Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:09 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
LOL. I don't drink alcohol buddy so we can ban that too. Cigarettes too.. Anxiety can be alleviated via exercise, mediating, breathing exercises, etc.
Doing drugs is easier, then making any changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 08:11 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
With all the ridiculous hate going on in the country right now, why can't you pick your battles and stop looking for it everywhere?

I don't care what race you are, if you do drugs you deserve what you get, and I don't feel sorry for you (not you personally). This girl was white and I'm white, and I don't care. As far as I'm concerned, she was a crackho.
I don't think anyone is looking for a battle. I was simply pointing out that I didn't see anything spectacular or newsworthy about this story, and I felt like it was only being reported and called "heartbreaking" because she was a young, white woman. It doesn't mean that I'm seething with rage that others who overdose aren't also getting coverage. I'm just saying that I don't consider this any more heartbreaking than any other situation and if we can ignore those, I can also ignore this.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:13 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
You're right, LDS users often quit after experimenting several times because the high is so debilitating. There aren't many long-term LSD users.

Heroin is an highly addictive and will destroy your life slowly as you chase the high daily.
Marijuana is a highly addictive drug that will destroy your life slowly as you chase the high, it just takes longer for the effects to take hold. Smoking it ruins your lungs. Most long term pot users I know (in their 50's and 60's with 30+ years of daily smoking) can't even put sentences together. They're moody and combative when not high, they have a miriad of health issues. Don't tell me you think it's harmless, it's not.

I put it in the category of cigarettes or booze. A little bit more acceptable and less dangerous than heroin, but it's going to kill you, just at a slower rate.
Excellent post. Pot smokers won't agree however, as their brain doesn't work right.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
I'm guessing you've never bought a homeless person a meal. We are all one race, the human race. Showing compassion for a fellow human does not make you weak.
I really only like cats. Share some cat stories and I'll show my compassion.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:28 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Theres nothing wrong with marijuana and alcohol in moderation. Just because some people have addictive personalities and cannot delay gratification doesn't mean it should be banned. I balance occasional pot use with work and personal development work just fine. Someone who has an instant gratification type of personality will not get anywhere in life regardless. To get the long term big prize you often have to do things you don't want to do to get there which is something instant gratification types don't get.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:49 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I felt like it was only being reported and called "heartbreaking" because she was a young, white woman.
That is what I was talking about. If you truly don't care one way or the other because she's a druggie, why even bring it up?

Old 08-16-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That is what I was talking about. If you truly don't care one way or the other because she's a druggie, why even bring it up?
Those are just the thoughts I had when I read the article.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:17 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
It's certainly tragic for her loved ones, but I'm sorry to say it: would we even be discussing this if she hadn't been a 22 year old white female?
Why are YOU focused on her race, gender, age?

You don't fight racism, sexism and ageism by BEING those things.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Why are YOU focused on her race, gender, age?

You don't fight racism, sexism and ageism by BEING those things.
I was simply pointing out that if you change the gender, race, and age of the subject, not many people would care about this story. That is my personal opinion and you don't have to agree, but calling me a racist/ageist/sexist for pointing it out doesn't change my opinion.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I thought the same thing! Yes it's tragic, but educating our young on the affects of drugs is key in prevention!
Forget, friend. The train is already around the bend, and you are standing there left on the platform.

Prevention?

Start with the hard part: What is there about the society and culture of the country that is making drug use highly desirable to so many people that it has reached what are now considered epidemic proportions.

And skip the self-righteous, thrill-a-minute chest-thumping part about blaming dealers or doctors because that does not answer the above question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events