Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 02:22 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
My friend died of a heroin overdose about 20 years ago. He had not used it for 15 years and seem to be doing good. One night he was with his friends and got the heroin. Whether it was bad or he used too much, he was in the living room clutching his chest, like a heart attack. The friends panicked. Instead of calling 911, they put him in his car (I guess they had drugs in the house) They left him in the car and he died. Had they called 911, maybe they could have saved him. I used to think Heroin was a 70's thing but now it has gone full blown.
Heroin is much older than that. Watch The Man with the Golden Arm, it's a movie from 1955. Frank Sinatra plays a junkie trying to go straight, but he can't kick the monkey off his back. He watched an addict go through withdrawal as a way to prepare for the role, because in one scene his character goes through it. Ray Charles also used heroin. Boy George used it too, and thankfully he's going to be 10 years clean from all drugs next March, and his career is on the up-swing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 02:38 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Very tragic. Anyone who even tries heroin once is an idiot- period. That doesn't mean they deserve to die, but it does mean they are stupid.

People who try heroin aren't necessarily stupid. Fentanyl is a pharmaceutical product. Most users become addicted while taking legal prescription drugs that contain opioids and other highly addictive substances. Repeat users are a big part of their business, but the producers of these drugs will never admit it. Which is why big pharma spends billions advertising these drugs on TV and saturating the airwaves. The pharmaceutical industry are the biggest dope pushers of all.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:26 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
Hmm. My thought there is that if anyone has an issue with someone addressing the heroin crisis that is sweeping this country especially when it's from personal experience because no non-white victims are mentioned or focused on well that's their racist problem.
I personally wouldn't be any more interested in this story if the heroin addict who had five prior overdoses hadn't been white, so it's not my racist problem. I'm not interested either way.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:28 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Pot also has a lot of medical uses, there's a reason it is becoming legal in many states for this reason. Cancer patients among others are getting big relief from using it. I'm not a user myself but I understand the benefits while totally understanding how it is more often misused.

Please do not lump it in with LSD, heroin etc because it's not even close to the same thing.
May not be, but Pot really is a gateway drug. I have had cousins and friends lose their lives on Cocaine and Heroin, and it always started with pot. Even though I voted for the legalization of it in my state I know the downside too.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:45 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
Mom shares picture of Elaina Towery just before she died | Daily Mail Online

Very sad and tragic. What I don't get is why dealers put such lethal stuff in their product. Don't they want to make money? Seems like killing your customers would be the last thing you want.
This fentanyl thing, idk. The hospital gave me that stuff when I landed in the trauma center after my bad leg collapsed. I was in bad shape and the issue was obvious. The doctor told me they were going to use it and warned me how strong it is and that I probably wouldn't be to coherent for a while. The nurse reiterated when she administered it.

Didn't phase me. I remained alert as could be considering, and the doctor was rather taken aback. This is supposed to be THE strongest pain killer. A few hours later when I was still quite in pain they gave me dalaudid. That knocked me loopy and I fell asleep. Woke up when they came in to take me to emergency surgery.

They tried the fentanyl again after surgery. No effect. Went back to dilaudid, happy trails to me. Fentanyl is supposed to be like 5 times stronger than dilaudid, or morphine or demerol etc. But it doesn't work on me. Other people I've talked to, including my nurse friends and other patients all said the stuff knocks them goofy.

It sure does have a reputation. Dangerous stuff. I suppose for me it would be more so if I were inclined to abuse of pain medication. The systemic effects on heart rate, blood pressure, respiration have to still be tbere. But it has no pain relieving , drowsiness etc effects usually associated with IV narcotics on me. Nobody can figure as to why. Oral dilaudid or oxycodone even in lighter doses works but even IV fentanyl has no discernable effect.

The stuff sure is becoming a factor in OD deaths out there. Heroin is laced with it and that just can't be a good combination. I guess it is for drug abusers because of the high. But combining two big guns narcotics like that sounds like a chemistry experiment gone horribly wrong. People who are hooked on a combination like that must have miserable caricatures of a life. Trying to do something that resembles functioning in a semi concious state. If they don't end up OD'd they'll burn down their house because they forgot they even put something on the stove or something such.

Shame is there's nothing to be done. The tighter the feds try and crack down on things the worse the street drug problem gets. They've gone after doctors with a vengeance and even legitimate patients in serious pain are getting cut off at the knees. Things like cancer, bone diseases, chronic degenerative anything just don't respond to gutting it out, meditation, aroma pipe therapy and soft music , herb remedies and all this stuff. They hamstrung doctors but the street will always be there.

Another craziness. It seems that somebody has locoed America's waterhole. ...

Old 08-17-2017, 07:37 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
When will people stop doing drugs? Pot, coke, LSD, X, etc.

In regards to pot, don't give that non-sense it comes from the earth and it's good for you. Cocaine also comes from the earth via the leaves of Coca plants.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:18 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
How heartbreaking for her mother and anyone else who else loved her.

As for the whole racial '80s crack vs. '10s heroin situation...I think there are a few reasons for it.

For one thing, people don't usually die from an overdose of crack. In 2015, there were about 7,000 deaths from cocaine, and 4,500-5,000 of those deaths involved opioids -- so only 2,000 to 2,500 people died from cocaine overdoses alone.

In the same year, about 14,000 people died from heroin, and 32,000-33,000 people died from opiods (including heroin).

Crack destroys individuals, families and communities. It causes people to steal, and it causes violence. And people *do* die, sometimes. That said, a string of break-ins of people stealing in their communities to get money to buy crack isn't going to necessarily immediately be associated with crack. And it's just not going to get the same amount of attention as a 20-something dropping dead in a fast food restaurant bathroom.

Drugs like crack slowly destroy individuals, their families and their communities. They slowly cause health problems. But it's not quite the same as heroin, when a first-time user can stick a needle in their arm and be dead in minutes.

We are also much more educated about things like addiction now than we were in the 1980s.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-to...se-death-rates

Old 08-17-2017, 09:33 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
These forums also are a slice of our society. These folks who lack empathy are not that far removed from the a-hole who drove his Charger through that crowd of people. Not that far at all...
Yes, those of us who don't care if drug addicts die are prone to driving a car into an innocent group of people. Brilliant comparisonwhy didn't I think of that?

Personal responsibility? Ha that's for losers!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:40 PM

776 posts, read 394,530 times
Maybe it was better when we let teenagers smoke cigarettes and drink beer.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:15 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
The couple of times I've taken opioids orally, I also had to take something for nausea. If they don't stay down, they aren't going to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events