Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 05:07 AM

3,915 posts, read 4,571,554 times

Advertisements

I'd do it, but I don't live in SF... I'd have to decline on the pedicures. I love GoT! I'm allergic to dogs,but that's what Benadryl is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 05:51 AM

6,584 posts, read 8,450,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
True, and when I said 'it's not a joke' I meant that it is really an ad, the article was not something you would find on the onion. Whether the person running the ad is serious or just having fun...I dunno

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ofc/6256376954.html
I feel like a lot of it is tongue in cheek. And if someone doesn't get it, they likely aren't the right fit to be a personal assistant to this couple. It actually isn't a pretty bad schedule. From the CL posting:

TYPICAL SCHEDULE:
----------------------

Mon - Fri
- 10am - 11am = dog time (feeding, brushing, walking, washing, play with, teach tricks, take photos)
- 11am - 12pm = cleaning home (dishes, laundry, vacuum, dusting, wiping down countertops, clean up rare dog accident, etc.)
- 12pm - 1pm = improving look, ambiance & functionality of home (reorganizing cabinets, refreshing flowers, etc.)
- 1pm - 3pm = run errands (dry cleaning, tailor, groceries, clothes shopping, dog store, picking up Rx, stop by the office, etc.)
- 3 pm - 6 pm = on your computer/phone (investment research, post on our social media for us, planning a trip, ordering things online, scheduling an appointment, organizing receipts & other bookkeeping, taking notes while listening in on a meeting or call, cooking us dinner, food prep for the dog, book us dinner reservations or schedule our "date nights", etc.)

Sat or Sun
- Take the dog for a long walk or romp at the park before dropping him off at the dog groomer for a wash and blow out
- Sometimes you may need to help us with something over the weekend

Old 08-10-2017, 06:45 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,951,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
So....basically what butlers and servants have done for rich people (old-style rich people) for centuries. But spelled out more than usual.
Basically what I was thinking as well. Although, the butler or main servant usually would have a supporting staff to accomplish running a 'full service household' operation.

Or, this is a 'tongue-in-cheek' kindof public message of sorts. We sure do live in interesting times.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:10 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,605,257 times
Nothing to see here. It's a personal assistant job and many wealthy people have personal assistants to go along with chefs, trainers, nannies, etc...

Old 08-10-2017, 08:14 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,754,330 times
Maybe $2,500.00 per week would work.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:23 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,079,760 times
If money were no object for me, I'd pay someone to wash and groom my hair too. It's so damn relaxing.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:37 AM

910 posts, read 1,089,105 times
My problem with this is they are really underpaying. San Francisco is one of the most expensive housing markets in the U.S. That alone would require a much higher salary. They are basically offering minimum wage.

Yes there are butlers, but most get paid way more than this. My mother in law worked as a cleaning lady for a very wealthy family some years ago. Even back then she was paid 45k a year. That works out to $21.63 an hour. All she was required to do was clean the home, nothing else. There was a butler who earned 65k a year, or $31.25 an hour, and he ran the household. They also employed a gardener, 2 personal assistants, and a cook. My Mother in Law didn't know what the others earned, she really only interacted with the butler.

This couple wants a person to basically wear all of those hats. They should be offering what the standard rate for an executive assistant runs in their area. Looking at job websites, I can see job offerings for 80k to 90k a year.

The other problem they are going to run into, is the job posting seems to violate disability employment laws. By requiring potential job applicants to have a certain body type, they are opening themselves up to potential lawsuits. Yes some jobs require you be able to lift certain amounts of weight, but it is listed as "must be able to carry 50 lbs", not, "must look like Vin Diesel". Also, the add implies that you must be physically attractive to work for them. Again, you can't discriminate like that.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:37 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,886,232 times
I'll swim with the dog.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:50 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,814,732 times
Well, they've actually changed the pay since there's so much interest. It's now $15-$35 an hour vs $25-$30. Love how they broadened the range. Who the crap would do all that for $15 an hour??

Better yet, who would read through the entire ad? I'm usually not one of the people piping up with "TLDR" but in this case... no thanks. Yeesh.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:55 AM

26,204 posts, read 21,698,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
My problem with this is they are really underpaying. San Francisco is one of the most expensive housing markets in the U.S. That alone would require a much higher salary. They are basically offering minimum wage.

Yes there are butlers, but most get paid way more than this. My mother in law worked as a cleaning lady for a very wealthy family some years ago. Even back then she was paid 45k a year. That works out to $21.63 an hour. All she was required to do was clean the home, nothing else. There was a butler who earned 65k a year, or $31.25 an hour, and he ran the household. They also employed a gardener, 2 personal assistants, and a cook. My Mother in Law didn't know what the others earned, she really only interacted with the butler.

This couple wants a person to basically wear all of those hats. They should be offering what the standard rate for an executive assistant runs in their area. Looking at job websites, I can see job offerings for 80k to 90k a year.

The other problem they are going to run into, is the job posting seems to violate disability employment laws. By requiring potential job applicants to have a certain body type, they are opening themselves up to potential lawsuits. Yes some jobs require you be able to lift certain amounts of weight, but it is listed as "must be able to carry 50 lbs", not, "must look like Vin Diesel". Also, the add implies that you must be physically attractive to work for them. Again, you can't discriminate like that.

Median hh income in San Fran is high 70s so this certainly isn't min wage, two people in a hh working a full time 25/hr job would put you well above median
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events