Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:01 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

I do believe that age, and thus maturity, should be taken into account, but even then she bears responsibility. We put teen murderers in lock-up all the time.

Joining a terrorist organization with a well known reputation for extreme crimes against humanity (not just normal war activities, but torture, beheadings, suicide bombing of innocents, etc.) shows a tacit acceptance of such methods. Sadly, she may just be naive, but she is dangerously naive to a level that precludes her future freedom in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:26 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
poor decision making. crying for the cameras because she's been caught. Germany is in talks to bring her home but there has to be accountability IMO.
She'll make an excellent aide-de-camp for Angela.

Hashtag bring our girls home. Maybe Moochelle can twitter about this and help out some more.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:48 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
In response to the poster who asked me in a rep comment how much I believe teenagers are aware of current events/watch the news:

I do agree that teenagers are less well informed, in general, but ignorance of the existence of terrorism and its origins, especially in a region that has been severely impacted by terrorism, refugees, etc. is a stretch to say the least.

It is a sad fact that watching videos of ISIS beheadings is a popular past time among high school students. Social media and the internet in general have provided a platform for all sorts of information dispersal to the general public and it is naive to think that high school aged students, especially in Europe, are oblivious to ISIS and its connection to the current terrorist threat.

I suppose in an infinite universe there is a possibility that this girl thought that ISIS was a hippie cult and she was going to the Middle East to sing kumbayah and eat falafel while sitting criss-cross applesauce on a trippy rug, but that's not where I would put my money.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:53 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
45 years ago she'd be one of the Manson girls.
She would be like Patty Hearst, suffering Stockholm syndrome.
Patty Hearst received sympathy for her participation in a terrorist organization. Why should this German girl be treated differently?

Old 08-11-2017, 11:55 AM

56 posts, read 46,962 times
Quote:
I just hope that the United States put her on the No-Fly list to the U.S. for the rest of her life.
Indeed!

Old 08-11-2017, 12:01 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
She would be like Patty Hearst, suffering Stockholm syndrome.
Patty Hearst received sympathy for her participation in a terrorist organization. Why should this German girl be treated differently?
That's a good point. Also, the article, or someone here said, the girls were subject to beatings and whippings if they didn't cooperate. I don't understand why people don't think she's suffered enough, and want to pile on more punishment. Do they think that being raped repeatedly at 15 is a walk in the park? To require further punishment would be sadistic. This girl need trauma therapy, and even before she left home, she needed counseling for the family turmoil she was going through or had been through.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
a lot of excuses being puffed around on her behalf. "she was just young". "she was brainwashed". "maybe she had a bad home life" bla bla there's GOT to be a minimum of accountability. It was rumored she was a sniper. What if this was true?
She was found with other women who were wearing suicide vests. That doesn't bode well for her, however it's quite possible that she has been in survival mode for a couple of years - doing whatever it took to remain alive and as high up on the food chain as possible. I don't think she should be executed for whatever she did. She's a child, and can still be a productive, contributing member of a normal society. Ten years in a German prison will sort her out.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's a good point. Also, the article, or someone here said, the girls were subject to beatings and whippings if they didn't cooperate. I don't understand why people don't think she's suffered enough, and want to pile on more punishment. Do they think that being raped repeatedly at 15 is a walk in the park? To require further punishment would be sadistic. This girl need trauma therapy, and even before she left home, she needed counseling for the family turmoil she was going through or had been through.
According to the linked article, she was one of the women who delivered the whippings and beatings to women who did not comply with ISIS rules. Still, it's no different than Patty Hearst, who also fully participated in terrorist activities.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:18 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
I can't for the life of me understand why millennials get such a bad rep....

German girl faces execution for joining ISIS in Mosul | Daily Mail Online
generalizing is so useful

Old 08-11-2017, 12:32 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
In my short time here at this forum...I feel that some posters' extremely strong believe/hatred in certain socio-political ideologies borders on delusional disorder where their sense of reality is literally warped so much that they can't help but respond with so ridiculous statements that everyone but them can see is completely insane.

Hey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events