.

Both events have left me furious and saying "gee whiz, what more do I have to do?" It also leaves me feeling frustrated in terms of that it seems as if you can't relax for one single solitary second of you life, you have to be on 24/7 "prison watch" duty or else things happen, and frankly I think that's ridiculous. NO WAY can you maintain that stance (those people who say "I knew where my kids were every minute," oh please, I'm not buying that). However I just can't accept that, well, sometimes in spite of your reasonable best efforts, thinks just happen. If you make reasonable efforts, these things should NEVER happen, those things should just fall into place GUARANTEED because you did your reasonable best and that should be enough to GUARANTEE that NOTHING will EVER go wrong, not even 1 time in 80,321 years, EVER, and that goes 80 times more than that for a child dying. It is RIDICULOUS that you would have to even TRY to maintain that type of "24/7 prison watch" stance. That's a bum deal in terms of life working that way, that's just not fair in my opinion.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:02 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
I'll bet that before this,Gramma, too, would have said "That would never happen to me"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events