Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:43 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I was simply pointing out that if you change the gender, race, and age of the subject, not many people would care about this story. That is my personal opinion and you don't have to agree, but calling me a racist/ageist/sexist for pointing it out doesn't change my opinion.
I didn't call you a racist.
I didn't call you an ageist.
I didn't call you a sexist.

I was simply pointing out that you don't fight racism by FOCUSING on a person's race as if it were relevant to the topic. Ditto for sexism and ageism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 09:53 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I didn't call you a racist.
I didn't call you an ageist.
I didn't call you a sexist.

I was simply pointing out that you don't fight racism by FOCUSING on a person's race as if it were relevant to the topic. Ditto for sexism and ageism.
I wasn't trying to fight racism, sexism, or ageism. I was just commenting on a thread.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:12 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
It really surprises me how many women get involved in this kind of stuff. One usually thinks this is a male thing and women are more mature so not as likely to get involved.
Really? That is sexist.

Women are no more mature than men. Our brains are the same,unless you are saying you think women are smarter than men,which is not true.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:28 AM

769 posts, read 782,439 times
These forums are an interesting example how people lack empathy.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:23 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
I have empathy for the families of drug addicts, but not as much for the addict.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:11 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
When will people stop doing drugs? Pot, coke, LSD, X, etc.

In regards to pot, don't give that non-sense it comes from the earth and it's good for you. Cocaine also comes from the earth via the leaves of Coca plants.
People in places where coca grows actually do chew coca leaves and make coca leaf tea as a stimulant akin to caffeine. I wouldn't call coca "healthy" but when not processed into cocaine it's a pretty low-risk substance, as I understand it.

I wouldn't say pot is "good for you" either, but the simple truth is that humans don't die from consuming even huge amounts of cannabis. And while people can form a psychological addiction, they don't form a physical dependence, unlike many other legal and illegal substances. I'm not pro-pot, but legally scheduling it equivalent to heroin, as it currently is scheduled, is just nonsensical.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:43 PM

902 posts, read 862,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
By 'giving' to them all you're doing is enabling them.
By asking a homeless person if they would like something to eat, I am enabling them to live another day. Unlike you (most likely), I have worked with the homeless. Rule number 1, never give money. You might as well hand them drugs and/or alcohol.

Offering them a bite to eat does not further any addiction or mental illness as your response inferred. It actually reduces crime.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:47 PM

902 posts, read 862,856 times
Quote:
These forums also are a slice of our society. These folks who lack empathy are not that far removed from the a-hole who drove his Charger through that crowd of people. Not that far at all...

Old 08-16-2017, 02:15 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
That's what I always wondered, but my theory is that it's not done to kill anybody. Users propably just get a "better high" from it. Some though, OD and die. But you can OD and die from non-laced heroin.It's a risk they take to have a better, more addictive product. It's business..risk and reward.
Also, the dealer is often a middleman. He might not even know.
I could be giving them too much credit with my theory though.
Read a book called "The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood" by David Simon. Interesting read. One of the bits in the book is explaining why dealers lace the product, but also has a blurb from a user in that, if a fellow fiend drops from the product, he couldn't handle it but "you can" and you sure enough know where to go after that.

The book is a good delve into what you think could never happen. The intervewees in the book didn't think it could either.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:51 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:
Not really!

Drugs are bad. Not sure how many different ways people need it drilled into their heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events