Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:40 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times

Advertisements

Put both shoes, plus your purse and/ or cell phone in the back seat! Is that so HARD? It works!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 10:13 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Put both shoes, plus your purse and/ or cell phone in the back seat! Is that so HARD? It works!

Now you're going to be stuck outside your car with no shoes, no cell phone AND a baby that's overheating!

Old 08-14-2017, 08:44 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Because that happens rather regularly. Read that now iconic Washington Post article about just this thing. People's minds wander, they think they've done something because they have a memory doing it yesterday and last week. Oftentimes it's something innocuous like putting on deodorant or closing the garage door, and sometimes it leads to tragedy like this.
Also, remember these car seats are turned around too. I can't see my kid from the front seat, all I can see is the back of the car seat. This is definitely terrible to hear, but I could imagine it happening on accident.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:48 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But how do you forget to take a child, who's in your car, to daycare? She didn't forget to go at the end of the day to pick the child up. How do you put a child in your car, then forget where you're going with the child?

Why do we always have people saying this when these tragic stories happen every summer? So annoying.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:34 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
I just can't excuse this sort of thing, child or pet. Make the offense a mandatory prison sentence in some hot as hell prison in a desert somewhere. Geeze.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:56 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post

I just can't excuse this sort of thing, child or pet. Make the offense a mandatory prison sentence in some hot as hell prison in a desert somewhere. Geeze.
Have you ever thought you did something, but actually forgot to do it? Of course you have. You just feel superior because you were lucky enough that a child wasn't involved.

Most people go through their mornings on automatic pilot. Mornings are usually the most stressful part of the day for families trying to get everyone fed, dressed, and out the door to work and get kids to daycare/school. Additional stress, pressure from the job, or a change in schedule can throw off anyone's memory.

I don't have children, so I have not been in the position of this grandmother. But I can imagine how easily it could happen and I would be suicidal over it.

If we had an anonymous poll, I'm sure we'd find a substantial number of parents have accidentally left a child behind or have come damn close. Their stories just don't make the news because they had a better outcome.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:10 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

No, because with electronic devices it's something you'll ALWAYS have. So if you do forget it, you'll figure it out in the next couple minutes. I think people do leave those things in the car, but in 10 minutes they realize it.

At work, people don't encounter their children so they don't realize they're still in the car.

You rarely see a responsible sober adult leave a child in the car at home. Because if they did, pretty quickly they'd think hey where's the baby, and then oh no still in the car!
That is exactly how it happens.

If you're driving along with a quiet baby and your mind is on a million things you need to get done (typical morning thoughts), walking into the office isn't a prompt to remember because you have no expectation of seeing your baby in the office.

Your day just feels normal.

When you think of your baby, you think of them being at daycare. You would have to actually remember not dropping them off and that's not how a distracted brain works.

As I said above, people are on automatic pilot in the morning.

My parents didn't have to worry about this because our mom stayed home with us until she went back to work when I was in high school. That was the norm at the time. I'm never surprised that we hear these stories all the time now. Parents of young children are pulled in more directions today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events