Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 11:39 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,215 times

Advertisements

"She's my only daughter, my best friend..."

Maybe you should have been her mother rather than her best freind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 11:57 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I am african american and I can understand what she means. Back in the 80's when crack cocaine ravaged the AA community , no one gave a flying flip. We screamed, pleaded, bargained for any help our community can get. Nothing. IN fact President Reagan famously called us "crack-ho's" and advocated locking users up as criminal.

So we are having a hard time when we see all the "empathy" for the now opiod addiction. How come they are not being portrayed as "herion-hoes". there are billboards up and down the highways about getting help for your addiction. Why does one drug addiction mean get help, while another addiction means throw them under the jail?

So for us, it's not nonsense. Yes I do have empathy but I'm not sure if you can understand my frustration. If some one like me has a daughter who od's off of crack, she is labeled a ghetto welfare crack ____, if my skin were another color it would be "heartbreaking".

I can understand your point of view.

It must be frustrating.

The place where I see some racially discriminative legislation and policy is in the criminal justice system.

There is no doubt that blacks are dealt with differently in sentencing.

One small quibble: Reagan may have said "crack hos". But, it was Bill Clinton, supported by Hillary "some black males are super predators" Clinton, who pushed for passage of and signed the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act in 1994. The Clintons have argued that both black politicians and community leaders backed the law, and in general supported increased law enforcement in order to help quell street violence destroying black communities. The Congressional Black Caucus has responded that the Clintons tell only half the story, and that the Act left out certain provisions that the black community wanted in the law.

"The Clinton administration knew that the criminal justice system was deeply unfair and biased against African Americans, and chose to expand that system."

--Elizabeth Hinton, assistant professor of history and African and African American studies

Old 08-19-2017, 08:12 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
One usually thinks this is a male thing and women are more mature so not as likely to get involved.
Neither gender is more mature than the other one, they just approach life differently. Now if we are talking about conformity then yes, women are far more conformist than men on average.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:25 AM

783 posts, read 576,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
I was pretty sure you weren't well read. Your post removes all doubt.
I'm "well read" enough to know that your post stating that people who don't fall down weeping for drug addicts who overdose are "not far removed" from murderers is fairly idiotic.

What is it with you people and making anyone who disagrees with you into the worst person in the world? No, the fact that I don't care about this girl doesn't put me in any way in proximity to the person who ran people over with their car in Charlottesville. It doesn't put me in proximity to Nazis either. Or dictators. Or serial killers. Or rapists. Or child molesters. It just mean that I don't care about drug addicts that overdose.

If you can't tell the difference, maybe you're the one who needs to become more "well read".

Old 08-20-2017, 10:10 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
I'm "well read" enough to know that your post stating that people who don't fall down weeping for drug addicts who overdose are "not far removed" from murderers is fairly idiotic.

What is it with you people and making anyone who disagrees with you into the worst person in the world? No, the fact that I don't care about this girl doesn't put me in any way in proximity to the person who ran people over with their car in Charlottesville. It doesn't put me in proximity to Nazis either. Or dictators. Or serial killers. Or rapists. Or child molesters. It just mean that I don't care about drug addicts that overdose.

If you can't tell the difference, maybe you're the one who needs to become more "well read".
I agree! For some reason, people here just can't handle it when others don't think like them. I don't experience this issue on any of the other forums that I frequent.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:02 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
I think people who first take hard drugs just to get high are just plain stupid.

BUT, I'll never say never to hard drugs for pain... I have a very low tolerance of pain and if I ever ended up in horrible chronic pain, I would never say I wouldn't do hard drugs for relief.

I'm talking about pain like labor pain only it never goes away. If YOU had to live with that 24/7, could you just do yoga, breathing exercises, meditation? I sure as hell couldn't.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:07 AM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Yes, because pain pills do nothing to treat pain. They simply make you high so you have a better day. People need to stop using pain pills as a crutch and find a way to solve their pain or find a better way to cope than pills.

I say this as a person with a debilitating disease who was addicted to pain pills...

You have no idea what you are talking about. I have been on Fentanyl Patch for 10 yrs a low dose. I suffer from horrible pain from RSD- Disc disease and Fibomyalgia. I have never felt "HIGH" - what is does do is go right to my leg where I have most of the pain. It gives me quality of life so I can do a little gardening and keep my house up. I have NEVER gotten an Euphoria feeling from my medication EVER.

Crutch you say? Really? I dare you to look up RSD and then go look up the McGill Pain index Never mind, just did it for you McGILL Pain Index and CRPS or RSD - American RSDHope

We are heading down a slippery slope due to people saying rotten things- not really understanding true- severe pain. Very disheartening.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:18 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Yes, because pain pills do nothing to treat pain. They simply make you high so you have a better day. People need to stop using pain pills as a crutch and find a way to solve their pain or find a better way to cope than pills.

I say this as a person with a debilitating disease who was addicted to pain pills...
And what ways do you suggests? Instead of sitting on your high horse how about some ideas. Of course the former is easier.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:52 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
Mom shares picture of Elaina Towery just before she died | Daily Mail Online

Very sad and tragic. What I don't get is why dealers put such lethal stuff in their product. Don't they want to make money? Seems like killing your customers would be the last thing you want.
She shouldn't have been using heroin.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:41 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
She was 22 and had a 5 year old son which means she was pregnant at 17. It says she gave the kid up. It doesn't say when in relation to her 5 overdoses or if she was forced to do so.

She was a prostitute.

She overdosed 5 x, not counting her 6th and final time, within a 7 year period (first time addict in 2010) which means she was an addict when she was 15 and likely one when she had her baby.

The boyfriend abused her and she got prescription drugs and that's what got her hooked says the mother but she was an addict at 15 according to the math. Was the boyfriend abusing her then and did she get addictive prescription drugs when she was only 15? Where was her "best friend" then?

She went to 5 different treatment centers but neither the news story nor the mother says she completed the programs. Where was the abusive boyfriend after each of these times? It sounds like he might be in jail which means he's probably not the one who gave her drugs right before she died but who knows?

She pulled into Burger King with "a friend" to use the restroom and HE thought it was odd that she didn't come out after 20 TO 25 MINUTES. What did HE think she was doing in there? Did HE ask the Burger King employees to check on her or would he have sat there another 25 minutes thinking it odd?

When did she take the drugs this last time? News story doesn't address it.

Despite that someone apparently had the money to send her to 5 different treatment centers her mother put up a Go Fund Me page to get money for her funeral.

This 22 year old woman didn't die because of fentanyl. She died because she was a drug addict for 7 years. It would have been nice if the reporter got more than the word of mouth description of what happened from the mother by checking with the police, EMT, rehabs, courts, witness, etc., for the whole story.

The original story appeared here:

Mom of 22-year-old who died after OD has important warning - Story | WJBK

My beef is with the reporter not doing a thorough job which is very common these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events