Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 06:09 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
It's true that a lot of people try heroin by choice, but I also know that some people have it forcefully injected into them by criminals at social events like parties/raves/etc... By nature it is so addictive that even a single dosage like that can trigger withdrawal symptoms ... or so I've heard.
That's the new BS excuse suburban 'snowflake' females are telling their daddies to try to take responsibility away from them and their poor choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
My point is that addicts die every day and this story is no more tragic to me than any other story. No one would be posting a "heartbreaking" photo of a 35 year old man (of any race) with five prior overdoses and I doubt you'd empathize much with him.
Young, Caucasian females are the pit bulls of the addiction world- we all need to feel sorry for and make excuses for them, they're just misunderstood victims.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:12 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
I didn't even read the article and felt bad for her. Racists like you alwaaaaays have to bring race into the equation. We don't need your white guilt or BLM nonsense. Her ethnicity has nothing to do with empathy.
I am african american and I can understand what she means. Back in the 80's when crack cocaine ravaged the AA community , no one gave a flying flip. We screamed, pleaded, bargained for any help our community can get. Nothing. IN fact President Reagan famously called us "crack-ho's" and advocated locking users up as criminal.

So we are having a hard time when we see all the "empathy" for the now opiod addiction. How come they are not being portrayed as "herion-hoes". there are billboards up and down the highways about getting help for your addiction. Why does one drug addiction mean get help, while another addiction means throw them under the jail?

So for us, it's not nonsense. Yes I do have empathy but I'm not sure if you can understand my frustration. If some one like me has a daughter who od's off of crack, she is labeled a ghetto welfare crack ____, if my skin were another color it would be "heartbreaking".

Old 08-16-2017, 06:22 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Pot also has a lot of medical uses, there's a reason it is becoming legal in many states for this reason. Cancer patients among others are getting big relief from using it. I'm not a user myself but I understand the benefits while totally understanding how it is more often misused.

Please do not lump it in with LSD, heroin etc because it's not even close to the same thing.
You're right, LDS users often quit after experimenting several times because the high is so debilitating. There aren't many long-term LSD users.

Heroin is an highly addictive and will destroy your life slowly as you chase the high daily.
Marijuana is a highly addictive drug that will destroy your life slowly as you chase the high, it just takes longer for the effects to take hold. Smoking it ruins your lungs. Most long term pot users I know (in their 50's and 60's with 30+ years of daily smoking) can't even put sentences together. They're moody and combative when not high, they have a miriad of health issues. Don't tell me you think it's harmless, it's not.

I put it in the category of cigarettes or booze. A little bit more acceptable and less dangerous than heroin, but it's going to kill you, just at a slower rate.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:32 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I will never understand people who try drugs for the first time. And while it's sad for the families of people who die from drugs, I have little sympathy for the drug addict. They chose to do drugs, nobody held them down and forced them.

My son was 15 when he started experimenting before going full blown heroin addict. Once he was clean (and he has been for 5 years) he told me he thought he would be the person who wouldn't get addicted, that he "was stronger" than the drug. It's typical for a teenager and young person to feel they are invincible, that they won't be the one to die for an overdose or from texting while driving (our friend's daughter).

My son fell in with the wrong crowd, the kind that acts like altar boys to your face but Charles Manson behind your bath. If I only I knew then what I know now about drugs. I was so clueless.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Marijuana is a highly addictive drug that will destroy your life slowly as you chase the high, it just takes longer for the effects to take hold. Smoking it ruins your lungs. Most long term pot users I know (in their 50's and 60's with 30+ years of daily smoking) can't even put sentences together. They're moody and combative when not high, they have a miriad of health issues. Don't tell me you think it's harmless, it's not.
And I say this being a recreational marijuana smoker: The angriest people I know/known are/were daily pot smokers. That's why I use it as a 'treat.'

Old 08-16-2017, 06:35 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
It's true that a lot of people try heroin by choice, but I also know that some people have it forcefully injected into them by criminals at social events like parties/raves/etc... By nature it is so addictive that even a single dosage like that can trigger withdrawal symptoms ... or so I've heard.
Maybe so, but I suspect most addicts started of their own free will. Associating with known users is also stupid.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I am african american and I can understand what she means. Back in the 80's when crack cocaine ravaged the AA community , no one gave a flying flip. We screamed, pleaded, bargained for any help our community can get. Nothing. IN fact President Reagan famously called us "crack-ho's" and advocated locking users up as criminal.

So we are having a hard time when we see all the "empathy" for the now opiod addiction. How come they are not being portrayed as "herion-hoes". there are billboards up and down the highways about getting help for your addiction. Why does one drug addiction mean get help, while another addiction means throw them under the jail?

So for us, it's not nonsense. Yes I do have empathy but I'm not sure if you can understand my frustration. If some one like me has a daughter who od's off of crack, she is labeled a ghetto welfare crack ____, if my skin were another color it would be "heartbreaking".
I think you need to take a time out on the race baiting for a little while, go take a vacation, preferably away from the TV's where they actually make you believe this crap you're spewing.

There's far more many white crack-hoes out there than black. Whites are around 80% of the population after-all.

There's far more many white heroin addicts, far more many white men in prison, for more many white murderers, far more many white everything. That doesn't make it right or wrong, but you gotta stop believing that we are all a bunch of racists, just because your media outlets and universities are tell you that we are. It just ain't true.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:01 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
As long as our species exists we will have young people doing dangerous things for a thrill. It's never going to go away. No amount of education can change the fact that people will want more what they can't have, and that young people do dumb things. They want to "feel" everything and want to have a testosterone induced "thrill" whatever that might be. Then they get addicted.

Whether it's pot, alcohol, or harder stuff, anything to alter one's state of mind....

Old 08-16-2017, 07:01 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,251 times
It's only heartbreaking for her family and I feel sorry for them. However, she got what she deserved. I just can't feel sorry for someone who willingly does something they know can kill them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events